Sling Toys (Read 2243 times)
AjlouniBoy
Descens

Sling smarter, not harder!

Fort Worth, Texas, USA
Sling Toys
Dec 5th, 2005 at 1:29pm

Sling Toys

Its never to early to start a new crop of little slingers.

Thank goodness I wasn't born in the ancient Baleric islands where little boys had to hit their bread with a slingstone before they could eat it. I would either be a lot better slinger or a lot thinner now.

For our new "little buddy" slingers, or experienced slingers who just want more fun ways to put slinging skills to use, keep your eyes open in toy stores, these things show up every now and then (as well as many new ammo options that need to be test hurled).

This Flingsock is a nice soft way to introduce your neighbors to slinging.
There is also a "waterbomb" sponge version, but ours is on said neighbor's roof where I can't get a good pic.

The "Klutz" toy company seems to have good ideas in the slinging department, offering both a "screamer" and parachute.

Why just Fling when you can also Scream?
I haven't flung this yet, but will update after Christmas.

Looks like the protruding whistles facing at right angles to the long "hurling" axis are the key to the whistling.
Perhaps lead glandes could be modified to scream.
The air traveling down the long axis of leag egg weights whistles a bit, but we need screaming.

This Chute folds up into the ball and tension on the throwing thong pulls a hook to keep it closed.
It needs an underhand lob straight up as close to vertical as you can get for max altitude as the shell pops open sometime after release and the parachute deploys.  A clever design with a regular chute top but a cone shaped netting instead of para cords keeps it from twisting up in a knot.  If you get a good launch on a breezy day this contraption can really sail a good way.

Keep yer eyes open for other Slingables!

AjlouniBoy
« Last Edit: Jan 23rd, 2006 at 2:32pm by AjlouniBoy »  

Like tying a stone in a sling is the giving of honor to a fool.&&Proverbs 26:8

IP Logged

Gard

Yup, there are slingers
in Norway too!

Norway
Re: Sling Toys
Reply #1 - Dec 5th, 2005 at 4:57pm

Cool! Shocked
Have you tried the parachute?
I've made one out of a plastic bag, but it didn't work to well. It opened 10 meter over the ground.
Once I saw in a toy store a water balloon sling, with a big pouch to hold the water balloons secure. Beside that I haven't seen any sling related toys, though I can't say I'm so extremely often in toy stores.
Cool stuff! Cheesy

Gard
« Last Edit: Jul 6th, 2006 at 3:30pm by Gard »  

You never know what you might get to need, before you need it.

IP Logged

slingbadger
Interfector Viris Spurii

Don't Badger a Badger

Akron NY
Reply #2 - Dec 5th, 2005 at 6:14pm

If you look at the movie Fisher King, robin Williams yields something similar to those as a weapon. It looked like a rock in a long sock, but it worked.
  Actually, they are so simple I would be suprised if they hadn't been thought of in the past as a weapon.

The greatest of all the accomplishments of 20th cent. science has been the discovery of human ignorance  The main difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has it's limits.-Einstein   I'm getting psychic as I get older. Or is that psychotic?

IP Logged

lobohunter
Interfector Viris Spurii

where be a rock and a
string there be a sling

Cottage Grove or
Reply #3 - Dec 5th, 2005 at 10:37pm

they have a rock on a cord, wich later became two rocks on cords followed many rocks on cords A.KA bola and its ansestors the rock  cord is also said to have spawned our beloved weapon

Albert Scott C bigbadwolf41 77940+hwy+99+south,+Spc+22  
IP Logged

AjlouniBoy
Descens

Fort Worth, Texas, USA
Reply #4 - Dec 5th, 2005 at 11:28pm

I have got some good throws in with the chute, but it tends to pop open early on the way up before max altitude.   I'll try to get an inflight pic.

The chute is probably better for experienced slingers--now there's a huge market!  We're doin our part @ slinging.org.

Kids can happily bonk each other all day long with the fling sock.

I can't wait to whip the screamer.   Gotta get the videocam fixed.

IP Logged

memeth
Tiro

I love Slinging.org!

Belgium
Reply #5 - Dec 6th, 2005 at 1:24pm

mayby you can use the chute as a moving target.
...hmm this works probable juste one time... Wink

IP Logged

AjlouniBoy
Descens

Fort Worth, Texas, USA
Reply #6 - Jan 23rd, 2006 at 11:43am

Update:

Foxtail Sonic has whistles at right angles to shreak both on windup and on throwing.  Nice effect with the pitch rising with velocity.  Louder and higher pitched as it comes in.

Here is parachute landing:

IP Logged

MammotHunter
Interfector Viris Spurii

Give me a rock, a sling,
and give me some room

virginia, for now
Reply #7 - Jan 24th, 2006 at 8:13am

I'm going to try to make a clay version of that screaming glande today just as soon as my sister leaves for school and I have the kitchen to myself.

Foolish is he who frets at night,&&And lies awake to worry'&&A weary man when morning comes,&&He finds all as bad as before&&-Excerpted from "The Havemal"
palaeoEvolution  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Rat Man, Curious Aardvark, vetryan15, Kick, joe_meadmaker, Morphy, Chris)