Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print
Re: Speed of projectiles (Read 12726 times)
Tumakas
Descens

I'm slinging in the rain!

Las Vegas, NV
Re: Speed of projectiles
Reply #30 - Nov 8th, 2005 at 12:02am

I would do the camera thing if I could get my shot within the same 180º of the target! Grin

But personally, I wouldn't place the camera right behind my target because it would be hard to spot exactly when the projectile left the pouch and when it hit the target and also due to the fact that it's headed straight at the camera. The only difference in movement that you'd be able to detect in that short amount of time is movement on the X and Y axises but not anything significant on the Z axis (to and from the camera). I think that a place directly to the left or right of the whole experiment would be more suitable but I guess we'll have to try and see.

redleadersb HypapinoyskadA  
IP Logged

lobohunter
Interfector Viris Spurii

where be a rock and a
string there be a sling

Cottage Grove or
Reply #31 - Nov 8th, 2005 at 1:11am

O.k we did the stop watch thing golf ball 75yds
i made ten tosses at the side of a brick wall with every thing I had I am glad it was a large building  because i almost missed a couple of times. I have not done the math but the average came out 1.34 seconds this was with a digital stop watch sorry about it being yards instead of meters but that was the tape I had.and measure may be of a bit. because it was only a 75 yd tape also a couple of times i beleave I threw before mark by maybe a foot
so take this for what you will and probaly a grain of salt lol

Albert Scott C bigbadwolf41 77940+hwy+99+south,+Spc+22  
IP Logged

Tumakas
Descens

Las Vegas, NV
Reply #32 - Nov 8th, 2005 at 2:45am

So... 168fps? I think that's right, correct me if I'm wrong. Does that seem like a reasonable speed?

(168 feet per second * 60 seconds)60 minutes= 604,800 feet per hour

604,800 feet per hour / 5,280 feet per mile = 114 mph

168 fps = 114 mph = 183 kph = 50.8 m/s

I think that's right...

IP Logged

Erin

Reply #33 - Jan 6th, 2006 at 12:44pm

Hello,

After reading this thread on measuring velocity, I have to suggest an easier/better way. A shooting chronograph has two light gates and measures an objects velocity with extreme accuracy. Here is a link, http://www.eabco.com/chronyshooting.htm.

All you have to do is cut a 10 inch diameter hole in a piece of plywood, then mount the chronograph on the backside so it will be protected from the throw. Then hope your accurate enough to throw through the hole.
The closer you are to the chronograph the more it will reflect the true max velocity, and the easier it will be to hit your target.

-erin

IP Logged

lobohunter
Interfector Viris Spurii

where be a rock and a
string there be a sling

Cottage Grove or
Reply #34 - Jan 6th, 2006 at 1:57pm

hmm good idea
just not worth the money for me to no lol

Albert Scott C bigbadwolf41 77940+hwy+99+south,+Spc+22  
IP Logged

ChuckRocks

Leverage Artillery Design
Engineer

The Florida Outback, USA
Reply #35 - Jan 17th, 2006 at 7:18pm

Time for me to chime in.

We could reverse engineer the speed of any projectile if we have given factors such as mass of the projectile, the angle at which it was thrown (trajectory) and the distance it flew until it hit the ground.
R = MxV@T: Range equals Mass times Velocity at trajectory.

For instance, a ten pound round projectile needs to fly at just over 120 MPH to reach 1,000 feet.
(Am I the only one here who hurls pumpkins?)

If you really want to find out the velocity of your projectile, I suggest asking for help from a local math or science teacher.  Roll Eyes

If I read what was stated correctly, then 117 MPH for a lead sinker or a golf ball is not unreasonable but fairly good.

Physics rule: a short sling swings faster than a long one.

My rules:
Accuracy beats speed.
Range requires speed and mass.
Hitting your target at any range, priceless.

(AKA Walker / Visit my Facebook page: at http://www.facebook.com/pages/SiegeMasters/168138883205859 )
IP Logged

CanDo
Interfector Viris Spurii
Past Moderator

New England, USA
Reply #36 - Jan 17th, 2006 at 7:29pm

i'm no expert and you sound like you know what you're talking about, but are you sure the equation accounts for air? a lot of equations only work in vacuums  ???

IP Logged

Tumakas
Descens

Las Vegas, NV
Reply #37 - Jan 17th, 2006 at 7:31pm

Can pounds be substituted for grams and feet for meters? And say that we used your example:

1000 ft.=10 lbs.*120 mph @ T

What's the "@ T" used for? Can you do a sample problem, this is interesting and I want to learn how to do this.

IP Logged

ArizonaSlinger

I love Slinging.org!

Reply #38 - Feb 1st, 2007 at 4:08pm

Has anyone measured their shooting velocity accurately?

ArizonaSlinger

IP Logged

ArizonaSlinger

I love Slinging.org!

Reply #39 - Feb 1st, 2007 at 4:12pm

The plywood won't protect the chronograph.  I've seen a rock go through two pieces of 5/8 inch plywood.

Quote:
Hello,

After reading this thread on measuring velocity, I have to suggest an easier/better way. A shooting chronograph has two light gates and measures an objects velocity with extreme accuracy. Here is a link, http://www.eabco.com/chronyshooting.htm.

All you have to do is cut a 10 inch diameter hole in a piece of plywood, then mount the chronograph on the backside so it will be protected from the throw. Then hope your accurate enough to throw through the hole.
The closer you are to the chronograph the more it will reflect the true max velocity, and the easier it will be to hit your target.

-erin

IP Logged

LKH9
Funditor

Malaysia
Reply #40 - Feb 2nd, 2007 at 1:06am

I always want to know what is the highest speed achievable with a sling in feet-per-second.....(my maths is poor) I'm more familiar with fps.

The best speed a rubber-powered slingshot can achieve is 300fps. I just want to compare this to the sling with heavier projectile. Tongue Sorry if this is out of topic. Roll Eyes

IP Logged

Matthias
Past Moderator

Gatineau/Ottawa QC, Canada
Reply #41 - Feb 2nd, 2007 at 1:46am

ish? 200 fps, but keep in mind that the projectile is much heavier...

IP Logged

LKH9
Funditor

Malaysia
Reply #42 - Feb 2nd, 2007 at 2:02am

Only 200fps with much heavier projectile?? Huh Shocked Then, how could this reach distance of more than 200 metres? Huh I expect more than 500 fps! Roll Eyes

IP Logged

Tint
Interfector Viris Spurii
Past Moderator

Hong Kong
Reply #43 - Feb 4th, 2007 at 7:09am

What's that in mph or kmph?

I think I can do up to 150 mph and bigger stronger guys can do much better than me. Huh

IP Logged

LKH9
Funditor

Malaysia
Reply #44 - Feb 4th, 2007 at 7:54am

I think 200 fps is pretty slow, even a compound crossbow can shoot more than 300fps and a sling shot from a skillful hand should beat that..... If it's only 200 fps, then how could the shots from the ancient romans go through flesh??  Shocked

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: joe_meadmaker, Curious Aardvark, Morphy, Kick, vetryan15, Chris, Rat Man)