Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Pre Columbian Nazca Sling (Read 1491 times)
bigkahuna
past-moderator

Delaware, USA
Pre Columbian Nazca Sling
Nov 24th, 2005 at 1:53am

In the Historical Images Gallery there is a photo of what is called a PreColumbian Nazca Sling, circa 3rd century. From the picture it appears that the cords of the Nazca sling are almost identical to the cords of the Tibetan slings recently purchased by some of our members. Interesting coincedence????

Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day. Teach a man to fish and he will sit in a boat and drink beer all day.
John Walker  
IP Logged

slingbadger
Interfector Viris Spurii

Don't Badger a Badger

Akron NY
Re: Pre Columbian Nazca Sling
Reply #1 - Nov 24th, 2005 at 3:22pm

Well, considering the simpleness of the sling, I imagine there really can't be many variations of the design. Also, all cultures had access to the same basic materials.  It is interesting, though, that the sling evolved ( gee, can we say that word anymore?) in so many areas independent of each other. There was a niche to fill in all the cultures, and the sling filled it.

The greatest of all the accomplishments of 20th cent. science has been the discovery of human ignorance  The main difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has it's limits.-Einstein   I'm getting psychic as I get older. Or is that psychotic?

IP Logged

Tint
Interfector Viris Spurii
Past Moderator

Hong Kong
Reply #2 - Nov 24th, 2005 at 11:30pm

I think we have done very well in improving the design of the sling on this forum!  Techstuff, Thomas and Matthias had made slings that the world haven't seem before.

IP Logged

Willeke
Interfector Viris Spurii
Past Moderator

Give me some string and
I know what to do.

Netherlands
Reply #3 - Nov 25th, 2005 at 12:35am

Or is it a sign that the sling is as old as humanity and spread with the people?

Willeke

"Never underestimate what a simple person can do with clever tools, nor what a clever person can do with simple tools." - Ian Fieggen - Writer of A booklet on lanyards, PM for info - Member IGKT, Netherlands
Bad spellers of the world: untie!
IP Logged

bigkahuna
past-moderator

Delaware, USA
Reply #4 - Nov 25th, 2005 at 1:34am

I'm not talking about the design of the sling itself. I'm talking about the geometric pattern of the weaving in the cords of the sling. The pattern is almost a dead match for the pattern of the Tibetan slings. It just strikes me as alittle unusual. Smiley

Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day. Teach a man to fish and he will sit in a boat and drink beer all day.
John Walker  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: David Morningstar, Bill Skinner, Chris, Mauro Fiorentini, Rat Man, Curious Aardvark, Masiakasaurus)