Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
wrist action redundant (Read 4637 times)
Dale
Interfector Viris Spurii

California, USA
Re: wrist action redundant
Reply #15 - Nov 23rd, 2005 at 2:57pm

Knollslinger,

In honor of your return, I've been watching a few hammer-throw videos.  You say that your style is similar? I'm going to have to try that, but I am not going to try such a radical departure from the styles I am used to, with stones; I just don't have the room for rogues to fly safely.  Can your style be adapted to work with light projectiles such as tennis balls?

Slinging: there's always something new to learn!

No, I don't live in a glass house.&&&&"If builders built buildings the way programmers write programs, then the first woodpecker that came along would destroy civilization."&&&&Context matters!  "Nothing but net" is a BAD thing in tennis...
IP Logged

Wrenn
Tiro

I love Slinging.org!

Adelaide, Australia
Reply #16 - Nov 23rd, 2005 at 7:08pm

Quote:
Can your style be adapted to work with light projectiles such as tennis balls?

I was mucking around with a hammer-throw spinning style cast with tennis balls a few weeks ago. I found I was able to get great distance from it but terrible accuracy Wink I suspect it might be more efficient with heavier ammo though, with the tennis ball the spinning body movement wasnt really contributing as much force into the throw as would be possible with a heavier weight in the sling. With the hammer throws you can see they use their own body weight during the spin to counter balance the weight of the hammer, making for faster spins, thus faster projectile speed. A tennis ball weight cant really make this process work as well so most of the force comes from the muscles and speed of the rotation for the final whip.

With some more practice it might be a reasonable long distance method. It also would allow for longer slings than you might be able to handle with a vertical method.

I'm not working on long distance at the moment but when I do this was one of the methods on my list to experiment with.

IP Logged

magnumslinger
Descens

I don't sling a thing
if I ain't got my sling!

United Arab Emirates
Reply #17 - Nov 25th, 2005 at 7:37am

Dear Dale,

Thank you for the great update!  I couldn't have described the releases better myself, as I also use the same straight-arm, overhand release with the helecopter as for the bowing centerline, except, just as you said, there is no need for the bowing action to get the power.  I don't think the bowing centerline alone is designed for long distance slinging, but is better for hunting and defensive slinging at the closer ranges more common to those applications.  Have you tried either a figure eight, or a helecopter (or 45 degree semi-helecopter, semi-underhand) windup, combined with running (or hop, skip and jump), ending in a falling step, and bowing release(aimed upward at a 30-degree elevation angle from the horizon/level)?  I think that that is the way to get the most distance and power possible, if timed correctly.  You're developing your own style, and doing a great job, it souinds like!  If you keep experimenting, you'll be really surprised at how good you'll become with a variety of styles in different situations, I think!

Slinging.org people are progressive preservers of pre-historic protective, pantry-packing, and post-paleolithic parabellum practices...and they're also generally REALLY COOL!  Their bootlaces are their arsenal, and the world is their ammo dump!

IP Logged

magnumslinger
Descens

I don't sling a thing
if I ain't got my sling!

United Arab Emirates
Reply #18 - Nov 25th, 2005 at 7:44am

Dear Knollslinger,

It's always a pleasure to hear from you, but I join with Tint and Dale and everyone else in offering my support for you in whatever troubled times you find yourself in.  Please let us know how we can be of assistance,if that is possible. anyway, I wish you all the best!

Slinging.org people are progressive preservers of pre-historic protective, pantry-packing, and post-paleolithic parabellum practices...and they're also generally REALLY COOL!  Their bootlaces are their arsenal, and the world is their ammo dump!

IP Logged

Mike_R
Funditor

Reply #19 - Nov 26th, 2005 at 12:17pm

Knoll, good deal. I thought a slung stone might have nailed yer noggin.

IP Logged

KnollSlinger

The Davidson Road KnollSlinger

Chandler, Arizona, USA
Reply #20 - Aug 4th, 2020 at 3:34am

Dale wrote on Nov 23rd, 2005 at 2:57pm:
Knollslinger,

In honor of your return, I've been watching a few hammer-throw videos.  You say that your style is similar? I'm going to have to try that, but I am not going to try such a radical departure from the styles I am used to, with stones; I just don't have the room for rogues to fly safely.  Can your style be adapted to work with light projectiles such as tennis balls?

Slinging: there's always something new to learn!

Thankyou

I use machete, OTF, and Karambit these days.  Crowded neighborhood..

The Davidson Road KnollSlinger&&Who can beat me?

IP Logged

Kick
Forum Moderation

Finland
Reply #21 - Aug 4th, 2020 at 4:52am

Hate to break it to you KnollSlinger but you're replying to a post made in 2005.

You are a great guy Kick but also slightly scary at times. - Morphy
"Nothing matters, but it’s perhaps more comfortable to keep calm and not interfere with other people." - H.P. Lovecraft, in a letter to Frank Belknap Long, 7 October, 1923

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #22 - Aug 4th, 2020 at 2:38pm

Crazy looking at these posts from so long ago. I’m just waiting for TechStuff to pop up and respond to a random 15 year old thread.

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #23 - Aug 4th, 2020 at 2:49pm

what ever happened to Dale ?

He was one of those members who just vanished one day.

He used to make a copy of every new type and design of sling anyone on the forum came up with.
The bugger even made a copy of Matthias working compound sling.
But neither of the miserable gits would send me one Sad lol

(a wee bit of detective work later)

Hmm, well even though he last posted in 2009 - he was actually online in 2017. Also looks like he's got the same internet provider his original email was registered to.
So I think I'll drop him a line.

Why does 'placerville, california' ring a vague bell ? 
Ah - goldrush town, that's probably it.  

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

IronGoober
Interfector Viris Spurii

...and now, No. 1, the
larch...

California
Reply #24 - Aug 4th, 2020 at 8:36pm

Curious Aardvark wrote on Aug 4th, 2020 at 2:49pm:
Why does 'placerville, california' ring a vague bell ? 
Ah - goldrush town, that's probably it.  

Indeed, it is. I am not too far away from there, and there was another user who made aboriginal throw sticks that is near me as well (I think).

John R.

IP Logged

MitchInTheGlatrix
Tiro

A Philistine and an Israelite
walk into a pub...

Near Fulcrum of the Simulacrum
Reply #25 - Aug 4th, 2020 at 9:08pm

Morphy wrote on Aug 4th, 2020 at 2:38pm:
Crazy looking at these posts from so long ago. I’m just waiting for TechStuff to pop up and respond to a random 15 year old thread.

Yeah, me too.  Wonder where that rascal's been for what feels like to me, the blink of an eye...

Shocked

"The nation that separates it's scholars from it's warriors, will have it's thinking done by cowards and it's fighting done by fools." - Thucydides

IP Logged

Mersa
Interfector Viris Spurii

Druid

Australia
Reply #26 - Aug 5th, 2020 at 7:32pm

So many zombie threads being revived

Razor glandes, Aim for the eyes!!!

IP Logged

AncientCraftwork
Interfector Viris Spurii

-
Reply #27 - Aug 7th, 2020 at 5:00am

Great post
« Last Edit: May 16th, 2021 at 8:39am by AncientCraftwork »  

All Glory to God forever and ever, amen

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #28 - Aug 7th, 2020 at 8:45am

MitchInTheGlatrix wrote on Aug 4th, 2020 at 9:08pm:
Morphy wrote on Aug 4th, 2020 at 2:38pm:

Yeah, me too.  Wonder where that rascal's been for what feels like to me, the blink of an eye...

Shocked

It sure does feel like that. Where does the time go?  Wink

IP Logged

MitchInTheGlatrix
Tiro

A Philistine and an Israelite
walk into a pub...

Near Fulcrum of the Simulacrum
Reply #29 - Aug 7th, 2020 at 1:47pm

I thought I'd start fresh with a new user name.  It describes how I feel sometimes. lol

Wouldn't it be crazy if here, right here at this website, was where the next 'revolution' began?

Totally kidding.

Ok, maybe there's a chance....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yCFB2akLh4s

"The nation that separates it's scholars from it's warriors, will have it's thinking done by cowards and it's fighting done by fools." - Thucydides

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Chris, vetryan15, joe_meadmaker, Kick, Morphy, Curious Aardvark, Rat Man)