Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Lamination (Read 2728 times)
Castle7

I'm on fire today!!

GR, Michigan
Lamination
Nov 6th, 2005 at 11:01am

Ok, I must call on the expertise of someone!

I need to laminate three pieces of wood. But I don't know what adeshive to use.

Thanks

This info will be used to make an icesickle shooter.  Shocked

If I build it, they will run.&&-Mikeel&&&&

IP Logged

beaverbutt8
Ex Member

Re: Lamination
Reply #1 - Nov 6th, 2005 at 11:57am

try gorilla glue

IP Logged

Castle7

I'm on fire today!!

GR, Michigan
Reply #2 - Nov 6th, 2005 at 1:46pm

Thanks

Here is the design I am deriving my icesickle shooter from.
http://authors.history-forum.com/liang_jieming/chinesesiegewarfare/siegeweapons-...

IP Logged

Matthias
Past Moderator

Gatineau/Ottawa QC, Canada
Reply #3 - Nov 6th, 2005 at 2:21pm

You might find that you don't need (or even want) to laminate those if they are clamped securely at the bottom. A big leaf spring. Maybe try it without glue before final assembly?

Matthias

IP Logged

Stenny
Funditor

Don't laugh at me, I can
sling in every direction!

Reply #4 - Nov 6th, 2005 at 2:29pm

Mucilage. Not the kind that is used to glue papers together, but the one which is made from horns and such and used to secure joints on wooden furniture. I know there is a better word for it, but my dictionary call it mucilage. My friend have a compound bow with layers glued with mucilage and it can withstand abuse really well.

Slinger, martial artist, knife thrower, blowgunner and general weirdo since 1998.&&Proud owner of official Zombie hunting permit and scars to prove it's worth.&&Underestimating a fighter or a weapon is the surest way to make plastic surgeons happy.

IP Logged

Castle7

I'm on fire today!!

GR, Michigan
Reply #5 - Nov 6th, 2005 at 3:33pm

Quote:
You might find that you don't need (or even want) to laminate those if they are clamped securely at the bottom. A big leaf spring. Maybe try it without glue before final assembly?

Matthias

I already planned on trying without glue, but (1) I want to know just in case and experiment with it a little and (2) for future reference cause I would love to make a compound bow or something like it someday.

Thanks to you too stenny

IP Logged

Hellfire
Ex Member

Reply #6 - Nov 6th, 2005 at 3:42pm

"Mucilage" is actually hide glue. You don't make it with horns or anything, horn does not have any colagen

To make simple fairly cheap hide glue

Go to the grocery store and buy some packets of Knox Gelatin. Unflavored.

Heat up 1cup of water, add four packets of Knox, make sure the water is fairly hot. Just use that to glue your wood together, as long as the joint is clean it will hold extremely well.

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #7 - Nov 7th, 2005 at 6:59am

gorilla or polyurethane glue is pretty good for gluing anything to anything (and I do mean anything).
It has several advantages when laminatiing something that might be used outdoors.
1) it's water cured so moisture won't effect it except to make it stronger.
2) it's semi flexible when set
3) it's expands slightly so gets a really good grip on any imperfections in the wood.
4) cheap and easy to get.
5) sets to workability in about 10 minutes and will take fairly rough handling in under an hour.

Just looked at the model - very neat :-)

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

slingbadger
Interfector Viris Spurii

Don't Badger a Badger

Akron NY
Reply #8 - Nov 8th, 2005 at 11:46am

Hellfire, is that glue waterproof? I've never heard of it, but now I just gotta try it.
There is also an old glue recipe that uses old cheese and lime. That is really strong. Samples of wood that were glued with it in the middle ages have been found, with it still intact.

The greatest of all the accomplishments of 20th cent. science has been the discovery of human ignorance  The main difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has it's limits.-Einstein   I'm getting psychic as I get older. Or is that psychotic?

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #9 - Nov 9th, 2005 at 11:12am

funslinger that's basically super glue - which while very strong is also very brittle. Never use superglue if you want something to flex.

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Chris, Masiakasaurus, Rat Man, David Morningstar, Mauro Fiorentini, Curious Aardvark, Bill Skinner)