Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
coelacanth a fish out of time (Read 1272 times)
undertacker0
Novicius

I love Slinging.org!

madison wi
coelacanth a fish out of time
Nov 26th, 2005 at 1:38pm

Fossil Fish

The fish named coelacanth (see-la-kanth) is one of the oldest living organism known to man. The coelacanth has remained the same for around 510 Million years.

DISCOVERY

The coelacanth was caught December 22, 1938 off the southern shore of Madagascar. When examined the fish  showed that it resembled 510,000,000 years old fossil. The theory that the coelacanth evolved into mammals and small reptiles was developed by Mr. Smith. This idea was known as the Smith Theory. The fish meant so much to Mr. Smith that he slept by it even before it was stuffed.

DESCRIPTION

The coelacanth has been described by scientists as a fish with scales that look like crystal, gold, and sapphire fused together.

The coelacanth is 5-6 ft long and weighs a whopping 108 lbs. The coelacanth has a double jointed jaw and teeth in only the front of the mouth. The spine of the coelacanth is empty and the same goes for half of it's skull, the other half is filled with the brain

HABITAT

The coelacanth is found deep under water. Warm water would cause it to die. The coelacanth doesn't like other fish. The coelacanth doesn't travel in packs. The first coelacanth found in it's natural habitat was 2000 km, off the southern shore of Madagascar.

PREDATOR/PREY

The coelacanth likes to feast on jellyfish and, squid. Also known as the "Goat of the Sea" it will eat almost anything that looks tasty. One was actually found dead from indigestion. The only known predators are sharks and other carnivorous fish bigger than it.

FUN FACTS

The coelacanth lived more than 150,000,000 years before the dinosaurs. On its belly it has 4 small fins that appear to be small stubs of feet, so another nickname is "Old Four-Legs." Another amazing fact about the coelacanth is that it gives birth to live young.

In conclusion, if the Smith Theory that the coelacanth evolved into mammals is correct. Without the coelacanth we never would have existed.

I am cool I am cool c.o.o.l that spells undertacker0
greygooooo  
IP Logged

Arkanii
Descens

Get back, I can sling!

Re: coelacanth a fish out of time
Reply #1 - Nov 26th, 2005 at 1:46pm

Interesting but how is this relative to slinging  ???

BlackSnow28  
IP Logged

undertacker0
Novicius

I love Slinging.org!

madison wi
Reply #2 - Nov 26th, 2005 at 1:47pm

nothing

I am cool I am cool c.o.o.l that spells undertacker0
greygooooo  
IP Logged

MammotHunter
Interfector Viris Spurii

Give me a rock, a sling,
and give me some room

virginia, for now
Reply #3 - Nov 26th, 2005 at 3:19pm

That without the development of the limbs pioneered by tetratopodic organisms like ceolacanth and ichthyostega and the like, we never would have developed wonderfulk appendages with which to sling. but in undertacker's defence, I think the title of the forum "General Discussion" may be misleading.

Foolish is he who frets at night,&&And lies awake to worry'&&A weary man when morning comes,&&He finds all as bad as before&&-Excerpted from "The Havemal"
palaeoEvolution  
IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #4 - Dec 4th, 2005 at 8:01am

and again - your point ?
Surely if the coelocanth had evolved into land bound slinging mammals - we still wouldn't be able to catch them swimming around in the sea :-)

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Curious Aardvark, Chris, Rat Man, Bill Skinner, Masiakasaurus, Mauro Fiorentini, David Morningstar)