Past Moderator

Give me some string and
I know what to do.

Netherlands
Re: Slinging to Music
Reply #15 - Nov 27th, 2005 at 12:53am

Gard,
I do agree with you.
I like a lot of folk music. And there is such a wide range in folk music, there is something for every one. I even know a hardrockfolk band. They do folk music the rough way and I love it.
Here is a link to there website. There are also some samples there.
http://www.omnia-neocelt.com/index2.html

But I do also like a lot of other music.

Willeke

"Never underestimate what a simple person can do with clever tools, nor what a clever person can do with simple tools." - Ian Fieggen - Writer of A booklet on lanyards, PM for info - Member IGKT, Netherlands
Bad spellers of the world: untie!
IP Logged

lobohunter
Interfector Viris Spurii

where be a rock and a
string there be a sling

Cottage Grove or
Reply #16 - Nov 27th, 2005 at 2:38am

I think you should sling to queen. such titles as another one bites the dust.  Somebody going to get hurt tonight lol

Albert Scott C bigbadwolf41 77940+hwy+99+south,+Spc+22  
IP Logged

bigkahuna
past-moderator

Delaware, USA
Reply #17 - Nov 27th, 2005 at 10:14am

Hey Gard! I'm a piper also. Do they have many pipers in Norway? Smiley

Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day. Teach a man to fish and he will sit in a boat and drink beer all day.
John Walker  
IP Logged

MammotHunter
Interfector Viris Spurii

Give me a rock, a sling,
and give me some room

virginia, for now
Reply #18 - Nov 27th, 2005 at 2:40pm

Quote:
The problem about people is that they haven't listened to folk music, and they just say that they don't like it. Most people that say like you don't even know how bagpipe sounds like, even though they "hate" it. They wouldn't recognize bagpipe if they heard.
Hope this wasn't too much, but if it's something I really hate, it's people that judge traditional music before they've tried to like it

Gard

See. I was afraid of this. I think you misunderstood what I meant. Not too long ago, really, the Scots used the bagpipes as a weapon of war, to whip their own soldiers into a frenzy. On me, it has the same effect as it would on a Scotsman standing on the battlefield. I gain courage and strength from its sound. I become unstoppable (at least in my mind) and just hearing themn arouses in me a feeling almost undescribable, but something very deep; songs like "Scotland the Brave" in particular. I don't hate the bagpipes. On the contrary, they're probably my favourite instrument, followed by the didjeridu. The sound has an effect on me though, that's noticable if you're in my vicinity  when they're playing. And I happen to love Irish and Scottish Folk music. In fact, I'm known at work for being heard to sing scottish and irish folk songs while I work.
Oh, and did I forget to mention the bumper sticker on the back of my truck that reads "Blow it out your bagpipes"?

Foolish is he who frets at night,&&And lies awake to worry'&&A weary man when morning comes,&&He finds all as bad as before&&-Excerpted from "The Havemal"
palaeoEvolution  
IP Logged

Gard

Yup, there are slingers
in Norway too!

Norway
Reply #19 - Nov 27th, 2005 at 4:09pm

The bagpipe was used as the signal orcestras today in many countries, where they play trumpet and blowing instruments like that.
They played tunes to keep up the moral at the soldiers, NOT to make them crazy and freak out.
Why was the bagpipe used to dancing in royal balls, to whip the dancers into a frenzy?
There are loads of retreat marches on the bagpipe, so...they were made to make the soldiers go crazy on themself?
The bagpipe was used in whole Europe, how could it if everybody went crazy when they heard the sound?

Bigkahuna: There are not many bagpipers in Norway, I know only one, and he's a scot.
Just some days ago I got a letter with a picture of a beatiful old oven. This oven had a motive of a Norwegian bagpiper playing to dance. I believe from looking at the picture that they were dancing a parhalling. The bagpipe was used quite much in Norway long time ago. Smiley

Gard
« Last Edit: Nov 28th, 2005 at 10:13am by Gard »  

You never know what you might get to need, before you need it.

IP Logged

bigkahuna
past-moderator

Delaware, USA
Reply #20 - Nov 27th, 2005 at 8:37pm

In the 1740s a piper in Scotland was put to death for playing the Bagpipes which were classified by parliament as a weapon of war.This was just after the Battle of Culloden and the end of the Jacobite rebellion. I wonder if any of the Scots used slings?

Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day. Teach a man to fish and he will sit in a boat and drink beer all day.
John Walker  
IP Logged

Douglas_The_Black
Interfector Viris Spurii

Hakkaa päälle!

Salineville Ohio
Reply #21 - Nov 28th, 2005 at 10:56am

i think so, there was a post on scot, sling ammo. these fancy carved looking things.  Smiley

i live in a maze of typo's&&&& popularity is for dolls a hero cannot be popular-Ralph Waldo Emerson&&&&DTB-master of the corny vest, and crappy carpet!
randelflagg22002  
IP Logged

AjlouniBoy
Descens

Sling smarter, not harder!

Fort Worth, Texas, USA
Reply #22 - Nov 28th, 2005 at 8:03pm

I am a big fan of the pipes meself.

Gard & Bigkahuna, is it true that it takes 7 years to learn to play them badly? Wink

AjlouniBoy

Like tying a stone in a sling is the giving of honor to a fool.&&Proverbs 26:8

IP Logged

bigkahuna
past-moderator

Delaware, USA
Reply #23 - Nov 28th, 2005 at 8:27pm

Actually it takes about 7 years just to get the darn things going. Them you have to tune them up. Kind of an oxymoron isn't it "tuned up Bagpipes" Grin

John Walker  
IP Logged

Douglas_The_Black
Interfector Viris Spurii

Hakkaa päälle!

Salineville Ohio
Reply #24 - Nov 29th, 2005 at 8:57am

i kinda like the sound of bag pipes.  Smiley

i live in a maze of typo's&&&& popularity is for dolls a hero cannot be popular-Ralph Waldo Emerson&&&&DTB-master of the corny vest, and crappy carpet!
randelflagg22002  
IP Logged

Gard

Yup, there are slingers
in Norway too!

Norway
Reply #25 - Nov 29th, 2005 at 9:05am

I still only practice at the chanter, I have to get my own hardanger fiddle before I can start thinking of getting a real Great Highland Bagpipe.
The fiddle (and hardanger fiddle) is my first instrument, so I have to get that first. I'm actually borrowing a hardanger fiddle to test if before I maybe buy it. It's built of Steinkjønndalen in 1952, and I like it!
I've been thinking of getting a Smallpipe (also called Lowlandpipe and Coldwindpipe, you have a pump under your right arm instead of blowing into the bagpipe), they're tuned so that you can play together with fiddle and other C-tuned instruments.
I've only played the pipes for a year or so, so I'm not so good yet, and with lots other things to do, I don't have time to practice so much.
I was in Scotland this summer (together with my bodyguard, mom  Wink), and I tried a REAL bagpipe, but it was hard, I saw yellow dots in front of me. Grin
How long time have you been playing the pipes, Bigkahuna?

Gard

IP Logged

Douglas_The_Black
Interfector Viris Spurii

Hakkaa päälle!

Salineville Ohio
Reply #26 - Nov 29th, 2005 at 9:13am

haha so it takes alot of lung power to play?

randelflagg22002  
IP Logged

Stein Vegard
Descens

The n00b...

In the south of sweet, Norway
Reply #27 - Nov 29th, 2005 at 12:21pm

If you are a beginner, you are almost suposed to have problems with your breath.... It is very often right before you are being knocked out Wink
But that's if you are playing a normal bagpipe.... You can also get a smaller bagpipe that are almost like a normal blockflute.

Stein Vegard Smiley
« Last Edit: Nov 29th, 2005 at 3:32pm by Stein Vegard »  

Read your Bible....
Stein Vegard Stein Vegard  
IP Logged

Gard

Yup, there are slingers
in Norway too!

Norway
Reply #28 - Nov 29th, 2005 at 3:26pm

Quote:
haha so it takes alot of lung power to play?

Oh yeah! The one I tried was used by a 9 year old girl, so... Roll Eyes

Gard

IP Logged

Douglas_The_Black
Interfector Viris Spurii

Hakkaa päälle!

Salineville Ohio
Reply #29 - Nov 29th, 2005 at 5:45pm

well if it was a 9 year old scottish girl dont blame yourself. Grin

randelflagg22002  
IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Kick, vetryan15, joe_meadmaker, Rat Man, Chris, Morphy, Curious Aardvark)