Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
steel question (Read 3959 times)
beaverbutt8
Ex Member

steel question
Dec 7th, 2005 at 8:03pm

Hey guys,

My first question is - what metals is steel made out of?

Second question - What does it take to have "springy" steel. High amounts of carbon, being tempered, or both?

Thanks  Cheesy

Mike

IP Logged

Gun
Interfector Viris Spurii
Past Moderator

Slinging  Viking

The Ozarks of Ark & Mo
Re: steel question
Reply #1 - Dec 7th, 2005 at 8:23pm

Iron and carbon. here is the dictonary defination

steel (n.) A generally hard, strong, durable, malleable alloy of iron and carbon, usually containing between 0.2 and 1.5 percent carbon, often with other constituents such as manganese, chromium, nickel, molybdenum, copper, tungsten, cobalt, or silicon, depending on the desired alloy properties, and widely used as a structural material.

Spring steel is just steel with extra amount of a element (sorry i don't remember from metalergy class) added to it and then properly heat treated.

Why? What are you making?

"A Knifeless man is a lifeless man" Old Nordic Proverb

IP Logged

beaverbutt8
Ex Member

Reply #2 - Dec 7th, 2005 at 8:42pm

Quote:
Iron and carbon. here is the dictonary defination

steel (n.) A generally hard, strong, durable, malleable alloy of iron and carbon, usually containing between 0.2 and 1.5 percent carbon, often with other constituents such as manganese, chromium, nickel, molybdenum, copper, tungsten, cobalt, or silicon, depending on the desired alloy properties, and widely used as a structural material.

Spring steel is just steel with extra amount of a element (sorry i don't remember from metalergy class) added to it and then properly heat treated.

Why? What are you making?

Im considering making a crossbow  Cheesy

IP Logged

Yobolobobo
Descens

I Heart Slinging.org!

Reply #3 - Dec 7th, 2005 at 9:17pm

Why not just use wood?

IP Logged

beaverbutt8
Ex Member

Reply #4 - Dec 7th, 2005 at 9:42pm

Quote:
Why not just use wood?

How would i use wood for a crossbow?? ??? Most of them were metal

IP Logged

Demagogs
Tiro

I love Slinging.org!

Riga, Latvia
Reply #5 - Dec 8th, 2005 at 4:16am

Hell no, metal ones appeared somewhere around 14th century and only in europe. Wooden ones (and composite), on the other hand have been around for at least thousand years before that.
Of course, if you want to get 200+ pounds draw weight, then steel or composite bow would be more appropriate.

Let us wait what will English say.

P.s. Check out this thread  : http://www.slinging.org/forum2/yabb/YaBB.cgi?board=other;action=display;num=1125...

IP Logged

Fritz_the_Cat

Eat Danish cheese

Detroit Michigan USA
Reply #6 - Dec 8th, 2005 at 8:01am

If you use steel don't forget the "sheath"  in case it breaks . Otherwise it'll smack you upside yoyur head . Shocked

There are crossbow ebsites that have pictures of steel bows and some even sell them. Smiley

Lo there do I see my Father , Lo there do I see my Mother , and my Sisters and my Brothers, Lo there do I see a line of my people back to the beginning, Lo they do call to me they bid me to take my place among them in the halls of Vahalla where the brave may live forever

IP Logged

Gun
Interfector Viris Spurii
Past Moderator

Slinging  Viking

The Ozarks of Ark & Mo
Reply #7 - Dec 8th, 2005 at 9:47am

Most of todays crossbows are made of either wood or fiberglass. Even though steel might be able to work it would add a lot of weight to the bow. I would stick to wood or fiberglass, it will be cheaper.

"A Knifeless man is a lifeless man" Old Nordic Proverb

IP Logged

Douglas_The_Black
Interfector Viris Spurii

Hakkaa päälle!

Salineville Ohio
Reply #8 - Dec 8th, 2005 at 6:07pm

wood is alot easer to work with too.

i live in a maze of typo's&&&& popularity is for dolls a hero cannot be popular-Ralph Waldo Emerson&&&&DTB-master of the corny vest, and crappy carpet!
randelflagg22002  
IP Logged

Hellfire
Ex Member

Reply #9 - Dec 8th, 2005 at 9:32pm

"some of the best bows" are space bows. No they are no the "best" because they use wheels to increase leverage. Wood is a hell of a lot easier to work with, and I recommend using a wood like elm, because even if it will set, it wont ever explode on you, if properly maintained and selected. Steel prods will store approximately as much energy per gram of mass as wood, but it does recover a little slower, needing a heavier bolt per drawweight. You wil want to sew a rawhide sheath on it, so if you shoot it outside and it is too cold, and it blows, it wont kill you with fragments. You may want to look into fiberglass or maybe aluminum prods. If you have wood, then use wood. I dont think you need a draw weight above maybe 150 pounds, so wood will be fine. Here is some fairly general instructions.

Use elm, ash, sugar maple, hickory, red oak for a prod. White oak and many other hardwoods will work also, but these are most available in board form.

Cut it about 30 " long, 1 3/4" wide, and I dont know how thick. Tiller it with a jackplane, make sure the center doesnt bend much, and that the center will fit against the stock. It would probably be about 1/4" thick or so, for 150 pounds at 12" draw.

Make the string out of polyester, dacron, animal sinew even. The string, believe me, will be the hardest part. I dont think youll need a lot more instruction, just go out and have some fun.

IP Logged

beaverbutt8
Ex Member

Reply #10 - Dec 8th, 2005 at 9:46pm

Somehow i get the idea that you've done this before. LOL  Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Thanks

IP Logged

Douglas_The_Black
Interfector Viris Spurii

Hakkaa päälle!

Salineville Ohio
Reply #11 - Dec 9th, 2005 at 7:38am

you know what the hardest part is for someone starting on a cross bow? the letting the wood dry part i think Smiley It was always my problem anyway, i never could find wood to use, and then once i did i had a hard time letting it sit there to dry. i would let it sit there for a month or so, then wish i could work on it right then and there.  Grin I have a system now.

the string is not too hard i think, just boring. To make the string i get some sinew, a board and two nails, i found how long my bow was, subtracted two inches from that, and nailed the two nails in.

then i wraped the sinew around the nails, to make a big loop, of four strands of sinew. Theni went and wraped the sinew around the loops as tight as i could get it, this makes a string that holds up quite well, i can get some pics later on if you would like.

Also i have a cross bow question:
Im lazy and i dont want to carve the groove for the bolt to run down, so i was wondering if i could cut a small groove into the bow so the bolt could rest in that

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v653/DouglasTheBlack/crossbow.jpg

i live in a maze of typo's&&&& popularity is for dolls a hero cannot be popular-Ralph Waldo Emerson&&&&DTB-master of the corny vest, and crappy carpet!
randelflagg22002  
IP Logged

Chaotic Rage

Vous etes saoul!

Reply #12 - Dec 9th, 2005 at 10:34am

That seems life it'd work. I've tried cross bows, and for me the hardest part is attaching the bow to the stock.
How would titanium work for a blade? If it were tempered well, it might not stay bent, and it could be very hard and light. Heck to work with though  Sad

&&
Roychipoqua  
IP Logged

Douglas_The_Black
Interfector Viris Spurii

Hakkaa päälle!

Salineville Ohio
Reply #13 - Dec 9th, 2005 at 12:40pm

i read something somewhere they say  titanium is not good for a blade.

randelflagg22002  
IP Logged

Douglas_The_Black
Interfector Viris Spurii

Hakkaa päälle!

Salineville Ohio
Reply #14 - Dec 9th, 2005 at 3:34pm

What do you guys think of these for

bolt heads?

I like these bodkin arrows too!

randelflagg22002  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Mauro Fiorentini, Chris, Masiakasaurus, Bill Skinner, David Morningstar, Curious Aardvark, Rat Man)