Send Topic Print
Whistling (Read 4457 times)
Gard

Yup, there are slingers
in Norway too!

Norway
Whistling
Nov 30th, 2005 at 5:13pm

I'm quite good making bird sounds. I can make sounds like an owl, seagull, titmouse, cuckoo, and sparrow. Making owl and cuckoo sound I blow in my hands.
Seagull is by my voice.
On sparrow and titmouse I whistle with a special technique. I kind of try to whistle higher up then possible, so that my tonguetouches both up and down teeth, and then blow up my cheeks. Then, if you do it right, you'll get a bird-like whistling.
I'm practicing double-whistling, but I can't explain how to do it. You kind of (I think) make one whiste behind your teeth, and one like normal.

Can anybody explain other whistling techiques? Different bird-whistling techiques...?

Gard

You never know what you might get to need, before you need it.

IP Logged

Douglas_The_Black
Interfector Viris Spurii

Hakkaa päälle!

Salineville Ohio
Re: Whistling
Reply #1 - Dec 1st, 2005 at 3:29pm

i can only make noise with my mouth Smiley

i live in a maze of typo's&&&& popularity is for dolls a hero cannot be popular-Ralph Waldo Emerson&&&&DTB-master of the corny vest, and crappy carpet!
randelflagg22002  
IP Logged

MammotHunter
Interfector Viris Spurii

Give me a rock, a sling,
and give me some room

virginia, for now
Reply #2 - Dec 1st, 2005 at 4:30pm

I make bigfoot noises with my mouth. I used to make all sorts of sounds at work, which caused one guy to remark, you know Jack, people shouldn't be able to even MAKE noises like that. MY girlfriend used to be able to make seagull noises, though

Foolish is he who frets at night,&&And lies awake to worry'&&A weary man when morning comes,&&He finds all as bad as before&&-Excerpted from "The Havemal"
palaeoEvolution  
IP Logged

Æthelbera
Interfector Viris Spurii

Resident Cavegirl

grieving- august 13th/09 :(
Reply #3 - Dec 1st, 2005 at 7:36pm

I can make grunting noises like a caveman and death metal growls....lol.

Some kid in my art class does NOTHING but whistle for 75 minutes. I want him dead.

...&&Each all must his end abide. august 13th, rip Sad&&Varje man är sin egen konung.
WWW Æthelbera  
IP Logged

Willeke
Interfector Viris Spurii
Past Moderator

Give me some string and
I know what to do.

Netherlands
Reply #4 - Dec 2nd, 2005 at 6:02am

The only birdcalls I am good at are jackdaw and crow calls. Those are rather easy to learn, being nearer to words than whistles and we had both kind of birds around the house in my teens.

Willeke

"Never underestimate what a simple person can do with clever tools, nor what a clever person can do with simple tools." - Ian Fieggen - Writer of A booklet on lanyards, PM for info - Member IGKT, Netherlands
Bad spellers of the world: untie!
IP Logged

Fritz_the_Cat

Eat Danish cheese

Detroit Michigan USA
Reply #5 - Dec 2nd, 2005 at 7:52am

I hear a whistling sound when the wind blows hard   Tongue

I also have a special whistle to communicate with fammily members in the woods or shopping . It helps to locate them. Smiley

Lo there do I see my Father , Lo there do I see my Mother , and my Sisters and my Brothers, Lo there do I see a line of my people back to the beginning, Lo they do call to me they bid me to take my place among them in the halls of Vahalla where the brave may live forever

IP Logged

MammotHunter
Interfector Viris Spurii

Give me a rock, a sling,
and give me some room

virginia, for now
Reply #6 - Dec 2nd, 2005 at 1:25pm

A girl that I work with made some comment on our break together regarding the phrase "monkey noises" yesterday night, which launched me off into a string of chimp noises, ranging from curious hooting to alert calls. this, in turn, resulted in her almost spitting her dinner at the nearest window with laughter. As well, one night, I arbitrarily decided to impersonate a white handed gibbon after the library closed, and was impressed with the acoustics of the place, as well as the amused reactions of my coworkers. thinking on it now, what is with me and ape noises?

Foolish is he who frets at night,&&And lies awake to worry'&&A weary man when morning comes,&&He finds all as bad as before&&-Excerpted from "The Havemal"
palaeoEvolution  
IP Logged

Willeke
Interfector Viris Spurii
Past Moderator

Give me some string and
I know what to do.

Netherlands
Reply #7 - Dec 2nd, 2005 at 7:16pm

Are you a close relative to them?  Wink

Willeke

"Never underestimate what a simple person can do with clever tools, nor what a clever person can do with simple tools." - Ian Fieggen - Writer of A booklet on lanyards, PM for info - Member IGKT, Netherlands
Bad spellers of the world: untie!
IP Logged

MammotHunter
Interfector Viris Spurii

Give me a rock, a sling,
and give me some room

virginia, for now
Reply #8 - Dec 2nd, 2005 at 9:41pm

Yeah, some would say...seriously, though. My family calls my dad, "The Silverback" referencing the name given to any male gorilla over 10 years of age, especially one leading a family group. We call him this because of his hair colour, and yeah, his temper, sometimes. As well, his coworkers have started calling him this too, and he seems to like the nickname.

palaeoEvolution  
IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #9 - Dec 3rd, 2005 at 9:23am

let's face it mammot no bloke is going to complain at being given the nickname of a creature strong enough to easily tear a mans arms and legs off :-)

I just do normal whistling.

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

ben_banned
Interfector Viris Spurii

Reply #10 - Dec 3rd, 2005 at 3:15pm

I can only really call doves

zero tolerance=zero intelligence

IP Logged

Douglas_The_Black
Interfector Viris Spurii

Hakkaa päälle!

Salineville Ohio
Reply #11 - Dec 3rd, 2005 at 4:04pm

now how did you ever get to work in a library when you like to make that much noise? Smiley Wink

i live in a maze of typo's&&&& popularity is for dolls a hero cannot be popular-Ralph Waldo Emerson&&&&DTB-master of the corny vest, and crappy carpet!
randelflagg22002  
IP Logged

MammotHunter
Interfector Viris Spurii

Give me a rock, a sling,
and give me some room

virginia, for now
Reply #12 - Dec 3rd, 2005 at 4:11pm

I bared my teeth and beat my chest, and false-charged the HR people when my application was rejected. They quickly got the point, and one woman was smart enough to know to avoid my eye contact and speak softly and reach her hand out with a palmfull of nuts and seeds. More than a year later, here I am working for the City government! It's sort of a monkey house where I work anyway most of the time, so I guess I fit in. Besides, I'm a pretty good baker, and library women love to eat, so they keep me around.

palaeoEvolution  
IP Logged

Douglas_The_Black
Interfector Viris Spurii

Hakkaa päälle!

Salineville Ohio
Reply #13 - Dec 3rd, 2005 at 4:58pm

so the tides have turned then

at first you ate from there palm, now they eat your baked good's  Grin

randelflagg22002  
IP Logged

MammotHunter
Interfector Viris Spurii

Give me a rock, a sling,
and give me some room

virginia, for now
Reply #14 - Dec 3rd, 2005 at 10:34pm

Yes, yes, it's ironic, really. I hadn't thought of it in those terms.

palaeoEvolution  
IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Masiakasaurus, Curious Aardvark, David Morningstar, Rat Man, Chris, Bill Skinner, Mauro Fiorentini)