Send Topic Print
kata (Read 6274 times)
Matt_C
Funditor

Cruachan!!!

Cheshire, England
Re: kata
Reply #15 - Nov 5th, 2005 at 12:08pm

Okay, if you want to do a series of movements with kicks there are three factors to take into consideration:
FORCE of the kick, that amount of damage it is going to do.
TECHNIQUE of the kick, the way it is carried out.
and then the best SERIES of kicks to do in order to fluidly and smoothly constantly attack. You never want to give an opponent the chance to think or react, you just want to keep on laying kicks from all the angles you can think of.
Kick above waist height aren't that practical, you can easily get pushed off guard or taken to the ground, and anywhere but in a ring that is a VERY bad thing.

You have these two appendages attached to your shoulders, called fists. They can deliver 130 lbs of force easily after a little practice, and as long as you keep your profile/movements always at an angle to whatever it is you are striking, you are not letting any vital areas on your arms become easy targets.

The best way to train strikes is get a rather large striking shield and a friend. You can get a cheap one for maybe 30 dollars. These allow you to practice striking through someone, rather then just touching them. They also allow you to work on fluidity of strikes and emulate lots of different situations.

Kata are good for learning possible applications of movements, but you must have a way in which you can practice full force to give you an understanding of practical application.

The last time I saw a rainbow I threw my beard over it

IP Logged

Douglas_The_Black
Interfector Viris Spurii

Hakkaa päälle!

Salineville Ohio
Reply #16 - Nov 6th, 2005 at 10:48am

sometimes i will go out and do a kata with a stick useing the german longsword tech. that Hans Talhoffer showed us. I can hit pretty fast but its a diffrent story hitting something hard.

i live in a maze of typo's&&&& popularity is for dolls a hero cannot be popular-Ralph Waldo Emerson&&&&DTB-master of the corny vest, and crappy carpet!
randelflagg22002  
IP Logged

Stenny
Funditor

Don't laugh at me, I can
sling in every direction!

Reply #17 - Nov 12th, 2005 at 4:07pm

It has one advantage: breaking a stick hurts considerably less than breaking a knuckle Wink.
Good way to practice is to make a training dummy as shown at www.karateconnection.com and striking it. I made one and I thrown punching bag in a dumpster(not really). My dummy weights about 70 kilograms, has different stand made from water pipe and padding and respond similarly to normal person(oh yes, no one will respond to a kick in windpipe with a slight reel, but you know what I mean, don't you?). I can throw it backward completely with some kicks. Poor Andrei(I name him so), I kicked through his belly once, now he has carpet and duct tape body armor, which works fairly well. United colors of duct tape he is - about 130 meters of this stuff was used. He is also very good for training with baton and such, although you should not strike him with all your force before adding some more rigid carpet. If you want to build one, e-mail me.

Slinger, martial artist, knife thrower, blowgunner and general weirdo since 1998.&&Proud owner of official Zombie hunting permit and scars to prove it's worth.&&Underestimating a fighter or a weapon is the surest way to make plastic surgeons happy.

IP Logged

lobohunter
Interfector Viris Spurii

where be a rock and a
string there be a sling

Cottage Grove or
Reply #18 - Nov 12th, 2005 at 6:00pm

just A hair off topic. I just relized i have a sling Kata
I call it A warm up. But What i do Is go though my basic throws with outh sling then with out ammo. About ten times each before a practice session. This has deffintly improved my aim. and distance I also walk people though these warm ups when i teach my sling work shops.  So in a sense I have a sling kata. actuly I even have levels because there are a cpuple i dont show people until they learn how to sling

Albert Scott C bigbadwolf41 77940+hwy+99+south,+Spc+22  
IP Logged

bigkahuna
past-moderator

Delaware, USA
Reply #19 - Nov 12th, 2005 at 8:21pm

AH, the secret sling techniques of Master Lobohunter Grin

Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day. Teach a man to fish and he will sit in a boat and drink beer all day.
John Walker  
IP Logged

Douglas_The_Black
Interfector Viris Spurii

Hakkaa päälle!

Salineville Ohio
Reply #20 - Nov 13th, 2005 at 9:37am

hey i do that too Smiley

i live in a maze of typo's&&&& popularity is for dolls a hero cannot be popular-Ralph Waldo Emerson&&&&DTB-master of the corny vest, and crappy carpet!
randelflagg22002  
IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #21 - Nov 13th, 2005 at 10:19am

and why not - I do try new techniques with an empty sling.
Well it's a martial art so why not slinging katas :-)

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

lobohunter
Interfector Viris Spurii

where be a rock and a
string there be a sling

Cottage Grove or
Reply #22 - Nov 13th, 2005 at 10:50pm

bigkahuna thats funny
i have trained about two hund folks at the work shops i have done lol

Albert Scott C bigbadwolf41 77940+hwy+99+south,+Spc+22  
IP Logged

Tint
Interfector Viris Spurii
Past Moderator

Hong Kong
Reply #23 - Nov 14th, 2005 at 7:18am

Hey!  How about teaching us some of those Kata moves?

Sensei Lobo!

IP Logged

SofaGeorge

I sling tennis balls for
my dog.

Reply #24 - Nov 14th, 2005 at 5:32pm

Doug,

I've studied various martial arts for 30+ years.  Nowadays I primarily focus on western boxing, muay thai, and judo, but I've also studied many karate and kung fu systems.

Most serious fight comeptitors do not have much respect for kata.  Several high level judoka competitors have had to force themselves to study kata simply to get promoted to higher level rank... and they did not like having to do it.  Kata is deeply ingrained in many martial arts systems, but in having a practical training value in improving your skills as a fighter it is pretty much dismissed by MMA and NHB competitors.

Originally kata was part of many systems because it was believed that many techniques were too dangerous to practice in sparring... and many traditional systems DID NOT HAVE sparring.  Jigaro Kano made a break from jujitsu's traditional approach by developing judo around the concept of competion fighting and sparring training... and many times in the early years he demonstrated that his style of judo training was more effective for building combat fighters than the traditional kata training.

You aren't going to see karate and kung fu systems abandon kata any time soon.  You also aren't going to see it become a part of modern MMA training.  You simply need to ask yourself, though, what you want out of a martial art.  If you want to be a high level fight competitor... kata probably isn't for you.  

If the fast life kills you - you'll have no regret
IP Logged

Douglas_The_Black
Interfector Viris Spurii

Hakkaa päälle!

Salineville Ohio
Reply #25 - Nov 14th, 2005 at 9:24pm

haha  thanks every one but all i would like to know is if it would help me in any way. Like i say i just like the feel of kicking and if it helps thats great, if not well i still enjoy it  Smiley

randelflagg22002  
IP Logged

bigkahuna
past-moderator

Delaware, USA
Reply #26 - Nov 14th, 2005 at 9:40pm

Ah MasterLobo and his secret Death Sling Technique Grin Grin Grin Grin

Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day. Teach a man to fish and he will sit in a boat and drink beer all day.
John Walker  
IP Logged

Douglas_The_Black
Interfector Viris Spurii

Hakkaa päälle!

Salineville Ohio
Reply #27 - Nov 14th, 2005 at 9:53pm

i think the ammo is a little more fear induceing Grin

randelflagg22002  
IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #28 - Nov 16th, 2005 at 11:48am

sofa george - there's a form of judo that uses kata ?

How's that going to work - used to do judo as a kid and it's pretty much a hands on system no strikes, kicks (as such) etc. Not sure what you'd be practicing.
But it would certainly be interesting to see.

Yeah most of the modern televised fighting systems seem to concentrate on kick boxing and grappling systems. Not very pretty to look at :-) But probably practical I suppose.
I happen to like the art form of forms/katas.

As for kicking things douglas - yes it would help as you would end up kicking properly and not damaging your leg/foot by kicking badly.

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

Douglas_The_Black
Interfector Viris Spurii

Hakkaa päälle!

Salineville Ohio
Reply #29 - Nov 16th, 2005 at 7:07pm

some day i would like to kick a door down. i think it would mess up my knee but i would take the risk.

randelflagg22002  
IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Mauro Fiorentini, David Morningstar, Bill Skinner, Chris, Rat Man, Curious Aardvark, Masiakasaurus)