Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Another leather pouch design? (Read 13692 times)
Douglas_The_Black
Interfector Viris Spurii

Hakkaa päälle!

Salineville Ohio
Re: Another leather pouch design?
Reply #15 - Dec 26th, 2005 at 9:46pm

like where do i get one!

i live in a maze of typo's&&&& popularity is for dolls a hero cannot be popular-Ralph Waldo Emerson&&&&DTB-master of the corny vest, and crappy carpet!
randelflagg22002  
IP Logged

Chosen-frozen
Tiro

I love Slinging.org!

Iwamizawa, Northern Japan
Reply #16 - Dec 26th, 2005 at 10:34pm

Just a thought. I recently had to part with a backpack that had seen many, many better days....but the base and the handle at the top were both nicely broken- in  leather.(and yes, I`m already using them to make slings although I have to say I preffer braided slings.)

Greet everyone you meet with kindness and a friendly smile....but make plans to kill them just in case.

IP Logged

MammotHunter
Interfector Viris Spurii

Give me a rock, a sling,
and give me some room

virginia, for now
Reply #17 - Dec 26th, 2005 at 10:42pm

See, that's interesting. I tend to prefer solid pouch slings, myself. what is it about the braided slings you prefer? I actually took a braided sling and put a leather pouch on it, making a nice solid pouch sling with braided cords. Since then, it's pretty much become my favourite sling.

Foolish is he who frets at night,&&And lies awake to worry'&&A weary man when morning comes,&&He finds all as bad as before&&-Excerpted from "The Havemal"
palaeoEvolution  
IP Logged

Douglas_The_Black
Interfector Viris Spurii

Hakkaa päälle!

Salineville Ohio
Reply #18 - Dec 27th, 2005 at 10:05am

I like solid leather better too, but now im leaning twords kolds braided sling more and more.

They look cooler i think.

i live in a maze of typo's&&&& popularity is for dolls a hero cannot be popular-Ralph Waldo Emerson&&&&DTB-master of the corny vest, and crappy carpet!
randelflagg22002  
IP Logged

Gard

Yup, there are slingers
in Norway too!

Norway
Reply #19 - Dec 27th, 2005 at 5:49pm

Hah! I made one of those a while ago, but I hadn't seen it before! I thought I'd invented it...! Cry
When I tried it, I liked it, but since the leather I used wasn't too good, I haven't used it recently.
It really looks cool though!

Gard

You never know what you might get to need, before you need it.

IP Logged

MammotHunter
Interfector Viris Spurii

Give me a rock, a sling,
and give me some room

virginia, for now
Reply #20 - Dec 27th, 2005 at 6:19pm

I thought I had too, then I read the post on the Apache Sling in the "Guides" section. funny how innovations like that can pop up seperately, eh?

Foolish is he who frets at night,&&And lies awake to worry'&&A weary man when morning comes,&&He finds all as bad as before&&-Excerpted from "The Havemal"
palaeoEvolution  
IP Logged

Dale
Interfector Viris Spurii

California, USA
Reply #21 - Apr 25th, 2006 at 1:41am

I'm going to resurrect this thread, and bring it back to the original topic.

Joseph, I made three slings using the "trebuchet pouch" that you showed at the start of this topic.  I first saw that design in somebody's instructions for building a trebuchet.  And I cannot find that trebuchet article anymore, either.

They all work great, although one of them has too small a pocket for anything but golf balls and small rocks.  The middle-size one can hold a tennis ball, but not reliably.  The big one is presently attached to my heavy-duty wrist-bracelet sling, and it works for anything up to the size of a baseball.

I did find that I must keep the proportions the same, no matter what the overall size.  I made one trebuchet pouch that was 7 inches long but only 1.5 inches wide (18 cm by 4 cm).  It was basically flat; there was not sufficient width for it to cup the ammo at all.

EDIT: I found it!  I found it!  I think ... anyway, here is a page showing several pouch designs for trebuchets, including the one you showed a picture of, Joseph.  It is here:
BackyardArtillary.com/slingsandpouches
« Last Edit: May 1st, 2006 at 4:35pm by Dale »  

No, I don't live in a glass house.&&&&"If builders built buildings the way programmers write programs, then the first woodpecker that came along would destroy civilization."&&&&Context matters!  "Nothing but net" is a BAD thing in tennis...
IP Logged

Steven
Interfector Viris Spurii

RaptorIsAsRaptorDoes

Austin, Tx.
Reply #22 - Apr 25th, 2006 at 8:33am

Smiley yes that is a good design ... I've used it on several tennis ball slings.Even scaled it up to use on grapefruit sized sling (4" diameter)  For simplicity ( and poor leather working tools) I don't cut the long vee shape in the ends. I just cut two slits in each end of the pouch. Doesn't look as good that way but still forms a nice pouch.
« Last Edit: Apr 25th, 2006 at 12:09pm by Steven »  

A Curmudgeon@Large Civilly Fomenting Anarchy one post at a time...I don't like it is not a valid reason and Everyone knows is not a valid rule...Hi Ho, Hi Ho Its Off To Work I Go; As Ci-vi-lly As I Can Be Hi Ho, Hi Ho, Hi Ho...
THIS ADVICE IS WORTH WHAT YOU PAID FOR IT.

IP Logged

dork
Funditor

I feel Smurfy when I'm
smurfing!!!! You too?

In Beautiful Wisconsin
Reply #23 - Apr 25th, 2006 at 10:34pm

Nice pouch design.I have made them with two tabs on each side might have to try three. A good place to find leather is at thrift stores. I bought an entire leather jacket for $4.

IP Logged

Tito

Australia
Reply #24 - Apr 25th, 2006 at 11:47pm

i copied a simiar design from mgreenfield. the pouch is three individual strips of 1 inch wide nylon web-strapping folded in the same way of joseph surwen's design.
My sling design

mgreenfield's design

Tito

I edited this post to get the photos under each other instead of  next to each other.
Willeke
« Last Edit: Apr 26th, 2006 at 2:21am by Willeke »  

That's one small sling for David. One giant headache for Goliath.&&The safest place to stand when I sling, is right in front of me!

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: joe_meadmaker, Curious Aardvark, Rat Man, Chris, vetryan15, Morphy, Kick)