Send Topic Print
Slinging.org Wiki (Read 2362 times)
Chris
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Rocks!

USA
Slinging.org Wiki
Jan 20th, 2006 at 6:55pm

I've set up a wiki on the site to spur some interest in reviving the old book project (aka Project Goliath).  You can access it here:

http://www.slinging.org/wiki

For people who aren't familiar with wiki's, the best way I can describe it is that anyone can go into it and make changes, make new sections, add pictures, etc.  You really just need to play around a little bit (correct a spelling mistake, add a few bullet points, etc.) 

You don't need to write production quality literature.  Even adding a few bullet points, references, or ideas to a page is useful.  Almost all are blank at this point.  Just click on a topic and hit the edit tab at the top of the page. 

Chris

IP Logged

CanDo
Interfector Viris Spurii
Past Moderator

New England, USA
Re: Slinging.org Wiki
Reply #1 - Jan 21st, 2006 at 5:45pm

AWESOME!!! i have a pretty extensive record on wikipedia, so i'll monitor it for vandalism though i doubt that will be a problem. what we do need is a fact checker (or several) and a record of what has been varified and what hasn't. i'll check it out and get back to you within a day or two.

IP Logged

CanDo
Interfector Viris Spurii
Past Moderator

New England, USA
Reply #2 - Jan 21st, 2006 at 5:49pm

o and when contributing to the wiki, can you please first create an account (prefferably under the same name you use here). it literally only takes a couple of seconds. that will make it a lot easier to contact you if nesecary, and the edit will hold more credibility in the eyes of editors.

and another thought... should this be listed in project goliaths forum also??

IP Logged

Willeke
Interfector Viris Spurii
Past Moderator

Give me some string and
I know what to do.

Netherlands
Reply #3 - Jan 21st, 2006 at 6:52pm

Being on Wiki is mentioned in the Project Goliath forum too, but I think that all important posts concerning the Wiki project should go there too.

Willeke

"Never underestimate what a simple person can do with clever tools, nor what a clever person can do with simple tools." - Ian Fieggen - Writer of A booklet on lanyards, PM for info - Member IGKT, Netherlands
Bad spellers of the world: untie!
IP Logged

Tint
Interfector Viris Spurii
Past Moderator

Hong Kong
Reply #4 - Jan 21st, 2006 at 9:28pm

Okay let's do this!

I listed some casting styles.

IP Logged

CanDo
Interfector Viris Spurii
Past Moderator

New England, USA
Reply #5 - Jan 23rd, 2006 at 1:10pm

Uhh, any admins out there, help. we need a way to upload image and/or video files to the wiki!!! i have a nicely labeled photo of my simple sling for the 'anatomy of the sling' page, but can't upload it  Sad

IP Logged

Johnny
Funditor

Goodlettsville,TN
Reply #6 - Jan 23rd, 2006 at 1:53pm

I've added some illustrations to the various time groups(Hebrew, Greek, Roman and Aztec). I'll try to load some more later...
Johnny

I also love sushi..!
TNslinger  
IP Logged

CanDo
Interfector Viris Spurii
Past Moderator

New England, USA
Reply #7 - Jan 23rd, 2006 at 2:15pm

nice, sayy... how did you get them on there?, i get an error (http://www.slinging.org/wiki/index.php?title=Special:Upload)

IP Logged

Johnny
Funditor

Goodlettsville,TN
Reply #8 - Jan 23rd, 2006 at 2:19pm

I loaded them from photobucket...

I also love sushi..!
TNslinger  
IP Logged

Matthias
Past Moderator

Gatineau/Ottawa QC, Canada
Reply #9 - Jan 23rd, 2006 at 3:42pm

We don't have file upload capability switched on in any og the Slinging.org pages for the usual reasons. For the wiki, we should continue to either send the files in to Chris at info@slinging.org or host them remotely using services like photobucket. In either case, part of the management of the wiki will be to ensure that all images retained are archived locally. Even images that are already linked from the slinging.org server should probably have a duplicate "wiki"-referenced version to kmake keeping track of things a little easier down the road.

This is all work that can take place later as pages are finalised. It is actually quite a bit easier to take care of off site links on the wiki than in the forum, where we run a greater risk of losing old images hosted off-site.

To embed an image, just drop the direct link url (should end with the filename) into the page - no tags required.

Matthias

IP Logged

CanDo
Interfector Viris Spurii
Past Moderator

New England, USA
Reply #10 - Jan 23rd, 2006 at 5:34pm

Chris, I think you should grant adminship to people who've been with Slinging.org for a while, and who you think are going to be able to help the wiki a lot.

IP Logged

CanDo
Interfector Viris Spurii
Past Moderator

New England, USA
Reply #11 - Jan 23rd, 2006 at 7:35pm

woot, only seven trys and i got a diagram of a sling up on that 'anatomy' page

IP Logged

Chris
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Rocks!

USA
Reply #12 - Jan 23rd, 2006 at 7:35pm

I've enabled image uploading.  If this gets abused, I'll have to disable it.  Please continue to email me image for use on the forum. 

I don't mind granting admin status to a few members.  For now, lets just see how the ball rolls.  If the number of edits starts to bloat, I'll make an announcement.

Chris

IP Logged

Johnny
Funditor

Goodlettsville,TN
Reply #13 - Jan 23rd, 2006 at 9:11pm

Chris,
Did I break protocol..?
Sorry if I did...
Johnny

I also love sushi..!
TNslinger  
IP Logged

Matthias
Past Moderator

Gatineau/Ottawa QC, Canada
Reply #14 - Jan 23rd, 2006 at 9:34pm

Not at all Johnny.  Smiley

Now that we have the ability to centrally locate files associated with the wiki, it's probably a good idea to put a second copy on the wiki server and change the links. It's an easy job to do later as well, so we can always move stuff around as we edit the pages. I suppose one aspect of uploading the image yourself is that there is more implicit permission to use the image - the poster is identified and has taken responsibility for the content.  Something we'll have to figure out a bit more.

Matthias

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Kick, Curious Aardvark, Morphy, Rat Man, vetryan15, joe_meadmaker, Chris)