Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 2 3 4
Send Topic Print
Re: Is it possible to make a bow... (Read 11857 times)
beaverbutt8
Ex Member

Re: Is it possible to make a bow...
Dec 12th, 2005 at 10:41pm

Quote:
without the knowledge of caving wood? I'm not particulary good with wood, and I really want to make a homemade bow. If its possible, I would like know how to make one.

I think it might be. Buy a stave that's dimensions are as close as possible to what you are planning to make. Cut notches in it, and string it. I don't know how well it will work, but why not try carving? It's not a hard thing to do. Practice on some old pine sticks. Take small chips out of the stick, and try as hard as you can to make the stick look like what you want it to be, small wooden figures are easy to do. This is a very good way to practice. If you want to make a bow out of a stave cut from a tree you need

A hardwood tree, such as Hickory, ash, elm, oak, pecan, maple, etc

axe ( to cut down tree, for your own good - use a chainsaw )
hatches ( to rough out wood )
drawknife ( to tiller stave )
knife ( probably not totally neccesary, but good for small details)

I strongly advise you practice carving first

Hope this helps Smiley

Mike

IP Logged

ben_banned
Interfector Viris Spurii

Reply #1 - Dec 12th, 2005 at 10:51pm

ask hellfire he seems to know a bit about this I know how but myself never executed it

zero tolerance=zero intelligence

IP Logged

beaverbutt8
Ex Member

Reply #2 - Dec 12th, 2005 at 11:10pm

IP Logged

Math Freak

Mmm...Math

Reply #3 - Dec 13th, 2005 at 12:00am

Thanks, I'll try your suggestions. And about carving, what kind of knife will I need?

IP Logged

Tint
Interfector Viris Spurii
Past Moderator

Hong Kong
Reply #4 - Dec 13th, 2005 at 2:38am

It is totally possible to make a bow at home.  Many here have done so.  Johnny posted some really cool pictures of some of the bows he made.

http://www.slinging.org/forum2/yabb/YaBB.cgi?board=other;action=display;num=1114...

IP Logged

Hellfire
Ex Member

Reply #5 - Dec 13th, 2005 at 7:46am

I sure do like to make bows. What kind of wood do you have access to? Tools? How about bowstring ma terials?

Use a hardwood like elm, oak, ash, hickory, maple, most any hardwood will work. For a first bow, buy a five dollar 1by2by6 (actually 1 1/2" by 5/8" by six foot) foot piece of red oak. Make sure the grain lines on all sides of the board are striaght and there are no knots. You can work down a bow with a hatchet, or a chisel, if you dont care about finished appearance. If the store has maple available, use that also.

Bow Layout

Take the six foot redoak board stave, and find the middle. Measure 2 inches on either side. This is your handle. If you have a big enough hand, leave the handle full width. If you have difficulty doing so, you may narrow it an eight of an inch, but not any more than that. These are directions for a 45 pound bow, at 28" of draw. A regular old pocketknife will work.

Make the tips of the bow 1/2" wide. Dont cut in nocks just yet.

Now comes the difficult part. Tillering is basically making wood bend by making it thinner. For a good, efficient bow, you will want to make the entire bow bend equally at full draw. Like this pic, of an elm bow I made.

Therefore, you want to remove a lot more wood near the midlimb of the bow, than you would near the handle. So procede on doing exactly that. If you want something to work on, make the handle full thickness, and the tips about 1/2" thick, and draw a straight line taper between those two points. Take a jackplane (if you have one), and leave the handle alone, plane a little on the immediate wood by the handle, more wood further out, and test the bend of the bow by setting it up, and pushing the limb, so the tip rests on the ground. If it is correct, with no "hinges" or areas that bend too much, or stiff spot, areas that dont bend enough. Make sure you leave the tips stiff, and the wood right by the handle stiff or barely bending. This is to reduce set, which is the tendency for wood to remain in a bent position after unstringing.

The tiller on that elm bow is good tiller, it hasn't taken much set, even though it is not much more than an inch wide, and 45 pounds. It is plenty enough weight to kill a deer with, and I think that at 10 grains of arrow weight per pound it may shoot something like 147 fps, based on shooting tests.

I have to get going, I'll finish this later today.

While you are waiting, here are some excellent sites to look for. When dealing with topics like archery, it is better to learn as much as you can, and just go out and make a bow, learn from your screw-ups, and dont ever lose your determination. So while you all wait to know how I make bows, here are some othere peoples sites where I learned from.

http://www.primitiveways.com/sapling_bow.html

here is a good one on tillering

http://www.primitiveways.com/sapling_bow.html

You should dig in the archives on this one, jam packed full of info. Took me about four hours to read a lot of it.

http://b16.ezboard.com/bpaleoplanet69529

Another good forum

http://www.xsorbit4.com/users/buildabow/index.cgi

George Tsoukalas is a great guy, been making bows for a long time. Here is his website. Check out all the bow making parts of it.

http://mysite.verizon.net/georgeandjoni

Millions of threads about bows here

http://www.bowsite.com/stickbow/tf/threads.cfm

Hope you like all the websites.

« Last Edit: Dec 13th, 2005 at 5:03pm by N/A »  

IP Logged

Willeke
Interfector Viris Spurii
Past Moderator

Give me some string and
I know what to do.

Netherlands
Reply #6 - Dec 13th, 2005 at 12:06pm

If you do not have special wood carving knifes, any knife will do. Even the cheap little potato peeling knifes.  

But a knife that fits well in your hand is easier to work with. The length of the blade is not important, it needs to be long enough that you can reach where you need to work, with a little bit left over. If you use a foldable knife, make sure it has a lock to prevent closing and use it.

Keep the knife sharp, less chance of cutting yourself. And start with carving away little slivers. Better a lot of little bits than one to big one. (Later you will know how big a sliver you can handle with this knife.)

Willeke

"Never underestimate what a simple person can do with clever tools, nor what a clever person can do with simple tools." - Ian Fieggen - Writer of A booklet on lanyards, PM for info - Member IGKT, Netherlands
Bad spellers of the world: untie!
IP Logged

slingbadger
Interfector Viris Spurii

Don't Badger a Badger

Akron NY
Reply #7 - Dec 13th, 2005 at 1:06pm

Another good bow wood, supposedly the best is Osage Orange. The good thing is that the shavings can also be used for dyeing material.

The greatest of all the accomplishments of 20th cent. science has been the discovery of human ignorance  The main difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has it's limits.-Einstein   I'm getting psychic as I get older. Or is that psychotic?

IP Logged

Douglas_The_Black
Interfector Viris Spurii

Hakkaa päälle!

Salineville Ohio
Reply #8 - Dec 13th, 2005 at 3:35pm

Its not that hard to tell you the truth, Its easy in fact if you have a draw knife Smiley

have a look at the How to make...thread.

i live in a maze of typo's&&&& popularity is for dolls a hero cannot be popular-Ralph Waldo Emerson&&&&DTB-master of the corny vest, and crappy carpet!
randelflagg22002  
IP Logged

Arkanii
Descens

Get back, I can sling!

Reply #9 - Dec 13th, 2005 at 3:42pm

Welco to the site,
Try this:
http://groups.msn.com/ferretsarcherywebpage/welcome.msnw
Hope it helps Wink

BlackSnow28  
IP Logged

Hellfire
Ex Member

Reply #10 - Dec 13th, 2005 at 4:58pm

Another good bow wood, supposedly the best is Osage Orange. The good thing is that the shavings can also be used for dyeing material.

Osage is just the most elastic bow wood in North America. Sure it is good bow wood, you can make the limbs quite narrow without much set, but a properly designed and made bow out of hickory, hackberry, ash, elm, any of those, will be just as fast and smooth shooting a bow. And often it will be faster, because a whitewood bow often has tips as narrow as an osage bow, but osage weighs more. Which means that the tips of a whitewood bow have less mass, and therefore greater net efficiency.

IP Logged

Chaotic Rage

Vous etes saoul!

Reply #11 - Dec 13th, 2005 at 6:18pm

An easy bow to make is what I call the half-tillered bow. Just take a straight stick 1"-1.5" in dia and 6'-6.6' long. Then, for each end third of the stick, carve away a quarter of the wood on the back (part facing the shooter?) of the bow, so it sort of looks like a circular round "U." I hope this makes since. Basically, it is easier to minimally tiller like this because there is less chance to mess up and take off too much wood, and it won't break as easily. The one I made is pretty sad- 25# pull, but if you make a shorter, wider bow with a better wood than maple, it should be more powerful.

&&
Roychipoqua  
IP Logged

Math Freak

Mmm...Math

Reply #12 - Dec 13th, 2005 at 7:02pm

Thanks for all the help, I haven't had time to check the websites yet, but just a few questions. The wood that is closest the the dimensions that Hellfire posted was 1"x4"x8'. Do you think a hardwood round that is 3/4" in diameter and 6' in length would work? Also, what type of material would I need for the drawback string thing? (Sorry, not really sure what its called)

IP Logged

Hellfire
Ex Member

Reply #13 - Dec 13th, 2005 at 7:52pm

Thanks for all the help, I haven't had time to check the websites yet, but just a few questions. The wood that is closest the the dimensions that Hellfire posted was 1"x4"x8'. Do you think a hardwood round that is 3/4" in diameter and 6' in length would work? Also, what type of material would I need for the drawback string thing? (Sorry, not really sure what its called)

Well, then buy a nice piece of that lumber, and ask a neighbor if he will rip it down its length with a bandsaw. The bowstring should be made of dacron, linen, silk, sinew, hemp(real hemp, not abaca), polyester artificial sinew, rawhide, nettle. 

What kind of bow do you want? Just for fun? Hunting?

IP Logged

Math Freak

Mmm...Math

Reply #14 - Dec 13th, 2005 at 7:54pm

Hm...I gotta see if my neighbors have a bandsaw or not. :/ Anyways, think the hardwood rounds would work? And where would I be able to buy the materials for the bowstring? And the bow would be just for fun, since I'm only 12. >_<

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Curious Aardvark, Rat Man, Chris, Bill Skinner, David Morningstar, Mauro Fiorentini, Masiakasaurus)