Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
What type of sling style u guys like (Read 5106 times)
chaosmage

I love Slinging.org!

Re: What type of sling style u guys like
Reply #30 - Dec 22nd, 2005 at 6:52pm

I prefer the simple overhead throw. No winding, no spinning. I find it is the most instinctive and natural movement for humans, and just about anything else physical has the same basic movement (construction, martial arts, many sports, eta).

IP Logged

MammotHunter
Interfector Viris Spurii

Give me a rock, a sling,
and give me some room

virginia, for now
Reply #31 - Dec 22nd, 2005 at 7:12pm

I think tomorrow after work I'm going to try the apache style throw, which I've been itching to try for a while now. Since I get half a day off work tomorrow from the city, I may get time to sling.

Foolish is he who frets at night,&&And lies awake to worry'&&A weary man when morning comes,&&He finds all as bad as before&&-Excerpted from "The Havemal"
palaeoEvolution  
IP Logged

MammotHunter
Interfector Viris Spurii

Give me a rock, a sling,
and give me some room

virginia, for now
Reply #32 - Dec 22nd, 2005 at 7:15pm

I actually find the underhand throw to feel more natural, since it closely follows the natural arc of the shoulder, and puts less pressure on the rotator cuff than the overhand throw. I talked to my sister, who plays softball, and asked her about the difference between the under and over hand throws. She told me something that surprised me. Pitchers in softball tend to have longer careers than pitchers in baseball, due to the lessened stress on their shoulders from the pitching motion.

Foolish is he who frets at night,&&And lies awake to worry'&&A weary man when morning comes,&&He finds all as bad as before&&-Excerpted from "The Havemal"
palaeoEvolution  
IP Logged

A_C

New York
Reply #33 - Dec 23rd, 2005 at 8:03pm

Greek style for general use, overhand for accurate, weak throws, and underhand for range. I tried figure 8 a couple of times, and I get really high speeds going, but I have a hell of a time trying to release it at the right moment.

IP Logged

chaosmage

I love Slinging.org!

Reply #34 - Dec 25th, 2005 at 4:18pm

Hmmm... I've tried some underhand throws, but can't hit anything at all. Seems like the reduced stress would be one factor, but I noticed something with the overhand throws.

It's harder to get power behind "range." For maximum range for any amount of power, it's generally established that you want a 45 degree angle at launch. With an overhand throw, the lower the angle, the more power your body can put behind it. If you release at 45 degrees, you have wasted energy. Anybody else notice this?

IP Logged

ChuckRocks

Leverage Artillery Design
Engineer

The Florida Outback, USA
Reply #35 - Jan 17th, 2006 at 7:39pm

I'm still getting used to my newly made belt-sling, (Thanks Lobo) but I also have to get used to a new method of throwing.
From what I can tell, this short sling is best used kinda like the Apache method. It's good for half-fist sized rocks.

For heavy objects, I use a modified underhand throw with a four foot (folded) sling.
I stand sideways to my target and I swing the sling in a figure 8 pattern crossing in front of me on the up stroke.
To throw, I turn stepping toward my target and swing overhand as the sling has passed my feet coming forward.
Using this method, I am able to throw objects up to a pound.

For heavier objects, I use a pole sling.

(AKA Walker / Visit my Facebook page: at http://www.facebook.com/pages/SiegeMasters/168138883205859 )
IP Logged

person3

maryland
Reply #36 - Jan 28th, 2006 at 2:35pm

helicopter for being acurate, And figure 8 for having fun

my younger brother favors one he made up, it kind of like the opisite of figure 8 ???

"you have to be a little bit skeptical or else you'll start believing in things like UFOs or elves or income tax rebates."-Monk&&
rocket idiot  
IP Logged

Conteilboos
Descens

USA, Arizona
Reply #37 - Feb 19th, 2006 at 1:47am

Sorry this is an older post and here I am bringing it up again but...
A few days ago I tried the Apache Style throw at a small pyrimid of rocks that I set up. (Approx. 20 yds away) and i hit it the first time!!! (Lucky...yes) but i was hooked.  I definitely like the Apache style for accuracy. I especially like watching the rocks explode when they hit the target...
When I use this style I prefer to use a larger stone, maybe the size of a tennis ball, only so I can feel the weight when I Sling it over my head.
-Hound-

IP Logged

Chaotic Rage

Vous etes saoul!

Reply #38 - Feb 19th, 2006 at 4:34pm

That's awesome! If you like exploding missiles and you have some gravel, try slinging that. Even against a tree they shatter. I like the plain overhand for accuracy, and the whirl-over-the-head with 2 windups is accurate and powerful.

&&
Roychipoqua  
IP Logged

Altay

Romans 8

Gibsonia, PA (USA)
Reply #39 - Feb 19th, 2006 at 5:48pm

does anyone have any movies of the Apache style? I'm new here, and I've read it a bunch of times, but I can't seem to figure out how it's different from an overhand throw.

There are 10 types of people in this world:&&those who understand binary and those who don't&&
&&E=mc^2&&Entertainment = mass * (centripetal acceleration)^2&&
&&Bad spellers of the world untie!&&
&&
IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: vetryan15, joe_meadmaker, Curious Aardvark, Rat Man, Morphy, Kick, Chris)