Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Velocity of english longbows: 50m/s (Read 6620 times)
Alsatian
Descens

Re: Velocity of english longbows: 50m/s
Reply #15 - May 29th, 2006 at 9:26am

Another bow figure:
At the TV there was a docu about the Ottoman Empire. They measured the velocity of an arrow shot by a turkish bow: 240km/s. This comes close to 67m/s which is a lot more than the 50m/s for a english longbow.

IP Logged

Dale
Interfector Viris Spurii

California, USA
Reply #16 - May 29th, 2006 at 11:53am

EDIT A FEW MINUTES LATER: Oh, I guess this is not very timely.  Mike_R posted about units of measure 'way back in December...

I just looked up the conversion factors:
1 pound (avoirdupois) is 453.6 grams.
1 pound is 7000 grains.

You can have a lot of fun (if you're a geek like me) learning about the history of these units.  A grain was originally the weight of one grain of wheat.  A pound is an old Roman unit of weight, and I don't know anything else about its origin; the English defined a pound as 7000 grains; and it happens that a British pint of water weighs almost exactly one British pound (Americans, of course, just had to fiddle with all the units of measure, so they are not exactly the same).  A kilogram was originally the mass of a liter of water.

No, I don't live in a glass house.&&&&"If builders built buildings the way programmers write programs, then the first woodpecker that came along would destroy civilization."&&&&Context matters!  "Nothing but net" is a BAD thing in tennis...
IP Logged

magnumslinger
Descens

I don't sling a thing
if I ain't got my sling!

United Arab Emirates
Reply #17 - May 30th, 2006 at 6:25pm

This is a GREAT topic, which, of course, is dear to my heart!

Attn: Tint:  My 120 lb. Crimean Tatar bow has FINALLY arrived!  I'm working on drawing it now!  Stringing it by myself was no problem, and I've gotten it drawn back to about my cheek, or at least my face on both sides a few times!  However, I think I still need to practice a while before I am satisfied with my ability to draw it properly, and shoot an actual arrow from it on the range, or woods, beach etc., and haven't tried it with a thumb ring yet!

Hopefully, the 160 lb.Hungarian one will also arrive sometime in the near future, and I will be able to compare them.  Whether I shall be able to eventually string/draw it will still be in question until it arrives.  I'll probably need some time and systematic practice/further self-training, but who knows?  The 120 lb. bow wasn't as bad as I had feared it might have been.  It is SO NEAT!

Everybody, check out THIS website for a VERY similar, and learned debate/discussion on this same topic!

http://netsword.com/ubb/Forum8/HTML/000104.html

Also:  http://huntingsociety.org/BowPower.html

And, of course, our old standby for some realistic tests of actual traditional Mongol-Turkish hornbows:

http://www.atarn.org/islamic/akarpowicz/turkish_bow_tests.htm

Hopefully, my "Benjamin Sling and Bow Society" idea will be up and running in the very near future!  It may concentrate on ALL ranges, rather than only on long-range shooting!
« Last Edit: May 31st, 2006 at 5:51am by magnumslinger »  

Slinging.org people are progressive preservers of pre-historic protective, pantry-packing, and post-paleolithic parabellum practices...and they're also generally REALLY COOL!  Their bootlaces are their arsenal, and the world is their ammo dump!

IP Logged

Tint
Interfector Viris Spurii
Past Moderator

Hong Kong
Reply #18 - May 30th, 2006 at 11:21pm

Cool! 8)

I'm so glad that the Korean customs didn't take it!

Do you shoot from both sides?  or do you do it just to stay physically balanced?

Can't wait to join your club! Grin

Tint

IP Logged

magnumslinger
Descens

I don't sling a thing
if I ain't got my sling!

United Arab Emirates
Reply #19 - May 31st, 2006 at 12:18am

Dearest friend, Tint,

It's both, actually!  I shoot from both sides, at the more normal ranges, at least, AND I do it to stay physically/kinesiologically balanced, as well!

As soon as we get you into a bow rig that you're happy with ( I started Korean archery with a beautiful 53-pound Korean bow that I call my "sniper bow", which is still my mainstay on the 145-metre range), and you start adding a little (a LITTLE?  Hard to imagine you being content to having a LITTLE skill in ANYTHING you do...It'll probably be more like you'll soon develop "a LITTLE" virtuosity, and you'll be speed shooting clay pigeons from HORSEBACK!  Shocked ) archery to your list of skills, you can consider yourself a co-FOUNDER!
That would be the SOCIETY'S great honour.  8)

I look forward to the day that several of us are getting together with our friends "under the banner of Benjamin" to pratice regularly in quiet places, and becoming better, and better.
Cheesy
« Last Edit: May 31st, 2006 at 4:11am by magnumslinger »  

Slinging.org people are progressive preservers of pre-historic protective, pantry-packing, and post-paleolithic parabellum practices...and they're also generally REALLY COOL!  Their bootlaces are their arsenal, and the world is their ammo dump!

IP Logged

Matthias
Past Moderator

Gatineau/Ottawa QC, Canada
Reply #20 - May 31st, 2006 at 1:28am

I am soooooo jealous. Cry

One day, when my list of projects gets thinned down to a manageable level, I might join you... Unitl then, I'll keep doing my thumb exercises...

Matthias

IP Logged

magnumslinger
Descens

I don't sling a thing
if I ain't got my sling!

United Arab Emirates
Reply #21 - May 31st, 2006 at 4:08am

Dear Matthias,

Sounds like we will have a lot of great people interested in joining the  fun!  I hope you will be able to find the time, whenever the time comes!  It will add great talent and spirit to have great veteran master slingers like you there!  8)

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Chris, Morphy, joe_meadmaker, Kick, Rat Man, vetryan15, Curious Aardvark)