Home Help Search Login

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Stone Club attachment (Read 2448 times)
Chaotic Rage

Vous etes saoul!

Stone Club attachment
Nov 3rd, 2005 at 8:46pm

Well I was looking through the old army field guide, and then I wanted to make a stone club like the one they had with the wrapped-handle technique. http://www.aircav.com/survival/asch12/asch12p01.html
I have tried the first method of attachment and it wasn't secure, and the rock was too big. I couldn't get the rock to stay in the second either. So I tried the third way. It looks like it would work, and I have seen some Native American clubs like this, but I had a problem. When I was bending the wood, it snapped, even though I was using wood that was still green (maple precisely). Would there be a way to have it not break? Maybe soaking the wood for a couple of days before-hand, I need to start steaming the wood.   ???

&&
Roychipoqua  
IP Logged

ben_banned
Interfector Viris Spurii

Re: Stone Club attachment
Reply #1 - Nov 3rd, 2005 at 9:08pm

You have to slice with the grain maybe your slicing against it

zero tolerance=zero intelligence

IP Logged

hawk_chucker

I love Slinging.org!

Reply #2 - Nov 5th, 2005 at 6:28pm

Having spent time as a SERE instructor stationed in Maine, We explaine that the survival manual has MANY mistakes. (actually the one about the cactus spikes will kill ya) But the weapon you describe is best made by the lasst teqnique.

Slim down the branch for about 12 inches to securely lash,
Second Boil the P*** out of it. Just submerge it in a boiling pot and let it sit for 20 mins in it.
Third overlap the stone and start to lash around the handle at the lowest part of the overlap.

If you wet the paracord or leather and really torque the cortage(wrat the length around a stick and stand on the handle)_ It will come tight

When the cord dries it will tighten up more.

Where gloves and be safe.

PS if you go to a pet store the unflavored dog chews make great leather when soaked and unraveled. they shink almost 25%.

Maybee Ill whip up a club this week and post pics.

IP Logged

Chaotic Rage

Vous etes saoul!

Reply #3 - Nov 5th, 2005 at 8:07pm

Thanks! I tried it today without the boiling part and the maple sapling just snapped, but I will try that. The head I selected was a football (but no points) shaped granite stone smoothed from a stream. Is the groove on the stone necessary? I can see where it would help, but granite is hard stone. If I can't make a club head, I will just put in a stone axe head, and I'll post some pics in a couple of days.

&&
Roychipoqua  
IP Logged

hawk_chucker

I love Slinging.org!

Reply #4 - Nov 5th, 2005 at 8:27pm

Yup the groove is needed. It acts as a channell that the stick goes in. You just have to peck out the area with another stone. Orrrrrrr you can cheat alittle by using a angle grinder it goea through a lot easier, eats a way quick, but only takes a couple of minutes to make it.

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #5 - Nov 6th, 2005 at 8:37am

now that's a truly primitive club.
I assume it's working on the principle - if it works don't change it :-)

I suppose you could use two thinner saplings and bind the handle as well as the stone head.
Might be easier in the field if you don't have a pot big enough to 'boil the pi**' out of your sapling :-)
(I'm assuming you meant 'pith' lol)

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

Chaotic Rage

Vous etes saoul!

Reply #6 - Nov 6th, 2005 at 5:56pm

That sounds like it would work, and it would look good! It could be tight, but not compromise the wood strength by spliting. I'm thinking of the saplings spiraling (new word?) together, are you thinking what I am thinking?

&&
Roychipoqua  
IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #7 - Nov 10th, 2005 at 8:18am

You certainly could twist the branches together - but bear in mind that might weaken the whole rather than strengthen it.
Lashed together properly with lashing passing between the two pieces of wood as well as around them should give more than sufficient strength.

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Rat Man, Bill Skinner, Mauro Fiorentini, David Morningstar, Masiakasaurus, Chris, Curious Aardvark)