Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Arrow heads and simple cutting tools (Read 1467 times)
bigkahuna
past-moderator

Delaware, USA
Arrow heads and simple cutting tools
Nov 3rd, 2005 at 11:50pm

If you are into flint knapping but are low on supplies of good rock, I suggest trying broken glass from bottles. It can be knapped into very satisfactory arrowhead or knife point. Plenty around as well. Smiley

Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day. Teach a man to fish and he will sit in a boat and drink beer all day.
John Walker  
IP Logged

beaverbutt8
Ex Member

Re: Arrow heads and simple cutting tools
Reply #1 - Nov 4th, 2005 at 11:45am

Yeah, i tried that, since their's no flint around i picked up some broken glass and made it into a nice little arrow head.  Cheesy

IP Logged

Gun
Interfector Viris Spurii
Past Moderator

Slinging  Viking

The Ozarks of Ark & Mo
Reply #2 - Nov 5th, 2005 at 2:41pm

Old tv glass works too, or so i have heard.

"A Knifeless man is a lifeless man" Old Nordic Proverb

IP Logged

Chaotic Rage

Vous etes saoul!

Reply #3 - Nov 5th, 2005 at 5:59pm

Glass works great. It is so sharp I got cut and was bleeding but didn't even know it. It's also fun to hit granite cobbles from a stream into shape with a rock hammer. They seem to work best with axes, because an axehead should be tough, but it doesn't need to be razor-sharp.

&&
Roychipoqua  
IP Logged

MammotHunter
Interfector Viris Spurii

Give me a rock, a sling,
and give me some room

virginia, for now
Reply #4 - Nov 5th, 2005 at 6:17pm

Yeah, I got a cut on my finger from a spalled piece of obsidian the other day, and it didn't stop bleeding for several hours, even with a bandage and constant pressure. Of course, it didn't help that I accidentally pulled the incipient scab off the cut with the sticky part of the bandage, but that little bast**d was surprisingly sharp, even to me! Remember kids, don't be like Bleedin' Ole Jack, and wear Gloves! Can't stress this enough, SAFETY FIRST.

Foolish is he who frets at night,&&And lies awake to worry'&&A weary man when morning comes,&&He finds all as bad as before&&-Excerpted from "The Havemal"
palaeoEvolution  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Chris, Curious Aardvark, Bill Skinner, Mauro Fiorentini, David Morningstar, Rat Man, Masiakasaurus)