Send Topic Print
Board usage (Read 503 times)
BrianS
Descens

Does Tux love to Sling?!?

NY, USA
Board usage
Dec 21st, 2005 at 12:51pm

I was wondering if there is an easier way to use/read the messages posted.  Since I am relatively new I've been trying to read just about everything.  My questions are:

If I am reading the general discussion board and there are 69 or so pages of messages is there an easier way to start on say page 27?  It only seems to show the last page and the first 3 or 4 until you click on one of those then it shows you a couple of more.

Also after I've read a post I click on the folder at the top to bring me back to the index, but it brings me back to page 1.  Is there an easier way to return to where I was that still marks the article as read?

I've been trying to figure these out on my own, but haven't made much progress.

Thanks
Brian

IP Logged

Matthias
Past Moderator

Gatineau/Ottawa QC, Canada
Re: Board usage
Reply #1 - Dec 21st, 2005 at 2:35pm

Browsing is a little tricky. You can "jump" to a given page within the forum by changing the value of the "start" field in the url (in your browser's location bar). Slinging.org displays 20 threads per page, so if you wan to go to page 27, you need to enter "start=520" the easiest way to to do this is just to click through to page 2, then edit the url (page 1 doesn't show the required fileds).

http://www.slinging.org/forum2/yabb/YaBB.cgi?board=admin;action=messageindex;sta...

is page 2 of the admin area. Just change the 20 to how far into the listing you want to go and hit enter.

As for navigation, I use my browser's forward and back buttons. You won't see your read threads update until you reload the page - I tend to do this every few threads out of habit.

I'm pretty sure that there should be a url filed to let us bump the number of threads to disaply from 20 to some higher number, which would make life a little easier, but I haven't found it yet!

Matthias

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: David Morningstar, Rat Man, Masiakasaurus, Mauro Fiorentini, Bill Skinner, Chris, Curious Aardvark)