Home Help Search Login

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Peruvian Slings (Read 4228 times)
Math Freak

Mmm...Math

Peruvian Slings
Dec 13th, 2005 at 7:31pm

Does anyone know any histroy behind them? I need to write a report about Peru for school in my spanish class, and I'd like to include some info about Peruvian Slings in my report. Thanks.

Math Freak

IP Logged

slingbadger
Interfector Viris Spurii

Don't Badger a Badger

Akron NY
Re: Peruvian Slings
Reply #1 - Dec 14th, 2005 at 2:04pm

Sure thing. When the Coquistadores finally penetrated into Peru, they thought they had it made. They had armor, horses, swords and guns. The Peruvians had slings, and a fustibal like device. It was a short, pointed stick. On it was a ball either of stone, or hardwood. ( Any one who has worked with tropical hardwood like padouk or brazilwood will tell you, its as hard as stone.)
    Well the Conquistadores had a good laugh over it, untill they learned the truth. A skilled Peruvian could break a sword at 30 paces, and kill horses right out from underneath them.  Gimme a day or two, and I'll get you the source for this, OK?

The greatest of all the accomplishments of 20th cent. science has been the discovery of human ignorance  The main difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has it's limits.-Einstein   I'm getting psychic as I get older. Or is that psychotic?

IP Logged

Math Freak

Mmm...Math

Reply #2 - Dec 14th, 2005 at 5:18pm

Wow, very interesting, thanks. I would be very glad if you can get me the source.

IP Logged

slingbadger
Interfector Viris Spurii

Don't Badger a Badger

Akron NY
Reply #3 - Dec 17th, 2005 at 2:55pm

Found it!!
  Its from an article by Manfred Korfmann, from Scientific American, Vol 229, #4, Oct. 1973 Its The sling as a weapon.
   A lot of large libraries keep these back issues bound by the year in the stacks. Ask. If not, they may be able to help you find it.

The greatest of all the accomplishments of 20th cent. science has been the discovery of human ignorance  The main difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has it's limits.-Einstein   I'm getting psychic as I get older. Or is that psychotic?

IP Logged

Douglas_The_Black
Interfector Viris Spurii

Hakkaa päälle!

Salineville Ohio
Reply #4 - Dec 18th, 2005 at 9:45am

hehe you all have wacko heads  Roll Eyes

i live in a maze of typo's&&&& popularity is for dolls a hero cannot be popular-Ralph Waldo Emerson&&&&DTB-master of the corny vest, and crappy carpet!
randelflagg22002  
IP Logged

Math Freak

Mmm...Math

Reply #5 - Dec 19th, 2005 at 1:45am

=X I'm not sure if I want to visit the library soon...any net resources?

IP Logged

bigkahuna
past-moderator

Delaware, USA
Reply #6 - Dec 19th, 2005 at 5:17am

I think if you try looking up info on the Inca civilization you will find what you are looking for. The Inca were the dominant culture in Peru before the Spanish. Smiley

Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day. Teach a man to fish and he will sit in a boat and drink beer all day.
John Walker  
IP Logged

friebejr

Rio de Janeiro, Brasil
Reply #7 - Dec 20th, 2005 at 2:13am

Math:

Well, I know you don't want to go to the library, but... if you decide to go - and it is always a nice programme for me, as I love reading  Cheesy - you can search for books written by two peruvian writers:

Manoel Scorza - he has  some books witten about the fights between the poor "campesinos" against the owners of the land, which used to make them work for few money. One of his books has, at the last chapter, a nice description about a figh on the mountains between them: the first, using only slings; the others, firearms. It is a nice book.

Julio Ramón Ribeyro - on his "Complete works" , he wrote a story about a campesino boy who goes to Lima (The main Peruvian city), and everyone in the school, except a boy, laughs at him, as he uses to carry a sling - which represents, for the middle and upper classes from lima, in the book, a symbol of his poor origins.

If you want, try it - I am almost sure the books are translated to english.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: David Morningstar, Rat Man, Bill Skinner, Masiakasaurus, Chris, Curious Aardvark, Mauro Fiorentini)