Send Topic Print
Curious (Read 5215 times)
Wrenn
Tiro

I love Slinging.org!

Adelaide, Australia
Re: Curious
Reply #15 - Jan 9th, 2006 at 5:32am

I am working on accuracy at the moment starting with a 50cm by 50cm target at 12 meters. Working towards a consistent 80% accuracy rating before I go to a smaller target or longer distance.

As for accuracy vs power, Im the opposite of Tint. In all physical type activities (martial arts, canoeing etc) I have been involved in its alway been accepted that you work on technique first with low power. Then when you have the technique correct you build up your power.

IP Logged

Roy

That was'nt a duck...
 that was a rock.

Foothills of the Appalachians
Reply #16 - Jan 9th, 2006 at 8:08am

tint,
  I build mostly flintlock muzzleloaders, but have re-stocked a few modern firearms as well.  Thanks for the welcome  Grin
  I was thinking that when and if I get the hang of this, trying to sling hickory nuts.  We have a good number of them here and the weight and size should be uniform.  Anyone try this?

IP Logged

lobohunter
Interfector Viris Spurii

where be a rock and a
string there be a sling

Cottage Grove or
Reply #17 - Jan 9th, 2006 at 11:06am

Hello Roy welcome to our joyful little group
the hickory nut sounds like great practice ammo I have often used walnuts and horse chest nuts for the same reasons
i would sugest you starting off with the over hand style.
usaly the most familar. Its like tossing a base ball or throwing a engish dart. As for length no longer than a folded length of the distance between your firing arm shoulder and your out stretched none folding arm pinched fingers. Other reasons I sugest over hand is. It limits your goof ups to front and back
also has inherantly less distance than under hand. Wich also means a smaller area to keep safe from damage.
Well once  again welcome

Albert Scott C bigbadwolf41 77940+hwy+99+south,+Spc+22  
IP Logged

Rodders
Tiro

when a date falls from
heaven open your mouth

uk
Reply #18 - Jan 9th, 2006 at 12:12pm

hot tip. dont sling rocks near yor car. its expensive Embarrassed

IP Logged

Lionheart
Descens

Sling when you're winning

Near Manchester, England
Reply #19 - Jan 9th, 2006 at 12:40pm

For me i like it like this:
Accuracy- when holding you're hand loosely at your side, the distance from hand to floor should be the same as from finger loop to pouch.
When going for accuracy i also use figure of 8 rather than just plain overarm, i find i jus tget no power with a normal over arm, but more accuracy than with under arm.

Distance- from heart to floor should equal loop to pouch
I go underarm for distance

The smoothness of the rock is more important for accuracy than distance throwing, as with really rough rocks they spin funny and go anywhere!

I'm slinging in the rain, such a glorious feeling...

IP Logged

Roy

That was'nt a duck...
 that was a rock.

Reply #20 - Jan 9th, 2006 at 3:53pm

I gave it a bit of a go...  no bruises yet. Grin  I have seemed to remember the tear in my shoulder though Tongue May have to become a lefty for a while.  Could get interesting.

IP Logged

lobohunter
Interfector Viris Spurii

where be a rock and a
string there be a sling

Cottage Grove or
Reply #21 - Jan 10th, 2006 at 7:31pm

lol could video tape all future attempts we may need a hazards of the sling safety video lol Grin just kidding good luck

IP Logged

Roy

That was'nt a duck...
 that was a rock.

Reply #22 - Jan 11th, 2006 at 8:48pm

alright has anyone tried slinging with there other hand?  If I get this down maybe I could be a duel slinger! Grin  (Progress is slow, but my right arm feels better)

IP Logged

Tint
Interfector Viris Spurii
Past Moderator

Hong Kong
Reply #23 - Jan 11th, 2006 at 11:34pm

I tried but I am hopeless.  I guess I am very right hand dominent.  There are historic records of slingers that can do both hands very well, though.  So it is worth a try!

IP Logged

Roy

That was'nt a duck...
 that was a rock.

Reply #24 - Jan 12th, 2006 at 6:45am

well I don't have a dominant eye and I can shoot a bow either handed, mind I can't draw a heavier bow with my left as I can with my right.  Maybe theres hope.

IP Logged

Willeke
Interfector Viris Spurii
Past Moderator

Give me some string and
I know what to do.

Netherlands
Reply #25 - Jan 12th, 2006 at 10:59am

When I started slinging I did use my right hand but did a couple of shucks with the left every time before going home, At first the improvements I had worked on with my right hand came naturaly for my left hand too. But after a little while my left had stayed at the same level while my right hand kept improving. (That was when I came beyond the bare basics but still early on.)
So I stoped spending time on my left hand. But nest time I sling I might try it again.

I am ambidextrous, but cultural a right hander, although I can do almost every easy to learn thing in mirror image with my left hand without thinking about it.

Willeke

"Never underestimate what a simple person can do with clever tools, nor what a clever person can do with simple tools." - Ian Fieggen - Writer of A booklet on lanyards, PM for info - Member IGKT, Netherlands
Bad spellers of the world: untie!
IP Logged

Roy

That was'nt a duck...
 that was a rock.

Reply #26 - Jan 12th, 2006 at 8:47pm

Showed progress and shoulder didn't bother me Grin   I actually hit near what I was looking at, not much power in it though.  May have to start stepping into it a bit, give my shoulder a bit more of a work out.  

IP Logged

lobohunter
Interfector Viris Spurii

where be a rock and a
string there be a sling

Cottage Grove or
Reply #27 - Jan 12th, 2006 at 9:16pm

we did a poll a whgile back on here and it seeem that more than th1/20 was left handed on here

IP Logged

Roy

That was'nt a duck...
 that was a rock.

Reply #28 - Jan 12th, 2006 at 9:21pm

My father and grandfather was and is a lefty, so I sort of learned how to do things backwards, that and having dyslexia is a real winning combo. Roll Eyes

IP Logged

Willeke
Interfector Viris Spurii
Past Moderator

Give me some string and
I know what to do.

Netherlands
Reply #29 - Jan 13th, 2006 at 10:51am

I had an unofficial count on members with dyslectia once and came to a high percentage. Nearer one in four than the one in ten I am told is the official number.
(Some people because they said they are, some just by seeing their spelling, so the percentage is no way trustworthy.)
But you can feel at home here as Dyslectic person too.

Willeke

"Never underestimate what a simple person can do with clever tools, nor what a clever person can do with simple tools." - Ian Fieggen - Writer of A booklet on lanyards, PM for info - Member IGKT, Netherlands
Bad spellers of the world: untie!
IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Curious Aardvark, Kick, Chris, Morphy, Rat Man, vetryan15, joe_meadmaker)