Home Help Search Login

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Stone atlatl (Read 2898 times)
Chaotic Rage

Vous etes saoul!

Stone atlatl
Nov 14th, 2005 at 4:03pm

Hey everyone. I was playing a computer game and they had guys launching rocks with a "forked stick." They put the stone into the y-shaped part and swung it. It sounds like a stone atlatl. Think it would work? I know there is a kind of bamboo stone thrower but I haven't had any luck with that. Instead of having a split where you wedge the stone in, this would be simpler and might be easier. I am going to make a couple- a single handed 3ft and a two handed 6ft one. You ladies and gents may want to try this, so have fun.  Smiley

&&
Roychipoqua  
IP Logged

slingbadger
Interfector Viris Spurii

Don't Badger a Badger

Akron NY
Re: Stone atlatl
Reply #1 - Nov 14th, 2005 at 5:22pm

this type of launcher has been around for a long time.
  Saxo Grammaticus, the Norse historian, mentions a skelpifletta, a type of weapon that consists of a large flat stone launched from a forked stick. No mention of how effective it is though. This was in the Battle of Bravellir in the 1200s.

The greatest of all the accomplishments of 20th cent. science has been the discovery of human ignorance  The main difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has it's limits.-Einstein   I'm getting psychic as I get older. Or is that psychotic?

IP Logged

MammotHunter
Interfector Viris Spurii

Give me a rock, a sling,
and give me some room

virginia, for now
Reply #2 - Nov 14th, 2005 at 6:33pm

I'm just wondering how you would keep the bloody stone from falling out of the stick as you throw it. It seems like the forces pushing against a chunk of rock between two sticks would make it fall out, eh?

Foolish is he who frets at night,&&And lies awake to worry'&&A weary man when morning comes,&&He finds all as bad as before&&-Excerpted from "The Havemal"
palaeoEvolution  
IP Logged

slingbadger
Interfector Viris Spurii

Don't Badger a Badger

Akron NY
Reply #3 - Nov 15th, 2005 at 9:26am

Don't know the answer to that. I suppose it depends on the size of the stone. What you could do is tightly wrap the bottom where the slit ends. This will help increase the pressure on the stone.
  Of course, the other option is just to use a lacrosse stick. Imafine the damage a large stone could do being launched from one of those.

The greatest of all the accomplishments of 20th cent. science has been the discovery of human ignorance  The main difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has it's limits.-Einstein   I'm getting psychic as I get older. Or is that psychotic?

IP Logged

MammotHunter
Interfector Viris Spurii

Give me a rock, a sling,
and give me some room

virginia, for now
Reply #4 - Nov 15th, 2005 at 11:24am

See, that's what I was thinking. Instead of just a forked stick, maybe if you had webbing between the tines of the stick you could launch a rock like a lacross ball. It would be a lot more effective, I would think, than lobbing a sharpened piece of slate or flint at a person and hoping the thing didn't fall out of the launcher halfway through delivery.

Foolish is he who frets at night,&&And lies awake to worry'&&A weary man when morning comes,&&He finds all as bad as before&&-Excerpted from "The Havemal"
palaeoEvolution  
IP Logged

britishslinger

slings the handheld arlilery

Reply #5 - Nov 15th, 2005 at 1:40pm

if you get a forked stick with the forks running parelell and sew some leather loosely between the prongs the stone would acelarate as it traveled the length of the fork

----=========

if you get the idea the short section is the handle

good for puck shaped stones can skim at ducks

listen to old people

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #6 - Nov 15th, 2005 at 2:38pm

or alternatively sharpen the stick, use it as a dart and throw the rock with your sling :-)

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

Chaotic Rage

Vous etes saoul!

Reply #7 - Nov 15th, 2005 at 7:54pm

Today I just made a 4 ft version. It can shoot any shape rocks, but the rock has to be bigger than the two sticks it is resting on. When I tried just the plain "Y version" the rock flew out, so I made one like this: --------======--   
It is the same except I tied the very end together. It works fine now.  Smiley The lacrosse type or the leather strap kinds would work great too.
Skelpifletta, I'm gonna google that!  Wink

&&
Roychipoqua  
IP Logged

chaosmage

I love Slinging.org!

Reply #8 - Dec 4th, 2005 at 12:33am

I hear Lacrosse balls hurt like holy hell.

Also, around here they have such a thing made out of plastic that fits a tennis ball. It allows you to throw it a great distance and give your dog a workout.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Chris, Mauro Fiorentini, Bill Skinner, Rat Man, David Morningstar, Curious Aardvark, Masiakasaurus)