A belt as a sling (Read 2673 times)
lobohunter
Interfector Viris Spurii

where be a rock and a
string there be a sling

Cottage Grove or
A belt as a sling
Jan 8th, 2006 at 8:36pm

Ok as a sling goes it's only 18 inches long and it is very wide also has a interresting toggle but not ony is it with you at all times it holds up your pants pretty well too
all i did was take my old leather belt fold it in half make a slit
the buckle works well as a toggle obvosouly doesnbt need a retention knot lol...

Albert Scott C bigbadwolf41 77940+hwy+99+south,+Spc+22  
IP Logged

slingbadger
Interfector Viris Spurii

Don't Badger a Badger

Akron NY
Re: A belt as a sling
Reply #1 - Jan 9th, 2006 at 1:44pm

Does remind me of a funny story.
  I had just gotten done doing a sling demo at a Medieval Faire in Tonawanda, N.Y.
  As I was milling in the crowd, I heard the voice of a 8 year old boy
  " Ma, can I have Dad's old belt to make a sling?"
  I turned around to see the boy getting " The Look" from his Mom. That answered that question.

The greatest of all the accomplishments of 20th cent. science has been the discovery of human ignorance  The main difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has it's limits.-Einstein   I'm getting psychic as I get older. Or is that psychotic?

IP Logged

bigkahuna
past-moderator

Delaware, USA
Reply #2 - Jan 9th, 2006 at 1:57pm

I like it. It's so simple, kinda like "Linus" and his blanket sling. Now that I think of it, has anyone tried a Bandana sling? That should be pretty easy also. Cheesy

Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day. Teach a man to fish and he will sit in a boat and drink beer all day.
John Walker  
IP Logged

Fritz_the_Cat

Eat Danish cheese

Detroit Michigan USA
Reply #3 - Jan 9th, 2006 at 2:30pm

My brother in law made a belt sling . We have to test it when the weather improves . Theres two slots and I'm suggestin he would make a slice in the belt and resew like the asymetric sling in another thread . Its not cupping the way I'd like . Plus I'm going to suggest thinning out the "strings" a bit . The concept is cool for a survival belt . Cheesy

Lo there do I see my Father , Lo there do I see my Mother , and my Sisters and my Brothers, Lo there do I see a line of my people back to the beginning, Lo they do call to me they bid me to take my place among them in the halls of Vahalla where the brave may live forever

IP Logged

Taiki
Interfector Viris Spurii

Don't tell my mom i'm
here will you...

belgium
Reply #4 - Jan 9th, 2006 at 2:59pm

indeed just don't forget to get pants that fit or you'll be hunting bare ass (couldn't resist Embarrassed) great idea lobo Grin bored again right ? Tongue

Taiki  
IP Logged

Fritz_the_Cat

Eat Danish cheese

Detroit Michigan USA
Reply #5 - Jan 11th, 2006 at 11:41am

I'll just wear two belts . One for function and one for slinging . 8)

Lo there do I see my Father , Lo there do I see my Mother , and my Sisters and my Brothers, Lo there do I see a line of my people back to the beginning, Lo they do call to me they bid me to take my place among them in the halls of Vahalla where the brave may live forever

IP Logged

SEB

Oh dear...there goes the
neighbourhood

Netherlands
Reply #6 - Jan 11th, 2006 at 2:08pm

It's the bestcamouflaged weapon when worn.
But beware to run off with your belt slinging in battle!!  Cheesy

Sander

is it a bird? is it a plane? no, it's a...DUCK!!&&ffffFFFkadef!!...auw, that's not a duck, thats a rock!!

IP Logged

ChuckRocks

Leverage Artillery Design
Engineer

The Florida Outback, USA
Reply #7 - Jan 12th, 2006 at 7:02am

Just started one of my own.
This belt is 1.25" wide and 41" overall length.

I took off the buckle but I want to sew a ringfinger loop onto the end. I think I'll cut a half-inch hole into the other end for a release loop.

Belts are multipurpose tools.
They hold up your kilt, provide a place to hang your dagger, strop you razor, spank your kids and/or wife.
And now everyone is turning belts into slings.

(AKA Walker / Visit my Facebook page: at http://www.facebook.com/pages/SiegeMasters/168138883205859 )
IP Logged

lobohunter
Interfector Viris Spurii

where be a rock and a
string there be a sling

Cottage Grove or
Reply #8 - Jan 12th, 2006 at 9:21pm

than you chucks Pleasetell us how you belt sling works out  Mine is awsome i never have to worry about to heavy of a stone with this bad boy lol

IP Logged

Fritz_the_Cat

Eat Danish cheese

Detroit Michigan USA
Reply #9 - Jan 12th, 2006 at 11:02pm

Chuckrocks , You forgot that you can always spank yourself  Grin

We are going to test my Brother in laws belt /sling this weekend . I'm going to ask him not to do the "helicopter throw" as I think its more dangerous to onlookers . At least in the beginning . What do you guys Sad think is the safest throw for the onlookers safty ?

IP Logged

Willeke
Interfector Viris Spurii
Past Moderator

Give me some string and
I know what to do.

Netherlands
Reply #10 - Jan 13th, 2006 at 10:53am

I would say an underhand throw, esp. if you aim to keep the rock low all the way.

Willeke

"Never underestimate what a simple person can do with clever tools, nor what a clever person can do with simple tools." - Ian Fieggen - Writer of A booklet on lanyards, PM for info - Member IGKT, Netherlands
Bad spellers of the world: untie!
IP Logged

Fritz_the_Cat

Eat Danish cheese

Detroit Michigan USA
Reply #11 - Jan 13th, 2006 at 6:37pm

I'm showing my B.I.L. your post for safties sake . Hes a bit "headstrong" and I don't feel like wearing a helmat . Shocked

IP Logged

lobohunter
Interfector Viris Spurii

where be a rock and a
string there be a sling

Cottage Grove or
Reply #12 - Jan 13th, 2006 at 7:33pm

In my personal opinon over hand because it resticts misses to front and back and in the general style shorter range than
under hand nothing like a 200 yd miss fire
and i have had them lol 
on a futher note pulled off the belt rtoday at the park underhanded some baseballs they went a good seventy five yards not bad i guess for such a short sling. Wanted to try the baseballs inna longer sling but found that I had none with a pocket that would hold

IP Logged

ChuckRocks

Leverage Artillery Design
Engineer

The Florida Outback, USA
Re: BeltSling ala LoboHunter
Reply #13 - Jan 16th, 2006 at 7:34am

BeltSling test complete.
Not bad, not bad.
Still working solo, photos will have to wait.

What I did:
A) I cut two parallel slots in one end for my ring finger to slip through as a retainer loop.
B) I also cut a dime sized hole in the other end for a release grip.
C) After making sure it felt right in my hand, I folded it, marked the center and cut the pouch-slot, which is sized for tangerines. (Florida has to import her rocks.)

Testing method:
Testing was conducted with tangerines.
Testing consisted of attempts to throw overhand, sidearm, modified underhand and natural underhand.
Testing was done with four people, three of whom had never even seen a sling before.
Testing as performed for both distance and accuracy.

Good Points to observe:
1) The stiffness of the leather is a good feel for a short sling.
2) Helicopter swinging did not twist the lines at all.
3) Oversized slot will still hold smaller sized projectiles.
4) Smooth side/rough side of belt allows change of friction for different projectiles.
5 a) Consistant functioning of stiff belt allows getting used to it in a hurry. ("Learn to sling in 2 easy lessons")
5 b) "Baseball" throwing method quickly learned by using this sling.

Other than good points:
1) Belt was too short to start with.
2) Underhand throws harder to perform due to flat-stiff leather resisting small circumference spinning.
3) Sidearm does not appear as accurate as overhand.
4) Overhand was modified to attempt learning the baseball method with mixed results.
5) Belt leather does not roll up and fit in one's pocketess, my preciousssss.

Summary:
The testing shows that a belt can be made into a highly serviceable sling with a minimal amount of effort.
Although this belt-sling can be used very accurately, distance throws should be performed with something longer.
Discounting the lack of skill by most of the testing party, the sling performed most accurately in the so-called Baseball Throwing Method, in which the sling is held at rest and hanging next to the push-off leg, then swung and released overhand in one baseball-like pitch without winding up.
(In my opinion this method is more like an inverted and reversed underhand softball hard throw.)

Credit:
I want to thank Lobo Hunter for his original concept and encouragement.
I want to thank my neighbor for supplying the tangerines without knowing.
I want to thank the Church for providing a safe place to hurl.
And I want to thank the house next to the church for not calling the cops when I dropped a large tangerine on her roof from 600 feet away.
(Hang time: eight seconds)

ChuckRocks
« Last Edit: Jan 29th, 2006 at 8:25am by ChuckRocks »  

(AKA Walker / Visit my Facebook page: at http://www.facebook.com/pages/SiegeMasters/168138883205859 )
IP Logged

lobohunter
Interfector Viris Spurii

where be a rock and a
string there be a sling

Cottage Grove or
Reply #14 - Jan 22nd, 2006 at 12:15pm

Wow Thank you Chucks for anothe job well done. I have been thinking about scroureing thrift stores And trying to find a heavy set mans dress belt A narrow on at about 56 inches long or so. i would have to punch hole closer on the belt and amst double the extra.  but that would give me a wearable 28inch sling

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Curious Aardvark, joe_meadmaker, Kick, Rat Man, Chris, Morphy, vetryan15)