Send Topic Print
Curious (Read 5210 times)
Roy

That was'nt a duck...
 that was a rock.

Foothills of the Appalachians
Curious
Jan 8th, 2006 at 3:48pm

After building various firearms, bows and arrows, thought I'd try my hand at clobbering myself with a rock. Shocked  Roll Eyes
Do you think it is easier to start slinging heavier objects than lighter ones?  And should I work on accuracy first rather than distance or power?  I guess it all starts with technique and doing the same thing over and over, right?  Thanks!

IP Logged

Taiki
Interfector Viris Spurii

Don't tell my mom i'm
here will you...

belgium
Re: Curious
Reply #1 - Jan 8th, 2006 at 3:59pm

IMO i have noticed that its easyer to start with heavy stones and go for range first

this will give you good tech and good speed  wich is needed for getting good shots  Grin

Taiki  
IP Logged

Roy

That was'nt a duck...
 that was a rock.

Reply #2 - Jan 8th, 2006 at 4:03pm

Thats what I was sort of thinking...  better chance to clobber myself Grin.

IP Logged

Taiki
Interfector Viris Spurii

Don't tell my mom i'm
here will you...

belgium
Reply #3 - Jan 8th, 2006 at 4:24pm

yeah that too

best thing when you feel the stone slip is duck and cover your head  Grin
might be safe to wear a helmet if your not sure first time arond never needed one myself but i did shatter a fair few roof slate's with my first attemts at getting a stone forward (all it wanted to do was go straight skywards)

Taiki  
IP Logged

Roy

That was'nt a duck...
 that was a rock.

Reply #4 - Jan 8th, 2006 at 7:48pm

Quote:
(all it wanted to do was go straight skywards)

yep had that happen, just makes you worry a bit when you don't here it hit after a while.

IP Logged

chaosmage

I love Slinging.org!

Reply #5 - Jan 8th, 2006 at 8:04pm

I'd say try for accuracy first, because then it becomes embedded in your brain the "cause and effect" of the sling. You fling it, your mind does a million little calculations, and something down range goes "POW!"

When I started off with trying to get a maximum range, the stone flew all over the place, and was very dissappointing. It wasn't till I practiced slinging for accuracy that I could actually manage a hundred yard throw when I switched back to slinging for distance. So I guess my alalogy is, would you rather learn to drive in a volkswagen rabbit or a formula one car?

IP Logged

Taiki
Interfector Viris Spurii

Don't tell my mom i'm
here will you...

belgium
Reply #6 - Jan 8th, 2006 at 8:09pm

good point too krieg but while i was trying for accuracy i got my stone falling short of my target all the time and thats way worse then having it going all over the place Tongue

Taiki  
IP Logged

Roy

That was'nt a duck...
 that was a rock.

Reply #7 - Jan 8th, 2006 at 8:09pm

o.k. long sling, short sling?  weight and or size of projectile that you think I  should use? Grin

IP Logged

Taiki
Interfector Viris Spurii

Don't tell my mom i'm
here will you...

belgium
Reply #8 - Jan 8th, 2006 at 8:20pm

up to you really a long sling will help you more in the range department but will really work against you in accuracy the reverse is true for short ones (like who would have thought right Tongue)

weight well that i think is your call just pick up a (un) healthy looking (its all in the perspective) stone and give it a twirl

Taiki  
IP Logged

Roy

That was'nt a duck...
 that was a rock.

Reply #9 - Jan 8th, 2006 at 8:37pm

Thanks,  I'll report back on any injuries Shocked Grin

IP Logged

Gun
Interfector Viris Spurii
Past Moderator

Slinging  Viking

The Ozarks of Ark & Mo
Reply #10 - Jan 8th, 2006 at 9:03pm

I would start with a 35 inch sling (the length from your finger to the pouch with a stone in it). It seams to me to be right in the middle. Not to big and not to small.

"A Knifeless man is a lifeless man" Old Nordic Proverb

IP Logged

Tint
Interfector Viris Spurii
Past Moderator

Hong Kong
Reply #11 - Jan 8th, 2006 at 9:24pm

Welcome to the forum Roy!  Thanks for trying out our hobby here, I hope you find it as addicting as the rest of us.  What fire arms have you built?  You are most welcome to post threads and share your knowedge with us.

Back to slinging, I would start with a short sling, no more than 24 inches folded, and heavy ammo becuse that would give you the most "feel".

As to pratice for range or accuracy at the begining, I am an advocate for power and range.  Once you can get the power you know you are doing the motion efficiently.  With that technique accuracy should come naturally.  But if a beginer focus too much on accuracy and do puppy shots, it would be hard to develop power afterwards.

That's my two cents.

See you around.

IP Logged

BrianS
Descens

Does Tux love to Sling?!?

NY, USA
Reply #12 - Jan 8th, 2006 at 9:58pm

When you guys are practicing for accuracy how far away (in yards or meters) do you stand away from the target?

Also, how big a target do you use?

IP Logged

Taiki
Interfector Viris Spurii

Don't tell my mom i'm
here will you...

belgium
Reply #13 - Jan 8th, 2006 at 10:35pm

hmm i can't really say i have hit a lot of things but being cooped up in here for nearly six months since we moved and my idea of spending time has been sitting in front of the pc on my steadily growing behind my aim can not have gotten any better

but i shoot at trees most of the time  Grin as they don't try and hit me back are easy to find and need no prep  Grin

Taiki  
IP Logged

chaosmage

I love Slinging.org!

Reply #14 - Jan 8th, 2006 at 11:36pm

Quote:
o.k. long sling, short sling?  weight and or size of projectile that you think I  should use? Grin

My personal preference is a sling that comes down to about my ankle when held with a rock in it with my fist at my side. The best projectile is a bit bigger than a golfball. Try a river (or a yuppy's yard) for some good stones.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: joe_meadmaker, Kick, vetryan15, Chris, Rat Man, Morphy, Curious Aardvark)