Reply #15 - Feb 4th, 2006 at 12:34am

Why are Cubans illegal?

IP Logged

bigkahuna
past-moderator

Delaware, USA
Re: Cigar thread
Reply #16 - Feb 4th, 2006 at 4:52am

Currently the US has a embargo against all Cuban imports and probably will have one in effect until Castro dies. Very foolish in my opinion. Undecided

Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day. Teach a man to fish and he will sit in a boat and drink beer all day.
John Walker  
IP Logged

chaosmage

I love Slinging.org!

Reply #17 - Feb 6th, 2006 at 9:10pm

Idunno. Embargoes are usually the best non-violent response to a conflict.

I've had a couple cubans. They were alright, but didn't stand out much in my opinion. This could be because my tastes for cigars arn't quite advanced at this point. Or it could be that, like many things in life, it's 90% hype.

IP Logged

fi3l2
Descens

Nothing is Impossible
to a Willing Mind!

State College, PA 16802
Reply #18 - Feb 7th, 2006 at 11:30am

Anyone recommend a good cigar regularly available in most smoking/cigar shops? I live in  an area where "good" cigar shops are hard to come by(meaning I have to drive like 2 hrs to get to one). I am particularly fond of cigars tho.. and yes cigs are nasty...

IP Logged

bigkahuna
past-moderator

Delaware, USA
Reply #19 - Feb 7th, 2006 at 9:39pm

See above Smiley

Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day. Teach a man to fish and he will sit in a boat and drink beer all day.
John Walker  
IP Logged

chaosmage

I love Slinging.org!

Reply #20 - Feb 8th, 2006 at 12:07am

Try a CAO Brazilia. Not *all* that great, but it is one of the more easily found darker cigars. The one I had burned pretty unevenly, but the flavor was nice.

Too bad most standard cigar shops don't carry more darker cigars. I'm developing a fondness for them.

IP Logged

bigkahuna
past-moderator

Delaware, USA
Reply #21 - Feb 8th, 2006 at 4:59am

Aside from the "Fuente" line, Padron also makes a very nice cigar. Macanudos are also very nice. Smiley

John Walker  
IP Logged

chaosmage

I love Slinging.org!

Reply #22 - Feb 10th, 2006 at 1:50pm

I just got done smoking (what I'm guessing to be) one of the Leon Jimenes 1903 robustos.

The first problem I had was an uneven light. The draw was pretty good, and it did produce a good amount of smoke, both of which I enjoy in a cigar. However, for the first half or so the wrapper absolutely refused to light, and only the center burned through. It was hot, and the flavour was much like catfood.

So after cutting the cigar down and relighting after awhile, I finally got it to light up. Pretty enjoyable, with a slight sandalwood flavour, and alot of billowing light smoke. An good draw, too. Unfortunately by this time, I had effectively wasted half the cigar.

So my question is, is this common with this brand or was it stored/lit wrong?

IP Logged

bigkahuna
past-moderator

Delaware, USA
Reply #23 - Feb 11th, 2006 at 8:58pm

You might have trouble if you are trying to smoke outside and it is cold. Cigars for some reason don't burn well in the cold. Or it might be rolled too tight. Take it and roll it between your hands afew times. This should make it easier to draw on. Wink

John Walker  
IP Logged

chaosmage

I love Slinging.org!

Reply #24 - Feb 11th, 2006 at 10:18pm

Huh.

Yeah, it was pretty cold. No wind, though, so I thought it was safe. I guess not!

Well, thanks for the tip. I really did enjoy the draw and flavor of that cigar, and it would have been a real shame if they all lit like that.

IP Logged

bigkahuna
past-moderator

Delaware, USA
Reply #25 - Feb 11th, 2006 at 11:59pm

I got that tip from"Cigar Aficionado Magazine". Glad it helped. I had the same problem so now I only smoke when it's warm. Smiley

John Walker  
IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: David Morningstar, Curious Aardvark, Chris, Masiakasaurus, Rat Man, Bill Skinner, Mauro Fiorentini)