Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Sling Pics (Read 9581 times)
nwmanitou

Utah, USA
Sling Pics
Dec 28th, 2005 at 1:11pm

Got a digital camera for the wife this Christmas... I've been using it more than she does. Anyways, I figured I'd take a few pictures of my sling.

The whole thing is constructed of black materials which made it a little difficult to capture the details in the photos.

A while back people were asking how I grip my sling. Well... here's how:

Also, here is a .jpg of the template I use for cutting my sling pouches. As long as your printer resolution is set to 75dpi it will print the image to the correct dimensions.

And finaly, using the excellent illustrations Johnny made from my slinging video, here is an animated Gif of the way I sling:

BTW, if these images could be moved to slinging.org it would be great. I'm using a free hosting so I have no idea how long the images will stay up.
Image Rescue Project: Images now hosted at Slinging.org.
« Last Edit: May 24th, 2008 at 8:48pm by Dale »  

IP Logged

Ęthelbera
Interfector Viris Spurii

Resident Cavegirl

grieving- august 13th/09 :(
Re: Sling Pics
Reply #1 - Dec 28th, 2005 at 1:42pm

Thats a beautiful sling!

...&&Each all must his end abide. august 13th, rip Sad&&Varje man är sin egen konung.
WWW Ęthelbera  
IP Logged

AjlouniBoy
Descens

Sling smarter, not harder!

Fort Worth, Texas, USA
Reply #2 - Dec 28th, 2005 at 1:59pm

Glad to see your sling and grip.

The template is great, nice and slim, minimal wind resistance.

Your introduction to Figure 8 style is great--finally clicks, though mine still needs a lot of work...

I would love to see what you can do with a steel gland to penetrate steel sheets.  I have my eye on some 16 gauge sheets, 1.03 mm thick.  You would be just the guy to take sling penetrating trials to new levels!

Best regards, keep that sling whipping and camera clicking.

AjlouniBoy

Like tying a stone in a sling is the giving of honor to a fool.&&Proverbs 26:8

IP Logged

MammotHunter
Interfector Viris Spurii

Give me a rock, a sling,
and give me some room

virginia, for now
Reply #3 - Dec 28th, 2005 at 2:03pm

It truly is a beautiful sling! the loops, the reinforced grip, the pouch...it's a work of art, man!

Foolish is he who frets at night,&&And lies awake to worry'&&A weary man when morning comes,&&He finds all as bad as before&&-Excerpted from "The Havemal"
palaeoEvolution  
IP Logged

sv
Funditor

ireland
Reply #4 - Dec 28th, 2005 at 7:47pm

nice work - thanks for posting that gif - iv'e been using part of the same style. the exception is, i start at the 4th position and hold the stone on the left, which then drops down and over. in other words, the first bit of the throw where it goes down past the right side is omitted. it seems to be getiinig a 150-175  yard throw.
is there any additional distance by using the first part of the throw? i need a lot of work as i can't co-ordinate this opening sequence of moves.
also, the sling is very well-made. is that artificial sinew binding the knots at the pouch? and does the extra weight at the end of the release cord make any difference? my cords tend to be thicker at the pouch and have no release knot (as i mostly use a balaeric braided sling) 
cheers and have a good new year (i have been slinging for almost a year now!)

sv

IP Logged

beaverbutt8
Ex Member

Reply #5 - Dec 28th, 2005 at 10:11pm

Whoa! Nice sling!! Very nice!  Cheesy

IP Logged

Chaotic Rage

Vous etes saoul!

Reply #6 - Dec 29th, 2005 at 6:00pm

Great sling and pics!
So that's how you do the fig-8. I was trying it like an overhead with 1 complete loop, but I missed that you have to bring it back behind you on the second windup.

&&
Roychipoqua  
IP Logged

Gard

Yup, there are slingers
in Norway too!

Norway
Reply #7 - Dec 29th, 2005 at 6:17pm

Cool pics!
Your sling looks really cool, looks like you're good with leather too!

Gard

You never know what you might get to need, before you need it.

IP Logged

Johnny
Funditor

Goodlettsville,TN
Reply #8 - Dec 29th, 2005 at 6:48pm

NW that is awesome..! Love it..!
Did you do the animation on your digital camera?
WOW..!
Johnny

I also love sushi..!
TNslinger  
IP Logged

nwmanitou

Utah, USA
Reply #9 - Dec 29th, 2005 at 7:33pm

SV-   I use artificial sinew on most of my slings, however I didn't on this one because I wanted the stitching to be black. Instead I used a heavy waxed nylon thread. It's nearly the same thickness as the artificial sinew.

Johnny- Actually, a friend took the illustrations you made from my video and turned them into an animated Gif using Adobe Image View or something. I then cleaned it up a little. See? You could be an animator Grin

IP Logged

Tint
Interfector Viris Spurii
Past Moderator

Hong Kong
Reply #10 - Dec 30th, 2005 at 7:24am

Nice!

IP Logged

Rodders
Tiro

when a date falls from
heaven open your mouth

uk
Reply #11 - Dec 30th, 2005 at 1:42pm

Nice sling, how thick is the cordage ? and with that style of release how do you stop a downward pitch when you loose. Wink

IP Logged

mgreenfield
Funditor

Milwaukee Wisconsin
Reply #12 - Dec 30th, 2005 at 5:43pm

That .gif is of the original and now famous nwmanitou  figure 8 overhand.  Illustration even looks like nwmanitou, ...chunky.   The animation is dynamite.  I say for sure save it someplace permanent for posterity with credit to nwmanitou.

This delivery combined with the (also original) knollslinger 2-knot close grip is now my "standard".   

I really like a wide grip for pitching football-shaped ammo point first, but to get that shape you have to "roll your own" ammo, which is too much work.

Happy New Year to all.  Just a few days til something other than snowballs to pitch here in Wisc.

IP Logged

Matthias
Past Moderator

Gatineau/Ottawa QC, Canada
Reply #13 - Dec 30th, 2005 at 8:55pm

Hey everyone are back! Great animation NW (and re-kudos to the original artist of course).

Rodders - this throw is like any other, release late and you'll miss your aim. I spiked my first few throws when trying to pick this up, and still find it a bit awkward to get the high-elevation launch needed for distance - the release still feels a split second early to me. One big (BIG) benefit with this throw is that the release is relatively "safe". Late just puts it in the dirt, and if it is early enough to go straight up chances are the power is pretty low. Not having to worry about missing to one side or another has made this the throw I teach beginners - no need to find a bunker to hide behind during practice!

Matthias

IP Logged

Dale
Interfector Viris Spurii

California, USA
Reply #14 - Dec 31st, 2005 at 12:29am

Nwanitou,

Your style of holding the sling is slightly different from what I've been using.  I've been using a conventional grip with the loop on my middle finger, or using the grip Forsyth described where the loop goes on my pinky.  I just tried your grip, with the Forsyth/Apache style, casting at a stump about 10 yards away.  Hit it five times in a row.  I'm a lot better than a year ago, but I haven't hit that stump that many times in a row, ever.  Don't know if it's the grip or I was just relaxed, but it sure felt nice!

No, I don't live in a glass house.&&&&"If builders built buildings the way programmers write programs, then the first woodpecker that came along would destroy civilization."&&&&Context matters!  "Nothing but net" is a BAD thing in tennis...
IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Morphy, Curious Aardvark, Chris, joe_meadmaker, vetryan15, Rat Man, Kick)