AjlouniBoy
Descens

Sling smarter, not harder!

Fort Worth, Texas, USA
Re: assyrian slingers
Reply #15 - Jan 8th, 2006 at 3:31pm

Sander,

Excellent work!

I have always liked the Assyrian Slinger bas-reliefs and once trekked out to the site of Lachish in southern Israel to reenact the assault.

For slings with leather thongs I use the full hand grip depicted.

Question:  Why is the release cord so long?  Multiple Assyrian sources show this.  Do you suppose they have wrapped the retention cord around the hand to "choke up" and thus have both short and long configurations for the same sling?

AjlouniBoy

Like tying a stone in a sling is the giving of honor to a fool.&&Proverbs 26:8

IP Logged

Fritz_the_Cat

Eat Danish cheese

Detroit Michigan USA
Reply #16 - Jan 9th, 2006 at 11:21am

Yes thay is the dog . An Assyrian version of the ancient Mastiff . Are there any others ? I think they used them for war The Romans did .

Is that the original or a copy ?  Smiley

Lo there do I see my Father , Lo there do I see my Mother , and my Sisters and my Brothers, Lo there do I see a line of my people back to the beginning, Lo they do call to me they bid me to take my place among them in the halls of Vahalla where the brave may live forever

IP Logged

SEB

Oh dear...there goes the
neighbourhood

Netherlands
Reply #17 - Jan 9th, 2006 at 2:28pm

>>and once trekked out to the site of Lachish in southern Israel to reenact the assault.<<

That sounds great, reenact as in refight the battle?
or like going through the tracks of war again?

>>Do you suppose they have wrapped the retention cord around the hand to "choke up" and thus have both short and long configurations for the same sling?<<

I thought about this before but came to no other conclusion than yours. But although the details are rather high, I never saw cord wrapped aroud wrists(so around hands could be a reason for this). I read somewhere that assyrians were supposed to have used wristloops. And thats one of the reasons I started at first using that too. The other reason was to use tha 2 lenghts possebillety(shorter; loop around wrist, longer; loop around fingers). Only I did not like the long release cord all that much. I got the feeling it was more of a holdback on speed and a direction blur.
This was with a leather sling. About 5 times the stones cut peaces(about 5-10cm) off when released.
Maybe it was due to the sort of leather, maybe the lenght of the release-cord.
...or I did something wrong...

Yes, Fritz_the_cat there's a lot of others. I couldn't find the great picture of a lion being attacked by a pack of hunting dogs online. They're all over the lion.
You might find this site of interest:
http://www.tibimaxe.business.t-online.de/ustibimaxe/aktuelus/texte/berghund.html

That's a pretty simple design, Douglas_The_Black.
You could do it quite easily your self...
copy the design in lines (with carbon-paper if you like )
onto a soapstone (I advise brazillian, for this doesn't break in potsherds so much when cutting deep). Deside wich parts should be high and start scratching off the rest.
Or do you want more detail, should you want this dog or another one? wich form needs the stone to be, the black form or should the complete design be a relief on a stone? How big should the stone be?...

Sander

is it a bird? is it a plane? no, it's a...DUCK!!&&ffffFFFkadef!!...auw, that's not a duck, thats a rock!!

IP Logged

Fritz_the_Cat

Eat Danish cheese

Detroit Michigan USA
Reply #18 - Jan 9th, 2006 at 2:41pm

The one you pictured is fine . I do believe theres another bas relief of an Ancient Mastiff . I thing the guy holding the leash had one of those high Assyrian "tophat"  I could be wrong .These are old memories . The size you showed with the Assyrian sling is cool . How big was the original "Dog" bas relief ? I just looked at the website the picture with the single shorthaired war/hunt dog from 640BC is the closes to my dogs looks . The guy looks a bit short but this is my favorite bas relief.

You might have difficulty moving this across borders  Sad That piece looks like the real thing.. Cheesy

Your "Slinger" piece is great . Perhaps one of each ?

How much does the soapstone cost ? Maybe I could do one myself . Tongue

Lo there do I see my Father , Lo there do I see my Mother , and my Sisters and my Brothers, Lo there do I see a line of my people back to the beginning, Lo they do call to me they bid me to take my place among them in the halls of Vahalla where the brave may live forever

IP Logged

Douglas_The_Black
Interfector Viris Spurii

Hakkaa päälle!

Salineville Ohio
Reply #19 - Jan 9th, 2006 at 3:25pm

yes im willing to try one my self, but i cant seem to find soap stone... Undecided

i live in a maze of typo's&&&& popularity is for dolls a hero cannot be popular-Ralph Waldo Emerson&&&&DTB-master of the corny vest, and crappy carpet!
randelflagg22002  
IP Logged

lobohunter
Interfector Viris Spurii

where be a rock and a
string there be a sling

Cottage Grove or
Reply #20 - Jan 9th, 2006 at 3:26pm

great  work
I love the slingers. Look At that second stone ready

Albert Scott C bigbadwolf41 77940+hwy+99+south,+Spc+22  
IP Logged

BrianS
Descens

Does Tux love to Sling?!?

NY, USA
Reply #21 - Jan 9th, 2006 at 6:27pm

I don't think you looked very hard.  Wink

http://www.sculpt.com/catalog_98/stones/SoapStones.htm
http://www.blackpearlsoapstone.com/

A lot of links to various stone carving suppliers
http://aboutstone.org/stonehoo/Suppliers/

Another thing you might be interested in is the Chinese soapstone name stamps.  They usually have kits.

IP Logged

SEB

Oh dear...there goes the
neighbourhood

Netherlands
Reply #22 - Jan 11th, 2006 at 1:38pm

hai

Fritz_the_cat and Douglas_The_Black, here in Holland you can find soapstone in different sorts in all good artist-supply and /or hobbystores, you should be able to buy some somewhere in your neighbourhood.
And it is not all that expesive.
Usually somewhat between 2 to 5 euro's per kilogram.

I looked up the overseas sending. and it wont be a problem. And very expensive it isn't eather.
that's good news I guess.

By the way the assyrian-dog-picture posted before is an original.

Well I decided I will make some more reliefs on request but I think it is best if you  and I go through details by e-mail.
Contact me here: sanderevers@wanadoo.nl

Looking forward to hear from you.

Sander

is it a bird? is it a plane? no, it's a...DUCK!!&&ffffFFFkadef!!...auw, that's not a duck, thats a rock!!

IP Logged

Ęthelbera
Interfector Viris Spurii

Resident Cavegirl

grieving- august 13th/09 :(
Reply #23 - Jan 11th, 2006 at 1:47pm

Some inuit man came into the Art Gallery I work at yesterday with a whole bin of soapstone! I had to drill them today because some kids were going to make soapstone necklaces!

Seb, that is some beautiful art! I would like to try carving soapstone. I made some stone blades out of it a while ago; purely for aesthetics.

...&&Each all must his end abide. august 13th, rip Sad&&Varje man är sin egen konung.
WWW Ęthelbera  
IP Logged

Fritz_the_Cat

Eat Danish cheese

Detroit Michigan USA
Reply #24 - Jan 12th, 2006 at 11:07pm

Bjarn . What color or hue were the soapstone beads ? Smiley

IP Logged

SEB

Oh dear...there goes the
neighbourhood

Netherlands
Reply #25 - Jan 16th, 2006 at 2:08pm

Fritz_the_Cat
Soapstone comes in a lot of different colours.
From pink/red to gray/black and from earth tones/brownish to green or even white. Also the structure and hardness(is that english?) varies.

Chris was so nice to put the slinger pictures on the site so i have changed their adress from photobucket to somewhere here. The pictures are a bit smaller now.

Are you still interested in me making a stone for you?
If so, let me know.

Sander

IP Logged

Ęthelbera
Interfector Viris Spurii

Resident Cavegirl

grieving- august 13th/09 :(
Reply #26 - Jan 16th, 2006 at 2:34pm

It was a pinky greyish.

...&&Each all must his end abide. august 13th, rip Sad&&Varje man är sin egen konung.
WWW Ęthelbera  
IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Rat Man, Morphy, Kick, Curious Aardvark, Chris, joe_meadmaker, vetryan15)