Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Unheard of instruments. (Read 5201 times)
Matt_C
Funditor

Cruachan!!!

Cheshire, England
Unheard of instruments.
Dec 6th, 2005 at 9:42pm

A thread for unusual and not well known instruments that deserve some more interest!
The following musical instruments not only sound great, they also look amazing and show a degree of craftsmanship that you simply don't get with the average production instrument.

Also, unfortunately, most of these instruments are merely classed as "toys". Sad

First up I present the Chapman Stick: www.stick.com
It is basically a fretboard tapping instrument that can play melody and bass at the same time, avaliable in a wide variety of types and tunings. Quite pricey, but from what I've heard in songs and from owners, a perfectly made and balanced instrument. I also love the minimalist design. This instrument appeals especially to bassists, as it allows them to create a great dynamic bassline then "attack" with chords quite easily, doesn't really take that much hand independence. I am waiting for a bass model to become avaliable through ebay.co.uk.

The Zendrum: www.zendrum.com
An amazing midi controller that comes in 2 basic models; a guitar shaped body that is suitable for use on its own and a laptop version, that can be used by people confined to wheelchairs, or rigged up to a larger kit. It consists of velocity sensitive pads that can trigger all kinds of sounds and effects. This instrument is mainly aimed at percussionists as it allows a drummer to do things that would normally take 2 or 3 extra musicians. The playing is as simple as tapping the pads in a good rhythm, drummers and percussionists could probably get used to it within a few hours.

The Maui Xaphoon: www.xaphoon.com
A great little instrument (I own one of these, hoping to get a stick soon, too Tongue). It is about the same size as an alto recorder and sounds similar to a saxophone, with a little practice it sounds absolutely breathtaking. It takes a little practice, though.

The Theremin: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Theremin
One of the first electronic instruments ever made, and the first that didn't involve actually touching the instrument. It can sound beautifully haunting... or in most cases absolutely annoying. Probably the hardest instrument I've listed... or at least the hardest to get good tone out of.

The last time I saw a rainbow I threw my beard over it

IP Logged

bigkahuna
past-moderator

Delaware, USA
Re: Unheard of instruments.
Reply #1 - Dec 6th, 2005 at 10:05pm

To be the life of the party, play a nose flute. Great fun! Cheesy

Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day. Teach a man to fish and he will sit in a boat and drink beer all day.
John Walker  
IP Logged

Matt_C
Funditor

Cruachan!!!

Cheshire, England
Reply #2 - Dec 6th, 2005 at 10:07pm

Quote:
To be the life of the party, play a nose flute. Great fun! Cheesy

DOH! How could I forget that classic?!

IP Logged

bigkahuna
past-moderator

Delaware, USA
Reply #3 - Dec 6th, 2005 at 10:08pm

Come to think of it, isn't an unheard of instrument kindof like an invisible mirror? Grin

Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day. Teach a man to fish and he will sit in a boat and drink beer all day.
John Walker  
IP Logged

Matt_C
Funditor

Cruachan!!!

Cheshire, England
Reply #4 - Dec 6th, 2005 at 10:24pm

More like an unseen mirror Tongue.

IP Logged

Tint
Interfector Viris Spurii
Past Moderator

Hong Kong
Reply #5 - Dec 6th, 2005 at 10:27pm

What were those bells that Mike Oldfield played?  Tabular Bells or something.

IP Logged

bigkahuna
past-moderator

Delaware, USA
Reply #6 - Dec 6th, 2005 at 10:55pm

How about the glass organ or "airmonica" i believe it's called.

John Walker  
IP Logged

Matt_C
Funditor

Cruachan!!!

Cheshire, England
Reply #7 - Dec 6th, 2005 at 10:58pm

Ah, yes! The airmonica! I've seen pictures of it. It looks stupendous, no idea about the sound though.

IP Logged

bigkahuna
past-moderator

Delaware, USA
Reply #8 - Dec 6th, 2005 at 11:02pm

It sounds like running a damp finger around the rim of a wine glass. Just more intense.

John Walker  
IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #9 - Dec 7th, 2005 at 12:09pm

theremins are very cool.
And you can get small portable ones too. pocket sized.

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

Gard

Yup, there are slingers
in Norway too!

Norway
Reply #10 - Dec 7th, 2005 at 12:58pm

There is an own flute from where I live, it's only the original one, which is quite bad, and one copy, which you can play on.
I don't know much about it, but I'll check about it, and tell more if anyone is interested.
What I do know is that the original was found on the local museum, where it had been quite long time. It had been out from there long time ago (I'm 12 year old, just so you know what long time ago is), to try to copy it, but it didn't work. I'm not sure about where is was before it came to the museum, but I'll check.

Gard

You never know what you might get to need, before you need it.

IP Logged

slingbadger
Interfector Viris Spurii

Don't Badger a Badger

Akron NY
Reply #11 - Dec 7th, 2005 at 2:55pm

Thats OK ther has been a new type of insurment found out about from ancient Ireland. Its the corm. Basically, its a long bronze version of a digiridoo!

The greatest of all the accomplishments of 20th cent. science has been the discovery of human ignorance  The main difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has it's limits.-Einstein   I'm getting psychic as I get older. Or is that psychotic?

IP Logged

Matt_C
Funditor

Cruachan!!!

Cheshire, England
Reply #12 - Dec 7th, 2005 at 3:18pm

Hmm, I'd imagine a didgeridoo made out of brass to be very tinny, maybe even in a haunting sort of way. Of course it could be sound like passing wind through a metal pipe... Tongue

IP Logged

Willeke
Interfector Viris Spurii
Past Moderator

Give me some string and
I know what to do.

Netherlands
Reply #13 - Dec 7th, 2005 at 3:29pm

Ever heard of the didgerislide?
(Not that I play it, but I have heard it played.)

Willeke

"Never underestimate what a simple person can do with clever tools, nor what a clever person can do with simple tools." - Ian Fieggen - Writer of A booklet on lanyards, PM for info - Member IGKT, Netherlands
Bad spellers of the world: untie!
IP Logged

Yobolobobo
Descens

I Heart Slinging.org!

Reply #14 - Dec 7th, 2005 at 4:45pm

What about the Jaw Harp?

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Chris, Curious Aardvark, Rat Man, Mauro Fiorentini, Masiakasaurus, Bill Skinner, David Morningstar)