Send Topic Print
Arabian archers (Read 12470 times)
BrianS
Descens

Does Tux love to Sling?!?

NY, USA
Arabian archers
Dec 26th, 2005 at 12:49pm

I vaguely remember reading an article or seeing a show (don't remember which) about Arab bowmen using a technique to get longer range.

If I remember right it said that they would lay on their backs and somehow hold the bow with their feet and use both hands to draw the string back and fire at a 45 degree angle.  By using both feet and arms they could get extended range.  I imagine it would only be affective in large masses firing on a BIG target (like another whole army).

Has anyone heard/read this?  Did any other groups of archers try this? Did they use special bows or bowstring? Anyone know of actual historical sources stating this technique or have more info?

Thanks
Brian

IP Logged

Ęthelbera
Interfector Viris Spurii

Resident Cavegirl

grieving- august 13th/09 :(
Re: Arabian archers
Reply #1 - Dec 26th, 2005 at 1:25pm

In the movie Hero, they showed the chinese soldiers using that technique.

...&&Each all must his end abide. august 13th, rip Sad&&Varje man är sin egen konung.
WWW Ęthelbera  
IP Logged

beaverbutt8
Ex Member

Reply #2 - Dec 26th, 2005 at 1:33pm

Quote:
In the movie Hero, they showed the chinese soldiers using that technique.

Oh yeah, at first i thought they were using cho-ku-nu's

Very strange - the movie didnt make much sense  Undecided

IP Logged

Ęthelbera
Interfector Viris Spurii

Resident Cavegirl

grieving- august 13th/09 :(
Reply #3 - Dec 26th, 2005 at 1:45pm

It didnt when I first watched it...seeing as the time line kept jumping back to recap the story. But when I watched it the second time it made perfect sense.

...&&Each all must his end abide. august 13th, rip Sad&&Varje man är sin egen konung.
WWW Ęthelbera  
IP Logged

MammotHunter
Interfector Viris Spurii

Give me a rock, a sling,
and give me some room

virginia, for now
Reply #4 - Dec 26th, 2005 at 9:54pm

My friend's dad made one of those as a kid one time. He told us he made a bow about 6 feet long, and made an arrow for it, and had his friend lay on his back and try to fire the bow at a nearby tree. He said the shock from the bow firing made his friend's legs go upwards, and the bow fired up into the air, and came down about 10 feet away from him really fast. Apparently, the bow, being rather poorly made, snapped after the first shot, ruining any attempts at a retry.

Foolish is he who frets at night,&&And lies awake to worry'&&A weary man when morning comes,&&He finds all as bad as before&&-Excerpted from "The Havemal"
palaeoEvolution  
IP Logged

ben_banned
Interfector Viris Spurii

Reply #5 - Dec 26th, 2005 at 9:55pm

he should of just made a ballista

zero tolerance=zero intelligence

IP Logged

MammotHunter
Interfector Viris Spurii

Give me a rock, a sling,
and give me some room

virginia, for now
Reply #6 - Dec 26th, 2005 at 9:59pm

It would have probably been safer. But knowing this guy's experiences with carpentry, it might not have been. I once saw him try to hang a door without using a level.

Foolish is he who frets at night,&&And lies awake to worry'&&A weary man when morning comes,&&He finds all as bad as before&&-Excerpted from "The Havemal"
palaeoEvolution  
IP Logged

ben_banned
Interfector Viris Spurii

Reply #7 - Dec 26th, 2005 at 10:04pm

lol

IP Logged

MammotHunter
Interfector Viris Spurii

Give me a rock, a sling,
and give me some room

virginia, for now
Reply #8 - Dec 26th, 2005 at 10:07pm

Seriously, he turned to us, and he called us over, and held the door onto the hinges and said, does this look level to you guys? Stand there and you stand there, Jack. Is that straight? And we both had to stand there until the door was "level" He marked the screwholes in chalk, thanked us, and proceeded to hang the door, which, to this day, is still slightly askew. My friend got his dad a level for his next birthday.

palaeoEvolution  
IP Logged

ben_banned
Interfector Viris Spurii

Reply #9 - Dec 26th, 2005 at 10:19pm

wow to think everyhome doesnt have a level

IP Logged

MammotHunter
Interfector Viris Spurii

Give me a rock, a sling,
and give me some room

virginia, for now
Reply #10 - Dec 26th, 2005 at 10:48pm

My dad has at least three in the garage right now. Of course, at the time, I was about 12 or 13, so why would I think to use a level? And thinking about it now, the level he got his dad for his birthday may have been his mom's idea.

palaeoEvolution  
IP Logged

Tint
Interfector Viris Spurii
Past Moderator

Hong Kong
Reply #11 - Dec 27th, 2005 at 5:57am

The technique using the legs were mainly used with crossbows, not bows as far as I know. 

There was an article posted here earlier about the furthest arrow ever shot.  It was done by a crossbow with the crossbowman using the technique described by BrianS.  The arrow reached just over a mile.

The same is true in the movie "Hero". The army at the begining were using crossbows with their legs pointing up and their backs to the ground.

I loved that movie. 8)

IP Logged

beaverbutt8
Ex Member

Reply #12 - Dec 27th, 2005 at 4:43pm

Quote:
The technique using the legs were mainly used with crossbows, not bows as far as I know.  

There was an article posted here earlier about the furthest arrow ever shot.  It was done by a crossbow with the crossbowman using the technique described by BrianS.  The arrow reached just over a mile.

The same is true in the movie "Hero". The army at the begining were using crossbows with their legs pointing up and their backs to the ground.

How would it make any difference if you were using your legs with a crossbow

Quote:
I loved that movie. 8)

It must be made for chinese people - casue i didn't understand what the hell was going on Undecided

IP Logged

ben_banned
Interfector Viris Spurii

Reply #13 - Dec 27th, 2005 at 5:39pm

two legs are stronger than one arm

IP Logged

MammotHunter
Interfector Viris Spurii

Give me a rock, a sling,
and give me some room

virginia, for now
Reply #14 - Dec 27th, 2005 at 8:08pm

It also seems like you would be able to get more force behind the shot as you would have more room to draw back and the posture you would have to assume would automatically aim the shot skywards, and you could always aim between your legs.

palaeoEvolution  
IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 ... 5
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Bill Skinner, David Morningstar, Mauro Fiorentini, Chris, Curious Aardvark, Rat Man, Masiakasaurus)