Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Nodachis and kodachis (Read 1614 times)
drum_slinger

Armed with a heart of
steel.

Nodachis and kodachis
Dec 31st, 2005 at 1:29pm

I have seen a show about feudal Japan (yes ben-banned, it's Ruroni Kenshin) and someone used whats called a kodachi, or midsized sword, which was longer than a wakishazi and shorter than a Katana, which was used mainly as a defensive means, it was also called the Sheild Sword. In a book I read once a character used a Nodachi. Based on thte Kodachi, I would say that a Nodachi was longer than a katana and shorter than a dai-katana. Does anyone have more extensive knowledge about this? Just something I thought would be a cool topic

Funditor et celsus.&&&&Cape Hoc!!
Zyahtiger@aol.com  
IP Logged

ben_banned
Interfector Viris Spurii

Re: Nodachis and kodachis
Reply #1 - Dec 31st, 2005 at 4:07pm

I am about 56.9 percent certain they are used in pairs but thats the extent of my knowledge about them

zero tolerance=zero intelligence

IP Logged

Stenny
Funditor

Don't laugh at me, I can
sling in every direction!

Reply #2 - Jan 3rd, 2006 at 3:54pm

"No-dachi: Huge japanese sword, sometimes as long as 1,8 meter, exclusively used for fighting, seldom decorated. Usually carried in a sheath hanged on soldier's back."

- Encyclopedia of weapons and armour

Slinger, martial artist, knife thrower, blowgunner and general weirdo since 1998.&&Proud owner of official Zombie hunting permit and scars to prove it's worth.&&Underestimating a fighter or a weapon is the surest way to make plastic surgeons happy.

IP Logged

S_ALLEN
Descens

N.Y.
Reply #3 - Jan 3rd, 2006 at 11:03pm

IP Logged

drum_slinger

Armed with a heart of
steel.

Reply #4 - Jan 4th, 2006 at 10:29am

Yea, I found out what I need to know now, thnx for all the help. Kodachis are swords thare shorter than a katana and longer than a wakizashi, and is used mainly for defense and speed. The Nodachi is a blade that is carried or worn across the back and used to kill horses and penetrate armor. It was longer than a katana, but shorter than a Dai-katana.

Funditor et celsus.&&&&Cape Hoc!!
Zyahtiger@aol.com  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: David Morningstar, Bill Skinner, Chris, Mauro Fiorentini, Curious Aardvark, Masiakasaurus, Rat Man)