Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Karambits (Read 8539 times)
Fritz_the_Cat

Eat Danish cheese

Detroit Michigan USA
Karambits
Nov 16th, 2005 at 11:26am

Has anyone played around with a Karambit ? Its a small hooked blade of Indonesian orgin and is part of the Penjak Silat fighting system . I bought a cheap folder and some of the moves are cool as the handle sports a finger hole at the rear . It is usually held blade down with the index finger in the hole . An underhanded spin to the armpit or groin would be deadly .

Its not as flashy as a balisong but still interesting . Smiley

Lo there do I see my Father , Lo there do I see my Mother , and my Sisters and my Brothers, Lo there do I see a line of my people back to the beginning, Lo they do call to me they bid me to take my place among them in the halls of Vahalla where the brave may live forever

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Re: Karambits
Reply #1 - Nov 16th, 2005 at 11:32am

I've got a martial arts cdrom that mentions penjat silat - the guy doing the demos pretty much only uses machetes. I can't be arsed to go look so can you post a pic of this karambit - sounds like a starter for an indian meal :-)

Added - 21-11-05
[img]http://www.karambit.com/images/kc-main.jpg[/img]

Like i always say - if you want something doing don't bother asking anyone else :-)
« Last Edit: Nov 21st, 2005 at 8:56am by Curious Aardvark »  

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

Fritz_the_Cat

Eat Danish cheese

Detroit Michigan USA
Reply #2 - Nov 16th, 2005 at 1:43pm

I have no means of posting a picture for awhile . There are plenty of images on the net . Just punch in Karambit in your search engine . I like the ones with a steel ring . If you "accidently" use one with a wooden ring as a brass knuckle it might bust . Undecided

Lo there do I see my Father , Lo there do I see my Mother , and my Sisters and my Brothers, Lo there do I see a line of my people back to the beginning, Lo they do call to me they bid me to take my place among them in the halls of Vahalla where the brave may live forever

IP Logged

vaquero
Tiro

Reply #3 - Nov 16th, 2005 at 1:49pm

I train using the karambit. I practice Sayoc Kali.

We do not inherit this land from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.

IP Logged

Fritz_the_Cat

Eat Danish cheese

Detroit Michigan USA
Reply #4 - Nov 16th, 2005 at 2:39pm

Vaquero, Please tell me more ! There is only one book available in English and the author admits to not including all the techniques (i.e. the deadly ones). Since I'm a peace loving Martial artist I would really like to learn more . I promise its for academic purposes only Grin

Welcome to the site

IP Logged

Tumakas
Descens

I'm slinging in the rain!

Las Vegas, NV
Reply #5 - Nov 16th, 2005 at 9:19pm

Wow, there are still people practicing Kali? Well, nice to meet you Vaquero. I practice Ocho Kantos Kali under Punong Guru Jon Cuenca, have you seen that style? What are the differences (if any)?
« Last Edit: Nov 17th, 2005 at 6:49pm by Tumakas »  
redleadersb HypapinoyskadA  
IP Logged

vaquero
Tiro

Reply #6 - Nov 17th, 2005 at 6:12am

Fritz the Cat- go to www.sayoc.com for more info to include a dvd on karambit techniques. There are alot of styles out there and lots of dvd's. You can only learn so much from them, you need a training partner! I use an aluminum training karambit to practice our templates, no sharp edges and no points. You receive energy from a person who is trying to defeat your moves versus a static dummy/katas.
Tumakas-nice to meet you, I have not heard of your style of kali. Then again there are many out there.

IP Logged

Fritz_the_Cat

Eat Danish cheese

Detroit Michigan USA
Reply #7 - Nov 17th, 2005 at 9:08am

Vaquero, Thanks , Its a cool site and I think I'll order the dvd . How long is the blade on your training karambit ?

Tumakas , Hello , I think this is going to be a good discusion . Look forward to reading more posts on this subject.

I think I'm going to make my own steel Karambit and a matching aluminum trainer . Do you guys wear arm protectors ?  Grin
« Last Edit: Nov 19th, 2005 at 11:01am by Fritz_the_Cat »  

IP Logged

vaquero
Tiro

Reply #8 - Nov 17th, 2005 at 1:12pm

Training karambit has a blade about 3-4 inches long (approx.). We do not waer inner arm protection with the trainers and nor with live blade either. But that is always a concern that as you twirl the karambit you could cut the inner forearm area.

IP Logged

Fritz_the_Cat

Eat Danish cheese

Detroit Michigan USA
Reply #9 - Nov 18th, 2005 at 12:28pm

Is anyone familiar with Mtechs folding karambit ? You occasionaly see one on ebay . They are designed by Jose Negron, blade artist . They are also called Dragon tooth or claw . I read on some other website that the possibility of it folding back on ones hand could concivably happen. This could only happen if the rear of the blade was used in a parry type move in which the blade is in down position . They say the lock would fail . Just how many techniques like this could exist and would it seriously effect your stlye with not being able to be used that way ? Is it worth modifing ?  Smiley

I figured out a custom fix with a Gerber like double lock . It would thicken the handle by 2 MMs . Grin

IP Logged

vaquero
Tiro

Reply #10 - Nov 19th, 2005 at 8:53am

I prefer fixed blades for that very reason. But my second choice would be liner locks. Where the handle of the weapon locks the blade into position and is much less likely to severe fingers.

IP Logged

Fritz_the_Cat

Eat Danish cheese

Detroit Michigan USA
Reply #11 - Nov 19th, 2005 at 10:59am

I saw a movie called "The Hunted" . The main character was a knife fighter for the military . I looked up the style used and it mentioned Kali . Is that simular to your style ? Did you see the movie ? Smiley

IP Logged

Matt_C
Funditor

Cruachan!!!

Cheshire, England
Reply #12 - Nov 20th, 2005 at 12:36pm

Sayoc is a great style for blade fighting. It has the most amazing template system and "tricks", plus tons of stuff for interesting manipulation.

I don't know if I like karambits, especially when they are held out with the ring, it just seems like such a weak grip.

I remember seeing a pair of knives which were like huge karambits, only held like tonfa with the sharp end pointed outwards. They were nice (like huge box cutting knives) but they looked sorta useless.

The last time I saw a rainbow I threw my beard over it

IP Logged

vaquero
Tiro

Reply #13 - Nov 20th, 2005 at 4:28pm

The knife scenes in "The Hunted" were choreographed by Tuhon Tom Kier and Tuhon Rafael Kayanan. I have been very fortunate to train with both. What I admire is that most of the students cross-train in other arts and no one verbally bashes other arts. The instructors and all the Tuhons are very down to earth people and very easily approachable if you need help or have questions. There are 36 vital templates for knives 2" and larger, tomahawks, kerambits and swords. The kerambits strengths are in stealth and speed of movement(palasuts, level changes and non-linear attacks).

IP Logged

Fritz_the_Cat

Eat Danish cheese

Detroit Michigan USA
Reply #14 - Nov 20th, 2005 at 8:01pm

Is a template like a kata ? I remember in the book I read something like "Jurus " were like "katas" Smiley

The word "kata" is of Japanese orgin , also used by Okinawans . A prearranged set of moves which also have applications . Sort of like a dictonary of moves so to speak  Cheesy

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Curious Aardvark, Chris, Mauro Fiorentini, Rat Man, Bill Skinner, Masiakasaurus, David Morningstar)