Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Difference? (Read 2090 times)
LKH9
Funditor

Malaysia
Difference?
Oct 19th, 2005 at 7:06am

What is the difference between primitive and ancient? ???

IP Logged

Dale
Interfector Viris Spurii

California, USA
Re: Difference?
Reply #1 - Oct 20th, 2005 at 4:10pm

"Primitive" denotes a low level of skill and/or a rudimentary technique.  It also implies that no one else has ever done what you are trying to do.  After all, "cave men" drew "primitive" figures on the walls of some caves; school children who do the same are called "beginners," because there are lots of artists these days.

And, as an aside, I'm not so sure about how "primitive" those cave artists were ... I have seen some modern Chinese work, it was a painting of a flock of birds, and all you could see was a landscape and a couple of strokes representing the body of a bird disappearing off the side of the picture.  The painting was skillfully done and truly gave the impression that the birds were moving ... because they were already gone!  Similarly, the cave artists reduced their work to just the essential lines that would look like a bounding deer, to someone who has seen a bounding deer.

OK, back to the question.  "Ancient" denotes a distance in time, from where you are.  "Ancient" could mean "older than a week" (describing bread), or "older than thirty" (describing a person, if you yourself are under twenty  Grin), or "happened before I was born," or "happened a thousand years ago," or even a longer span.

No, I don't live in a glass house.&&&&"If builders built buildings the way programmers write programs, then the first woodpecker that came along would destroy civilization."&&&&Context matters!  "Nothing but net" is a BAD thing in tennis...
IP Logged

Matthias
Past Moderator

Gatineau/Ottawa QC, Canada
Reply #2 - Oct 21st, 2005 at 1:56am

How much you want to bet you've been called "primitive" behind your back though? I know I have Grin
« Last Edit: Oct 22nd, 2005 at 12:58pm by Matthias »  

IP Logged

Willeke
Interfector Viris Spurii
Past Moderator

Give me some string and
I know what to do.

Netherlands
Reply #3 - Oct 22nd, 2005 at 12:40am

Most of us do not want to be called ancient either Grin

Willeke

"Never underestimate what a simple person can do with clever tools, nor what a clever person can do with simple tools." - Ian Fieggen - Writer of A booklet on lanyards, PM for info - Member IGKT, Netherlands
Bad spellers of the world: untie!
IP Logged

Matt_C
Funditor

Cruachan!!!

Cheshire, England
Reply #4 - Oct 28th, 2005 at 1:55pm

I'll be twenty in April, I am just waiting for my friends to drag me to the dog food/glue factory Sad.
I've never been called primitive, the fact I have an embarrassingly upper-class accent helps.

The last time I saw a rainbow I threw my beard over it

IP Logged

MammotHunter
Interfector Viris Spurii

Give me a rock, a sling,
and give me some room

virginia, for now
Reply #5 - Oct 28th, 2005 at 7:35pm

I'm a self proclaimed primitive. Hell, I'm proud of it, myself!

OOGAH BOOGAH!

Foolish is he who frets at night,&&And lies awake to worry'&&A weary man when morning comes,&&He finds all as bad as before&&-Excerpted from "The Havemal"
palaeoEvolution  
IP Logged

Ęthelbera
Interfector Viris Spurii

Resident Cavegirl

grieving- august 13th/09 :(
Reply #6 - Oct 29th, 2005 at 12:09pm

I like the fact that this post came up. I have had many "discussions" with people who believe themselves to be of some authority over me about the difference between them. A man once argued with me that Ice Age people and barbarian tribes were primitive, brutal and had no intelligence whatsoever, and that we were superior to them in every way. I simply told him that just because their customs were ancient, does not make them stupid or uncivilized....

What I think the difference is:
Primitive: Characterized by simplicity or crudity;primitive weapons.
(The dictionary said "unsophisticated" was part of it but I have opted that out)

Ancient: Old-fashioned; antiquated.
Having the qualities associated with age, wisdom, or long use; venerable. Of or relating to times long past...

Though there is a line to draw, modern primitivism:
  The style characteristic of a primitive artist.
1. A belief that it is best to live simply and in a natural environment.
2. A belief that the acquisitions of civilization are evil or that the earliest period of human history was the best.

This, I do not think is crude or filled with simplicity.

...&&Each all must his end abide. august 13th, rip Sad&&Varje man är sin egen konung.
WWW Ęthelbera  
IP Logged

LKH9
Funditor

Malaysia
Reply #7 - Oct 29th, 2005 at 12:47pm

What is in my mind is that primitive weapons are used by natives while ancient weapons includes all from siege engines to swords.
???
I want to know if there are any differences.

IP Logged

Willeke
Interfector Viris Spurii
Past Moderator

Give me some string and
I know what to do.

Netherlands
Reply #8 - Nov 2nd, 2005 at 1:49am

As far as I know the word ancient is used for things used in the ancient civilications, (Roman, Greek Egyptian and maybe Chinese and Japanese from that timespan too.)
Primitive is used for all peoples that do not use much technology, every where and every when. And for objects made with the technology available to those people regardless where or when it is made.

Next to Ancient we can also use words as stoneage, prehistoric, pre columbian,.....
And many more.

Opposite for primitive is modern, or thechno....

Willeke

"Never underestimate what a simple person can do with clever tools, nor what a clever person can do with simple tools." - Ian Fieggen - Writer of A booklet on lanyards, PM for info - Member IGKT, Netherlands
Bad spellers of the world: untie!
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Rat Man, Bill Skinner, Curious Aardvark, Masiakasaurus, Mauro Fiorentini, Chris, David Morningstar)