Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Bible Battles on the History Channel (Read 1168 times)
BrianS
Descens

Does Tux love to Sling?!?

NY, USA
Bible Battles on the History Channel
Dec 21st, 2005 at 12:10pm

Just looked at the TV listings and at 8pm EST on the History Channel is Bible Battles: Exploring biblical world from a military perspective.

They might discuss David and Goliath or perhaps other battles with slings invovled. Just a heads up.

Brian

IP Logged

MammotHunter
Interfector Viris Spurii

Give me a rock, a sling,
and give me some room

virginia, for now
Re: Bible Battles on the History Channel
Reply #1 - Dec 21st, 2005 at 12:21pm

I will defintely have to watch this! There are some really good descriptions of battles in the Bible, too. Rather or not they transpired the way they're written...who knows? But it makes for interesting reading.

Foolish is he who frets at night,&&And lies awake to worry'&&A weary man when morning comes,&&He finds all as bad as before&&-Excerpted from "The Havemal"
palaeoEvolution  
IP Logged

slingbadger
Interfector Viris Spurii

Don't Badger a Badger

Akron NY
Reply #2 - Dec 21st, 2005 at 6:05pm

There was another one on the History Channel recently on Roman Weapons. It dealt with Masada. All the Masadans had were rocks and slings, and of course, a virtually impregnable fort. It took months for the Romans to be able to come up with something to get up there.

The greatest of all the accomplishments of 20th cent. science has been the discovery of human ignorance  The main difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has it's limits.-Einstein   I'm getting psychic as I get older. Or is that psychotic?

IP Logged

BrianS
Descens

Does Tux love to Sling?!?

NY, USA
Reply #3 - Dec 21st, 2005 at 6:48pm

Yeah I saw that one.  Good program.  Amazing that the ramp (or a good part of it) the Romans built is still there.  I bet it pissed that General off when he got up there and found everyone dead after all that work.

I'd like to visit Masada to see it first-hand.  Of course it would be cool to  sling a stone off just to see what kind of range ya get, although I bet they wouldn't allow it.

IP Logged

slingbadger
Interfector Viris Spurii

Don't Badger a Badger

Akron NY
Reply #4 - Dec 22nd, 2005 at 7:16am

Pretty good program, although it only brought in slings at the very end.( David)
   I like the fact that they talked about the force of the weapons in foot pounds. I would like to know how they arrived at 18 foot pounds of force for David's sling, since there isn't enough info in the Bible to figure it out.
   I think a lot of it was guessing. Any opinions?

The greatest of all the accomplishments of 20th cent. science has been the discovery of human ignorance  The main difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has it's limits.-Einstein   I'm getting psychic as I get older. Or is that psychotic?

IP Logged

Gun
Interfector Viris Spurii
Past Moderator

Slinging  Viking

The Ozarks of Ark & Mo
Reply #5 - Dec 22nd, 2005 at 7:58pm

I am pretty sure that showed slingers in the begining too. Josphs froces? Wasn't a big part. There were so many bible show on last night that i was flipping back and forth so much.

"A Knifeless man is a lifeless man" Old Nordic Proverb

IP Logged

ben_banned
Interfector Viris Spurii

Reply #6 - Dec 22nd, 2005 at 9:29pm

yes i saw that when th e rommans built that huge ramp unfortunatley the "proffesional" who was being interviewed obviously didnt know how to use a sling

zero tolerance=zero intelligence

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: David Morningstar, Masiakasaurus, Bill Skinner, Chris, Curious Aardvark, Mauro Fiorentini, Rat Man)