Home Help Search Login

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
copper knives (Read 2962 times)
Hellfire
Ex Member

copper knives
Jan 22nd, 2006 at 6:15pm

Although they arent the best, and they dont keep an edge for very long, they actually work. You may only be able to cut rope or whittle green wood, but they work.
Maybe they are only good for prison shivs or something.

Here is one I made, if you want any semi detailed instructions I'll post how to make them, what material, pics..pics..pics..

IP Logged

Gard

Yup, there are slingers
in Norway too!

Norway
Re: copper knives
Reply #1 - Jan 23rd, 2006 at 6:01am

Looks cool!
How did you make it? Roll Eyes

Gard

You never know what you might get to need, before you need it.

IP Logged

nakram

I love Slinging.org!

Reply #2 - Jan 23rd, 2006 at 10:51am

iv made a few copper knifes out of pipes they make good sandwich cutting knifes

IP Logged

slingbadger
Interfector Viris Spurii

Don't Badger a Badger

Akron NY
Reply #3 - Jan 23rd, 2006 at 12:18pm

If I remeber right, copper really needs no heat to work with. The shape can be cut out of any copper, then simply hammered into shape. I think the natives did it this way, since they didn't know( at first) how to work metal with fire.

The greatest of all the accomplishments of 20th cent. science has been the discovery of human ignorance  The main difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has it's limits.-Einstein   I'm getting psychic as I get older. Or is that psychotic?

IP Logged

Matthias
Past Moderator

Gatineau/Ottawa QC, Canada
Reply #4 - Jan 23rd, 2006 at 3:53pm

Copper (and copper alloys) work harden, so they get less ductile/more brittle as you repeatedly bend/hammer etc. This is the trick you use to break a wire by bending it back and forth. If you are working with large pieces, you probably will need some heat to anneal the copper and put it back into a workable state. Keep bashing away without letting the material "relax" and you are likely to get cracking.

The edge itself can be hardened by beating it into rough sharpness rather than grinding, followed by a final hone.

I think copper tools were pretty well known in egypt? When used for stonework, some of the "grit" gets embedded in the surface and helps to increase the cutting ability of the tool.

Matthias

IP Logged

Hellfire
Ex Member

Reply #5 - Jan 23rd, 2006 at 5:01pm

I took a 3/8" piece of telephone cable (got it legally, a buddy gave me a ten foot seciton of it), and then cut out a 5" piece. Hammered it flat, kept flipping it over, got a little clip point on it. The trick is to pound it enough not for it to crack, or else you have to anneal it, but to pound it enough for it to be hard. Then, I took a small claw hammer and hammered just the edge. No sharpening, just filed off the corrosion. In effect, it is a bi-metal blade, some fairly ductile copper in the middle and well worked harder copped on the edges. I tried posting pics of it "in the making", but my hard drive crashed and I lost all the pics. Will try to show the method though. Its kind of fun. I tried doing the same thing with a piece of re-bar but I need a heavier hammer.

IP Logged

Gun
Interfector Viris Spurii
Past Moderator

Slinging  Viking

The Ozarks of Ark & Mo
Reply #6 - Jan 24th, 2006 at 8:54pm

Just a quick question about the copper. You say that it dulls quickly and if easliy hammered. Can you bend the blade by hand when it is done? Just curious. It look like a good way to learn how to hammer before you start smithing the hard stuff.

"A Knifeless man is a lifeless man" Old Nordic Proverb

IP Logged

Hellfire
Ex Member

Reply #7 - Jan 24th, 2006 at 10:00pm

Yes you can bend the blade by hand, but it is probably safest to use a vise, or at least wear leather gloves. Maybe I should try stabbing werewolves.

IP Logged

BrianS
Descens

Does Tux love to Sling?!?

NY, USA
Reply #8 - Jan 24th, 2006 at 10:33pm

Gun,

Believe it or not a good and cheap way to learn how to beat on steel/iron is to use modeling clay (the non hardening type).  It moves like steel/iron just a lot easier.  That's what I've been doing.   I got this idea from a beginning blacksmitting book.

Hope that helps.

IP Logged

bigkahuna
past-moderator

Delaware, USA
Reply #9 - Jan 24th, 2006 at 10:38pm

You need a silver blade for werewolves Wink

Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day. Teach a man to fish and he will sit in a boat and drink beer all day.
John Walker  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: David Morningstar, Bill Skinner, Chris, Mauro Fiorentini, Curious Aardvark, Masiakasaurus, Rat Man)