Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Unheard of instruments. (Read 5205 times)
Ęthelbera
Interfector Viris Spurii

Resident Cavegirl

grieving- august 13th/09 :(
Re: Unheard of instruments.
Reply #15 - Dec 7th, 2005 at 5:06pm

Someone on the Finntroll forum asked if the band used a "juice harp"
I found that amusing.

...&&Each all must his end abide. august 13th, rip Sad&&Varje man är sin egen konung.
WWW Ęthelbera  
IP Logged

Matt_C
Funditor

Cruachan!!!

Cheshire, England
Reply #16 - Dec 7th, 2005 at 8:33pm

But finntroll ARE funny Sad

Ooh, and let us not forget the Warr guitar, another tapping instrument only this time with an actual body.

Hmm, I am going to try and find a huge and beautiful example of musical engineering. Somewhere on this planet there has to be a building designed to play when the wind blows through it. Cheesy

The last time I saw a rainbow I threw my beard over it

IP Logged

bigkahuna
past-moderator

Delaware, USA
Reply #17 - Dec 7th, 2005 at 10:01pm

There is a musical instrument museum in South Carolina that has some large instruments set up to play by themselves when the wind blows. I will try to find out the name of the place.

Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day. Teach a man to fish and he will sit in a boat and drink beer all day.
John Walker  
IP Logged

Yobolobobo
Descens

I Heart Slinging.org!

Reply #18 - Dec 8th, 2005 at 8:11pm

Cajun music always has a neat sound.  I've seen those washboards at jazz fest a lot.

IP Logged

slingbadger
Interfector Viris Spurii

Don't Badger a Badger

Akron NY
Reply #19 - Dec 12th, 2005 at 1:04pm

The other one I like is the Bullroarer. It's that thing out of the Crocodile dundee movies. Its a slat of wood, tapered at the edges. Put it on a long string and swing it around the head. It makes a humming thats loud and rhythmic. It can be manipulated in flight to get different tones out of it.. Its also LOUD. I use mine occasionally to wake my Scout Troop in the morning. Works great, but boy, do they complain!!

The greatest of all the accomplishments of 20th cent. science has been the discovery of human ignorance  The main difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has it's limits.-Einstein   I'm getting psychic as I get older. Or is that psychotic?

IP Logged

MammotHunter
Interfector Viris Spurii

Give me a rock, a sling,
and give me some room

virginia, for now
Reply #20 - Dec 12th, 2005 at 1:36pm

I scare the living hell out of neighbourhood animals with mine. I know for a fact that my cat scatters when he even hears it from a distance, and I've seen other animals pick up the pace when they hear the bullroarer start buzzing. Sometimes, at night, when it's quiet in my part of the neighbourhood, i like to go out and spin the bullroarer for a little while. It always seems to have a different sound on a quiet night than during the day, expecially during the winter. I made mine sort of laurel leaf shaped, out of a piece of poplar I had laying around. Nice sort of sound.
Badgerdude, could you give me some specs for your design? Mine isn't very loud, but it's got a pretty low frequency sound. I'm looking to make a louder one, okay, just looking to make another one, but design specs are hard to come by. Material, dimensions, modifications would all be helpful.  Mine is about 13" long, 1/4" thick, 3" across and tapered on all sides to produce a sort of aerofoil cross section

Foolish is he who frets at night,&&And lies awake to worry'&&A weary man when morning comes,&&He finds all as bad as before&&-Excerpted from "The Havemal"
palaeoEvolution  
IP Logged

Ęthelbera
Interfector Viris Spurii

Resident Cavegirl

Reply #21 - Dec 12th, 2005 at 7:19pm

...&&Each all must his end abide. august 13th, rip Sad&&Varje man är sin egen konung.
WWW Ęthelbera  
IP Logged

Matt_C
Funditor

Cruachan!!!

Cheshire, England
Reply #22 - Dec 12th, 2005 at 9:08pm

I don't think an 8 string (octave) bass counts as that weird, as they have been used a few times in popular music, but they are awesome.

The last time I saw a rainbow I threw my beard over it

IP Logged

slingbadger
Interfector Viris Spurii

Don't Badger a Badger

Akron NY
Reply #23 - Dec 13th, 2005 at 1:26pm

Mine is in the shape of a long diamond, 9 inches long and about 4 wide. All the edges are tapered on both sides, like a knife blade. I made mine from a piece of scrap mahoghany, but I don't think the wood type matters.
   My next one, when it thaws around here is going to be the more traditional long ellipsoid shape. These are the ones seen most in Austrailia.
  I got the basic design for mine from a book series called Foxfire. Its about primative living in Appalachia. They had a whole section on old timey musical insturments.  their bullroarer was mounted on the end of a stick, too.
   My diamond shape one really spins, not just around on the string, but the diamond itself spins. I think this is where the sound comes from.

The greatest of all the accomplishments of 20th cent. science has been the discovery of human ignorance  The main difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has it's limits.-Einstein   I'm getting psychic as I get older. Or is that psychotic?

IP Logged

Endoperez
Tiro

I love Slinging.org!

Reply #24 - Dec 17th, 2005 at 7:20am

My father has a five-stringed violin. Normal violins have four strings. A quick search turned out that earlier in its history, the number of strings in violin's predecessors changed, and five-stringed versions stayed until 16th century. So the instrument is rare, today, but similar ones have been used before.

I found the xyphoon (babmooxofone, bamboo-saxophone) really interesting. Won't start playing anytime soon, though!  Roll Eyes

IP Logged

MammotHunter
Interfector Viris Spurii

Give me a rock, a sling,
and give me some room

virginia, for now
Reply #25 - Dec 17th, 2005 at 6:47pm

My friend, who is a music major, told me about a musical instrument called a sackbut. Said it was sort of like a baroque predecessor of the trombone or something. I just liked the name.

Foolish is he who frets at night,&&And lies awake to worry'&&A weary man when morning comes,&&He finds all as bad as before&&-Excerpted from "The Havemal"
palaeoEvolution  
IP Logged

Ęthelbera
Interfector Viris Spurii

Resident Cavegirl

Reply #26 - Dec 19th, 2005 at 1:11pm

Ha ha, sackbut.

WWW Ęthelbera  
IP Logged

Ęthelbera
Interfector Viris Spurii

Resident Cavegirl

Reply #27 - Dec 19th, 2005 at 9:27pm

I would play it!
What if it was called a Baritone Vittu?
Go look vittu up if youre not finnish.

WWW Ęthelbera  
IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Chris, Curious Aardvark, Bill Skinner, Mauro Fiorentini, Rat Man, Masiakasaurus, David Morningstar)