Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Iliad (Read 2906 times)
Yobolobobo
Descens

I Heart Slinging.org!

Iliad
Nov 20th, 2005 at 10:17pm

During Latin a few days ago, we were talking about the Iliad.  When I first read it, I hadn't started slinging.  Thinking about it now though, I don't think there was anything about slings in the entire story!  This seems strange, especially because there is a style of throw named after the Greeks!  Has anyone else noticed this?

IP Logged

bigkahuna
past-moderator

Delaware, USA
Re: Iliad
Reply #1 - Nov 20th, 2005 at 10:48pm

Look up "Troy In England" on the internet. The theory is that the Iliad is really a story about a Bronze Age war between the people of western Europe and the people of southern Britain over control of the tin deposits in Britain that were needed to produce bronze. Interesting theory. Smiley Also explain why not many weapons were found at Troy. Smiley

Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day. Teach a man to fish and he will sit in a boat and drink beer all day.
John Walker  
IP Logged

slingbadger
Interfector Viris Spurii

Don't Badger a Badger

Akron NY
Reply #2 - Nov 21st, 2005 at 12:03pm

I think the only reference to slings is an arm sling for binding a broken arm. I'll take a look through my copy though.

The greatest of all the accomplishments of 20th cent. science has been the discovery of human ignorance  The main difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has it's limits.-Einstein   I'm getting psychic as I get older. Or is that psychotic?

IP Logged

slingbadger
Interfector Viris Spurii

Don't Badger a Badger

Akron NY
Reply #3 - Nov 22nd, 2005 at 12:08pm

Here we go

There is a reference to a sling being used as a bandage in Book XIII
  " The spear was withdrawn from his wound by the noble Agenor, who bound up the hand with a bandage of fine spun wool. It was really a sling, which the lord Agenor's squire was able to lend him" Never says if the squire got it back ( or wanted it back)

Also, there is mention of the Loricans, armorless warriors who" believed in the bow and the sling of fine spun wool. It was with these weapons that they had followed their Chief to Ilium; and there were indeed occasions when the Trojan company was cut to pieces by their vollies"

In Book XII, there are references to showers of stones
  "The Trojans too hurled stones; and showers of rocks from the hands of either side came pelting to the ground like flakes in a blizzard"
  " Such were the showers of stones that flew in both directions, as the Achaeans pelted the Trojans and the Trojans the Achaeans, till the whole length of the wall was thundering to the vollies they exchanged"
  However, they don't mention really if the stone were really thrown by hand, sling, or siege engine.

The greatest of all the accomplishments of 20th cent. science has been the discovery of human ignorance  The main difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has it's limits.-Einstein   I'm getting psychic as I get older. Or is that psychotic?

IP Logged

Thearos
Interfector Viris Spurii

Take that

Reply #4 - Feb 28th, 2009 at 9:02pm

(Lokrians)

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Chris, Rat Man, Bill Skinner, Curious Aardvark, Masiakasaurus, Mauro Fiorentini, David Morningstar)