Send Topic Print
Magnus Effect (Read 5180 times)
ChuckRocks

Leverage Artillery Design
Engineer

The Florida Outback, USA
Magnus Effect
Jan 28th, 2006 at 9:03am

I'm into trebuchets. Visit thehurl.org for more info.
Here are a few facts I've learned from that great site.

1) Because of the way a trebuchet operates, the release of the sling can produce back spin of the projectile.

2) At high-ish velocity, back spin creates positive lift of the projectile.

3) This positive lift is known as the
"MAGNUS EFFECT"

4) Positive lift can improve range of throw.
(http://www.mathpages.com/home/kmath258/kmath258.htm)

Application:
1) An overhand sling-throw with release from between the thumb and forefinger causes fore-spin and therefore may cause a drop ball or sinker throw where the projectile actually dives in a curve into the ground.
(Any one here ever see that?)

2) If the sling is reversed in the hand so that the release end is forward of the retained end, then back spin of the projectile may be produced in enough rotational and forward velocity so as to generate the Magnus Effect and improve range.

I have to make a better belt-sling and try it out.

Anyone else do it this way?

ChuckRocks

(AKA Walker / Visit my Facebook page: at http://www.facebook.com/pages/SiegeMasters/168138883205859 )
IP Logged

Chaotic Rage

Vous etes saoul!

Re: Magnus Effect
Reply #1 - Jan 28th, 2006 at 11:40am

So if you hold the release cord in your thumb and index finger, it will have a negative effect? Do you mean that if you hold it with say your ring or pinky and thumb it will spin better? I hope I understand you. I'll try it.

&&
Roychipoqua  
IP Logged

Matthias
Past Moderator

Gatineau/Ottawa QC, Canada
Reply #2 - Jan 28th, 2006 at 12:29pm

Yup, consistent (american Wink) football spin is the holy grail of throwers using aerodynamic ammo.

As for seeing the effect, if you throw anything remotely round it's pretty hard to miss. Throwing golfballs, I'd guess that spin orientation can have as much as 40% impact on range, as the guys that nose-dive *really* veer off course. With an underhand/sidearm throw I tend to slice them off to the right pretty consistently Smiley

The overhand styles seem more adaptable to different release angles though I find the desirable release-cord-leading hold to be pretty awkward. Thomas
posted a great looking experimental rig
that included a rigid grip designed to make this easier.  Point first is pretty easy though.

Matthias

IP Logged

chaosmage

I love Slinging.org!

Reply #3 - Jan 28th, 2006 at 3:07pm

I have observed something like this going on, but the effect seems negligable at best when taken in to consideration with overall performance.

IP Logged

Tumakas
Descens

I'm slinging in the rain!

Las Vegas, NV
Reply #4 - Jan 29th, 2006 at 2:44am

I think that there is a positive and negative to this:

1. The backspin creates lift, increasing range and possibly giving the projectile the ability to "hover" over the ground for low targets

2. The backspin conflicts with the air rushing over the top, slowing it down, causing a decrease in penetration power and maybe even range.

I've actually been able to get it to hover which looks pretty cool, especially when it just seems to "want" to smash into the beer bottle (the desert around my house has a lot of junk in it). Maybe further tests would clear up whether this is a good or bad thing?

redleadersb HypapinoyskadA  
IP Logged

chaosmage

I love Slinging.org!

Reply #5 - Jan 29th, 2006 at 4:21am

Alright, I think I've figured it out.

Most of the stones I throw arn't spherical. They are ovals.

When you throw an ovular stone, it does initially leave the sling with a downward spiral. However, as the stone flies through the air, it tries to align itself so it's longest point is running paralel to the direction it is travelling in. When this happens, the stone stops spinning downward, because the energy has been transfered. It is now spinning along a different axis, thereby not falling victim to the magnus effect.

IP Logged

ChuckRocks

Engineer

The Florida Outback, USA
Reply #6 - Jan 29th, 2006 at 8:45am

[quote author=Chaotic Rage  link=1138457004/0#1 date=1138466420]So if you hold the release cord in your thumb and index finger, it will have a negative effect? Do you mean that if you hold it with say your ring or pinky and thumb it will spin better? I hope I understand you. I'll try it. [/quote]

I'm not suggesting that it will work with a corded sling, a belt sling would work best for this type of modified throw.

LoboHunter started a thread on making a belt-sling which can be found at: [font=Verdana][color=Blue][u][url]http://www.slinging.org/forum2/yabb/YaBB.cgi?board=1;action=display;num=1136770587;start=
[/url][/u][/color][/font].
When I use my beltsling, I hold the retension end between index and birdflipper fingers. I would normally fold the sling so that the release end came back into my hand between my thumb and index finger knuckle.
But with a reversed fold, I had to let the retension end come out between thumb and index finger and the release end fit under the tension end.
Both ends were sandwitched between index and thumb.

I agree, a football-like "forward-pass" throw is more accurate in many cases. BUT, as an experiment with the right ammo, this is a throwing method all of us should master. I'm getting over 600 feet with oranges.

And no, you can't make things "hover".
Forward motion is required.
[i]Dough[/i]!

ChuckRocks

(AKA Walker / Visit my Facebook page: at http://www.facebook.com/pages/SiegeMasters/168138883205859 )
IP Logged

mgreenfield
Funditor

Milwaukee Wisconsin
Reply #7 - Jan 29th, 2006 at 3:02pm

Any wide-grip released with the palm aimed at the target (like bowling) will put a football spiral on ellipsoid ammo as it rolls out of the pocket.  This is very pretty to see, and can increase range a lot!  

Any wide-grip released with the hand sideways (like offering to shake hands) will put forespin on any ammo as it rolls out of the pocket, causing it to want to dive.  Ugly!!

Some close-grip releases will put backspin on the ammo, causing it to "fly aerodynamically" due to the Mangus effect.   This is also pretty to see, but it's tough to do consistently.  

This could be done consistently with a wide grip IF you could figure out how to release with the hand sideways (like offering to shake hands) BUT releasing the bottom cord NOT the top one.  This would put backspin on the ammo as it rolled out of the pocket.  Can somebody figure out a way to do this easily and consistently??  It would be a big step forward for "slinging science".

IP Logged

Matthias
Past Moderator

Reply #8 - Jan 29th, 2006 at 5:56pm

Hey mgreenfield! Smiley

Take a look at Thomas' post I referenced upthread.  That handle is probably the best way I've seen to throw with backspin. You can sort of do the same thing using a wrist loop, but it's pretty awkward.

I have a bucket full of golfballs that is calling out for a day at the beach. Nice round consistent ammo would be good for experimentation with this design...

Matthias

IP Logged

lobohunter
Interfector Viris Spurii

where be a rock and a
string there be a sling

Cottage Grove or
Reply #9 - Jan 29th, 2006 at 7:07pm

chuck rocks i tried the your back spin tech. I enjoyed the results with my small 17 inch belt sling.
so i did some improv testing.  with the base balls and my 17 inch belt   using a overhead style. and using the average of six tosses for each style. close grip was 235ft back spin was 260ft wide grip football release was 276 ft
nowit must be taken into acount that That my main grip is the foot ball spin grip

Albert Scott C bigbadwolf41 77940+hwy+99+south,+Spc+22  
IP Logged

mgreenfield
Funditor

Milwaukee Wisconsin
Reply #10 - Jan 29th, 2006 at 8:28pm

Matthias, ....wow, that's some rig, but I cant figger out just how it puts backspin on the ball with a close-gripped overhand pitch.   Close grip gives little control over pocket orientation at launch.  The design doesnt seem to reverse the released side of the pocket.  Can you clue me in.   5oz baseballs are pretty heavy ammo!

Golfballs, tho pretty light at about 1.6oz, DO give a great picture of the spin you're launching with. 

I have to think about this backspin-launch puzzle some more.

IP Logged

Matthias
Past Moderator

Reply #11 - Jan 29th, 2006 at 10:39pm

Quote:
Matthias, ....wow, that's some rig, but I cant figger out just how it puts backspin on the ball with a close-gripped overhand pitch.

Isn't it though? Lots to think about in there!

"IF you could figure out how to release with the hand sideways (like offering to shake hands) BUT releasing the bottom cord NOT the top one."

The distance between cords isn't as wide as the grips you use, but it does release the bottom cord, allowing a "shake hands" orientation. The retention cord trails the release side during the throw.  I always get wicked spin using only one finger between my cords, so consistent orientation is the only problem. I bet Thomas' handle give me enough seperation to send em out with backspin.

Agreed that golfballs aare fluffy, but they veer like crazy, and the consistency and availability are nice for tricks like this. Once you get it working we'll move on to the 1" lead spheres Wink

Matthias

IP Logged

ChuckRocks

Engineer

The Florida Outback, USA
Reply #12 - Jan 31st, 2006 at 7:09am

Thomas' flipper gripper thingie works because the top line releases the bottom of the pouch via that lexan trip mechanism; thereby producing backspin.

I'm wondering is that handle can be extended just a little bit for more of a wand-sling. If I orient the pouch to open from the forward side (the side toward the target during the throw), then I think I can get a consistant backspin.

A low sidearm throw, like a lateral pass thrown from the outside, would produce a hook or a slice if speroidal ammo is not released point-on.

IP Logged

mgreenfield
Funditor

Milwaukee Wisconsin
Reply #13 - Jan 31st, 2006 at 9:16am

Wonder how it would work if I:

1/ Put a small toggle on the release cord

2/ Put the retained cord loop on my index finger

3/ Gripped the toggle between my ring and pinkie finger or similar for a wide grip

4/ Pitched overhand with a big open-handed release to free the small toggle upon launch

I like the toggle idea, and tried it once, but kept tossing the whole sling instead of hanging on to the toggle while releasing the knot.   So, clearly, the toggle can be released upon launch.

Anybody want to try this and report back?  Still cold/snow in Wisc.

IP Logged

Matthias
Past Moderator

Reply #14 - Jan 31st, 2006 at 2:07pm

8) I think maybe I'll bow out of this one. Need to get some little pinky dumbbells to work on my gripping strength - or else make sure I've got a solid 150m behind me when I go to throw!

Good line of thinking. I bet you could make a "deadman" release handle that would use a spring loaded thumb-button to drop the cord at the pinky side. A bit like Techstuf's trigger release system.

Matthias

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Chris, Kick, Curious Aardvark, joe_meadmaker, vetryan15, Morphy, Rat Man)