Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
slinging in the trenches (Read 1286 times)
lobohunter
Interfector Viris Spurii

where be a rock and a
string there be a sling

Cottage Grove or
slinging in the trenches
Nov 20th, 2005 at 9:54pm

I was out in a local feild saturday. Hurling a few stones
When I noticed a small intermittent steam, with a bed full of stones. I plopped down into the dry stream bed
gathered a couple pockets full of stones. Then I noticed
I could just barely see over the egde of this ditch I was in. I began to wonder if I could sling from where I was.
So using the over head throw I hurled a couple stones.
I was amaze how easly they shot out of the trench. How well they hit target. Knowing I was almost completely obscured from veiw I relized I had stumbled on to a very useful new tool
I was thinking of hunting aplications. I also wonder how this may have been used in the past. Are there any historical refernce of sling from a trench?

Albert Scott C bigbadwolf41 77940+hwy+99+south,+Spc+22  
IP Logged

Tint
Interfector Viris Spurii
Past Moderator

Hong Kong
Re: slinging in the trenches
Reply #1 - Nov 21st, 2005 at 2:50am

That a great idea!  I see it being very useful.

I have never heard of any historical references of slinging in trenches.  But in the movie "King David" there was a scene where some of the slingers were slinging while kneeling down.  They used the over-head-helicopter throw mostly and were reloading efficiently because they were closer to the pile of stones than if they were standing up.

Slingin in trenches definitely make sense.

IP Logged

MammotHunter
Interfector Viris Spurii

Give me a rock, a sling,
and give me some room

virginia, for now
Reply #2 - Nov 21st, 2005 at 9:11am

I can imagine something like that being used by some joker in the trenches during WW1 or something. It's a dark, foggy night, somewhat cold, and ammo is almost exhausted. The two sides have been fighting all day, and nobody has the courage or the energy to make another charge with no ammo left. So, some guy picks up a rock, puts it in a makeshift sling, and just for s***s and giggles, decides to lob one over into the enemy's ranks, which he does. In the dark, they all think it's a grenade and run quickly in all directions, giving the other side a good laugh.

Foolish is he who frets at night,&&And lies awake to worry'&&A weary man when morning comes,&&He finds all as bad as before&&-Excerpted from "The Havemal"
palaeoEvolution  
IP Logged

Leeds_Lobber

Reply #3 - Nov 21st, 2005 at 9:42am

I remember references to Republicans slinging grenades from their defences at Nationalists during the Spanish Civil War.

Pat

IP Logged

Naiyor
Descens

My sling-a-ling, My sling-a-ling,
I want you to..

Canada
Reply #4 - Nov 22nd, 2005 at 12:14pm

A little off topic... regarding the enemy thinking tha the rock was a grenade..

I seem to remember reading about a naval battle where an enemy submarine was damaged and surfaced near a ship. The ship could bring its guns to bear and there was minimal small arms. They ended up pelting the sub with potatoes. the sub crew thought that they were grenades and surrendered, rather than sinking.

not sure where I read that....

IP Logged

lobohunter
Interfector Viris Spurii

where be a rock and a
string there be a sling

Cottage Grove or
Reply #5 - Nov 23rd, 2005 at 12:07am

I was out in the trenches this afternoon. I really enjoy slinging out of a trench. Since I am hurling overhanded. I can be almost completely conceiled i just need to beable to see is all. The stone realease is above my head. great hunting potential. I have best veiw of the stones tajectory I have ever had. Tonight I was practicing  the single revoulition realease. I quickly found that a path for the sling must be cleared in the trench. the cutting of a few minor limbsand tall grasses and weeds. Much like you would do in a tree stand. I hurled about ten 4 to 5 ounce stones in a staight line to about 150 yards, then started stump shooting. I very impressted with this position for the hurling of the leather. I can see this defentily one of the postions i would use for the taking of larger game. Find a ditch trench or maybe even did a fox hole along a game trail. and wala. excuse me if I ranted to much. But I am defenitly impressed with this new discovery. I reccomend everybody give it a try. Grin

IP Logged

Douglas_The_Black
Interfector Viris Spurii

Hakkaa päälle!

Salineville Ohio
Reply #6 - Nov 23rd, 2005 at 8:17am

how much room do you have to move your arms?

i live in a maze of typo's&&&& popularity is for dolls a hero cannot be popular-Ralph Waldo Emerson&&&&DTB-master of the corny vest, and crappy carpet!
randelflagg22002  
IP Logged

lobohunter
Interfector Viris Spurii

where be a rock and a
string there be a sling

Cottage Grove or
Reply #7 - Nov 23rd, 2005 at 3:53pm

its a three to four ft wide trench

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Morphy, Chris, joe_meadmaker, vetryan15, Curious Aardvark, Rat Man, Kick)