Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Tennis elbow from slinging (Read 1294 times)
SofaGeorge

I sling tennis balls for
my dog.

Tennis elbow from slinging
Nov 26th, 2005 at 5:07pm

I'm prone to tennis elbow, and I've gotten it a few times in the past.  I've been slinging a lot these last few weeks... and now I'm feeling like something in my elbow is starting to hurt.

Has anyone here ever gotten tennis elbow from slinging?

If the fast life kills you - you'll have no regret
IP Logged

Dale
Interfector Viris Spurii

California, USA
Re: Tennis elbow from slinging
Reply #1 - Nov 26th, 2005 at 5:59pm

Yes, "tennis elbow" happens to slingers too!  The only truly effective thing you can do about tennis elbow is cease the activity that caused it for awhile (six months to a year).  There are several not-as-effective things you can do also.

If you are hooked on slinging, like I am, quitting is out of the question.  That leaves two choices: learn to sling left-handed (I am right-handed), or learn some techniques that don't stress those muscles.

Personally, I have not the patience to switch hands (and my arm has not hurt enough to force the issue).  I have had pretty good results from making sure I warm up properly before slinging, and from learning how to sling with the "unbendable arm" that was discussed in
another topic
.  I think reading the discussion will be useful, but I'll summarize it here.

The "unbendable arm" is a technique taken from aikido, according to SEB.  You don't hold your arm rigid, you hold it stiff but relaxed (and there's a couple of mind tricks to achieve this; SEB suggested imagining your arm is a firehose, with water rushing through it full-force).  Holding it rigid means your muscles are tense, which means that opposing muscle groups are pulling on the bones, which means that any force applied to your arm unbalances the forces and your arm bends suddenly.  Holding it relaxed means your muscles are not tensed, which means they are free to react instantly to any force applied to your arm.  In short, you hold your arm as rigid as you can, and I can bend it by something as simple as popping you on the inside of the elbow; you hold your arm relaxed, and it is unbendable.

If you learn the "unbendable arm" technique (and it is surprisingly easy to learn, I don't even have any martial arts training and it only took me an evening) and if you use it consistently (that's harder, I keep forgetting to do it) then you will be able to sling in moderation without stressing those forearm muscles and tearing them away from the bone more than you already have.

Of course, if you have a continuing problem with tennis elbow, then you never have really let the muscles heal.  It does not work, just to wait until your arm does not hurt any more.  The damage is all where the muscles attach to the bone, and the blood supply is not good at those points (maximum strength in tendons and ligaments is not achieved by perforating them with blood vessels).  It does take six months to a year for the damage to really heal.  You may need an extended period of not slinging, or you may even need surgery -- followed again by an extended period of not slinging.

Hope this helps.  I've had some success when I remember to do as I have just preached, but if I forget even a few times, I'm hurting for several days.

No, I don't live in a glass house.&&&&"If builders built buildings the way programmers write programs, then the first woodpecker that came along would destroy civilization."&&&&Context matters!  "Nothing but net" is a BAD thing in tennis...
IP Logged

SofaGeorge

I sling tennis balls for
my dog.

Reply #2 - Nov 26th, 2005 at 7:22pm

Dale, thanks.  That was a great post.

I will try slinging with both hands.

If the fast life kills you - you'll have no regret
IP Logged

Tint
Interfector Viris Spurii
Past Moderator

Hong Kong
Reply #3 - Nov 26th, 2005 at 9:11pm

Try using a longer sling.  That should put less stress on the elbow.

IP Logged

Tumakas
Descens

I'm slinging in the rain!

Las Vegas, NV
Reply #4 - Nov 26th, 2005 at 9:15pm

Hi, n00b here, what's tennis elbow? Is it when the elbow part of your biceps hurts, because I think i have it now...

redleadersb HypapinoyskadA  
IP Logged

Tint
Interfector Viris Spurii
Past Moderator

Hong Kong
Reply #5 - Nov 26th, 2005 at 9:45pm

Tennis elbow would create pain right at the joint.  If your muscle hurt it should be just pain from the work out you had.  Muscle pain is alot easier to deal with that joint problems.  Often it is even good because it means your muscle is getting stronger!

IP Logged

Willeke
Interfector Viris Spurii
Past Moderator

Give me some string and
I know what to do.

Netherlands
Reply #6 - Nov 27th, 2005 at 1:20am

This topic has been around several times, if you search for 'tennis elbow' you get many links. And many tips. There are too many threads to give you a link to the best, you have to read them all to get the best tips.
Set the max time high, and play with the minimum time to get the most out of the search function.

Willeke

"Never underestimate what a simple person can do with clever tools, nor what a clever person can do with simple tools." - Ian Fieggen - Writer of A booklet on lanyards, PM for info - Member IGKT, Netherlands
Bad spellers of the world: untie!
IP Logged

Gard

Yup, there are slingers
in Norway too!

Norway
Reply #7 - Nov 27th, 2005 at 9:09am

I had inflammation of a tendon in my left forearm because of too much fiddle playing. I didn't play for a month, and since I stopped before it had been to much damage, I haven't had problems with it later. But I know people that had to quit because it, so it's important to be careful.

Gard

You never know what you might get to need, before you need it.

IP Logged

Stein Vegard
Descens

The n00b...

In the south of sweet, Norway
Reply #8 - Nov 27th, 2005 at 9:59am

Sometimes I get very hurt in my arms because of playing to much piano.... Smiley
My father sells things that help you if you have that problem, because he is a physiotherapist, so if i get that thing of slinging to much, i can almost get it free Wink

Stein Vegard

Read your Bible....
Stein Vegard Stein Vegard  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Rat Man, Kick, Morphy, vetryan15, Chris, Curious Aardvark, joe_meadmaker)