Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Prehistoric Life Festival? (Read 1803 times)
Ęthelbera
Interfector Viris Spurii

Resident Cavegirl

grieving- august 13th/09 :(
Prehistoric Life Festival?
Jan 21st, 2006 at 9:23pm

Nothing incredibly awesome or anything but kind of cool anyway. I was searching for some sort of re-enactment of prehistoric life and found this article from Korea,

"Under the theme of "Meeting of Prehistory and the 21st Century," the festival will feature a reenactment of the building of a dolmen, prehistoric life experience, competition among tourists to become the "chief priest" and various performances of traditional and modern art like dances, music and plays.
"

http://english.yna.co.kr/Engnews/20050408/510100000020050408091852E1.html

...&&Each all must his end abide. august 13th, rip Sad&&Varje man är sin egen konung.
WWW Ęthelbera  
IP Logged

slingbadger
Interfector Viris Spurii

Don't Badger a Badger

Akron NY
Re: Prehistoric Life Festival?
Reply #1 - Jan 22nd, 2006 at 10:31am

I believe that there are Iron Age and Bronze Age reenactors in Europe. Don't know if they are in America yet

The greatest of all the accomplishments of 20th cent. science has been the discovery of human ignorance  The main difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has it's limits.-Einstein   I'm getting psychic as I get older. Or is that psychotic?

IP Logged

Willeke
Interfector Viris Spurii
Past Moderator

Give me some string and
I know what to do.

Netherlands
Reply #2 - Jan 22nd, 2006 at 10:52am

I have worked part-time in a park that had re-enactment as well as permanent buildings. Runnen from mid stoneage up to 1425, and often there would be groups come in that did re-enact one time periode. Prehistoric groups were rare, but I have heard of a few places that have rebuild villages from the oldest periodes that villages were build. All of them in Europe, but then, I did not have contacts like these in America at the time.

Willeke

"Never underestimate what a simple person can do with clever tools, nor what a clever person can do with simple tools." - Ian Fieggen - Writer of A booklet on lanyards, PM for info - Member IGKT, Netherlands
Bad spellers of the world: untie!
IP Logged

Roy

That was'nt a duck...
 that was a rock.

Foothills of the Appalachians
Reply #3 - Jan 22nd, 2006 at 11:21am

Native America was pretty much still in the stone age when the Europeans made it over here.   Some tribes were more advanced than others,  but thats about it.  There are a few groups that do the Viking thing, but most re-enacting is based around later European settlements.

IP Logged

Ęthelbera
Interfector Viris Spurii

Resident Cavegirl

grieving- august 13th/09 :(
Reply #4 - Jan 22nd, 2006 at 3:09pm

I know there are bronze age re-enactments but I've not heard of paleolithic ones. It would be based mainly on speculation I suppose.

...&&Each all must his end abide. august 13th, rip Sad&&Varje man är sin egen konung.
WWW Ęthelbera  
IP Logged

Jeff_S.
Tiro

Central Texas
Reply #5 - Feb 2nd, 2006 at 5:14pm

slingbadger wrote: " I believe that there are Iron Age and Bronze Age reenactors in Europe. Don't know if they are in America yet."

True, sort of. There is growing number of Iron Age reenactors in the US. Many folks do this in response, or as a detractraction, from the Roman reeactor groups. I got started in it because I like very early Celtic archeology. I'm in an Iron Age group in Texas and we're pretty active going to public events and traveling around the state for demos.

http://www.freewebs.com/texascoritani/

Bronze Age reenactment in the US is just around the corner. There are a number of sites and folks dedicated to that period. This might be the best place to start:

http://reenactor.net/Ancient/greek/greek_main.html

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Mauro Fiorentini, Masiakasaurus, Chris, David Morningstar, Bill Skinner, Curious Aardvark, Rat Man)