Send Topic Print
Slinging to Music (Read 3718 times)
Wrenn
Tiro

I love Slinging.org!

Adelaide, Australia
Slinging to Music
Nov 17th, 2005 at 7:40am

Does anyone else listen to music while slinging? I bought an iPod nano yesterday and tried it out today while I was practicing. I dont know if it helped my performance at all but it was definately more fun. I did find myself tapping my feet just before each cast which became a bit distracting though Wink

Now I just need to work out what music works best. Slower stuff, or at least something with a constant beat seemed to work well whereas songs with lots of stops/starts put me off my rhythem a bit.

IP Logged

Stein Vegard
Descens

The n00b...

In the south of sweet, Norway
Re: Slinging to Music
Reply #1 - Nov 17th, 2005 at 9:08am

Good idea.... But...I don't think it is any special help in it...i've never tried it but maybe i'm gonna do that when i get a mp3 player Wink

Read your Bible....
Stein Vegard Stein Vegard  
IP Logged

slingbadger
Interfector Viris Spurii

Don't Badger a Badger

Akron NY
Reply #2 - Nov 17th, 2005 at 12:37pm

Interesting idea. Personally I think " Ride of the Valkyries" by Richard Wagner would be awesome to sling by. It would be fun to try  and sling in time to the music.

The greatest of all the accomplishments of 20th cent. science has been the discovery of human ignorance  The main difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has it's limits.-Einstein   I'm getting psychic as I get older. Or is that psychotic?

IP Logged

Castle7

I'm on fire today!!

GR, Michigan
Reply #3 - Nov 17th, 2005 at 10:11pm

I listen to my mp3 player on the way to my slinging spot, but once I get there I turn it off. I enjoy listioning to the natural sounds in the woods.

If I build it, they will run.&&-Mikeel&&&&

IP Logged

MammotHunter
Interfector Viris Spurii

Give me a rock, a sling,
and give me some room

virginia, for now
Reply #4 - Nov 17th, 2005 at 10:13pm

I sing to myself while I'm slinging. It helps to clear my head. I sing whatever comes to mind or seems to feel right.

Foolish is he who frets at night,&&And lies awake to worry'&&A weary man when morning comes,&&He finds all as bad as before&&-Excerpted from "The Havemal"
palaeoEvolution  
IP Logged

Stein Vegard
Descens

The n00b...

Reply #5 - Nov 18th, 2005 at 9:44am

I think that one of the most beautiful sounds to hear while you are slinging are to hear that the stone are hitting something! That's a lovely sound... Cheesy

Read your Bible....
IP Logged

Gard

Yup, there are slingers
in Norway too!

Norway
Reply #6 - Nov 18th, 2005 at 10:01am

I tried today slinging to Scottish Great Highland Bagpipe music, that did NOT help anything... Roll Eyes

Gard

You never know what you might get to need, before you need it.

IP Logged

Stein Vegard
Descens

The n00b...

Reply #7 - Nov 18th, 2005 at 10:15am

Grin you are a funny boy Gard!!!

Read your Bible....
IP Logged

AjlouniBoy
Descens

Sling smarter, not harder!

Fort Worth, Texas, USA
Reply #8 - Nov 18th, 2005 at 2:13pm

Gard,

Try "Barren Rocks of Aden" and "Campbells are Coming"

They are the musical equivalents of Celtic knots and the slinging equivalent of  "Figure 8" casts.

AjlouniBoy
« Last Edit: Nov 18th, 2005 at 4:26pm by AjlouniBoy »  

Like tying a stone in a sling is the giving of honor to a fool.&&Proverbs 26:8

IP Logged

MammotHunter
Interfector Viris Spurii

Give me a rock, a sling,
and give me some room

virginia, for now
Reply #9 - Nov 18th, 2005 at 2:18pm

Nothing can quite get me in an @rse kicking kind of mood like hearing "scotland the brave" being played in quick time on a bagpipe. I can't help it. My bloody gets all fired up and I start feeling like I could whip just about anything or one. That, and maybe Feuer Frei by rammstein. Rammstein, I once told a friend of mine, is music to kick a** to.

Foolish is he who frets at night,&&And lies awake to worry'&&A weary man when morning comes,&&He finds all as bad as before&&-Excerpted from "The Havemal"
palaeoEvolution  
IP Logged

Stein Vegard
Descens

The n00b...

Reply #10 - Nov 18th, 2005 at 2:22pm

Hmmm..... We all like different types of music WinkBut try to listen to other songs with bagpipe music.... I like "scottland the brave" very much.... Undecided

Stein Vegard
« Last Edit: Nov 27th, 2005 at 10:51am by Stein Vegard »  

Read your Bible....
IP Logged

bigkahuna
past-moderator

Delaware, USA
Reply #11 - Nov 20th, 2005 at 9:13pm

Has any ever heard of Lambeg Drums. They are sort of like the Northern Irish equivalent of the Taiko Drums of Japan. They were used to intimidate the opposition and are stiil used by the Orangemen in their parades in Northern Ireland.

Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day. Teach a man to fish and he will sit in a boat and drink beer all day.
John Walker  
IP Logged

Taiki
Interfector Viris Spurii

Don't tell my mom i'm
here will you...

belgium
Reply #12 - Nov 25th, 2005 at 10:12pm

try slinging to dimmu borgir no really puritannia has a good rythm try and keep up now  Grin

Taiki  
IP Logged

Stein Vegard
Descens

The n00b...

Reply #13 - Nov 26th, 2005 at 9:05am

Dimmu Borgir is a norwegian hard rock metal band....i don't like that kind of music...it's just to hard and i don't get any good feeling inside me....but that's just me Wink

Read your Bible....
IP Logged

Gard

Yup, there are slingers
in Norway too!

Norway
Reply #14 - Nov 26th, 2005 at 10:31am

Quote:
Nothing can quite get me in an @rse kicking kind of mood like hearing "scotland the brave" being played in quick time on a bagpipe. I can't help it. My bloody gets all fired up and I start feeling like I could whip just about anything or one. That, and maybe Feuer Frei by rammstein. Rammstein, I once told a friend of mine, is music to kick a** to.

The problem about people is that they haven't listened to folk music, and they just say that they don't like it. Most people that say like you don't even know how bagpipe sounds like, even though they "hate" it. They wouldn't recognize bagpipe if they heard.
I can't stand hard rock, I have tried to like it, but it just got too not-music. It sounds like someone being killed with torture.
About pop, and rock, I like very much of it, but some of it is just too simple. I'm a big fan of Coldplay, and I have most of their CDs.
I play hardanger fiddle, regular fiddle, and Great Highland Bagpipe, and everywhere I come, I see people holding for their ears, BEFORE I START PLAYING! They don't give themself a chance to like it!
The bagpipe has 9 notes, and you have constant sound from it, it might sound a little strange in the beginning, but when you stop saying it's the worst thing you can get, and try to actually LISTEN to it, it's just great.
I really like the bagpipe, and my earlier post here was meant as a joke.
At school is has happened several times that other pupils hit and kick me because of that I like traditional music. How stupid is it possible to be, when you have to be voilent because of someone's music taste?
Because of that you've heard "Scotland the Brave" and didn't like that, you can't say that all of it is just piece of poopy.

Hope this wasn't too much, but if it's something I really hate, it's people that judge traditional music before they've tried to like it

Gard

You never know what you might get to need, before you need it.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: joe_meadmaker, Chris, Curious Aardvark, Rat Man, Morphy, vetryan15, Kick)