Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 2 3 4
Send Topic Print
Re: Speed of projectiles (Read 12727 times)
Wrenn
Tiro

I love Slinging.org!

Adelaide, Australia
Re: Speed of projectiles
Oct 18th, 2005 at 7:38am

In the clocked speeds thread Yurek analyzed one of his videos and got a figure of 167fps which is ~200km/h. It wasnt extremely precise but seems reasonable.

I think someone has tested with better high speed camera equipment but I dont remember the results.

Been raining here for the last few days so havent been able to go out slinging ;-(

IP Logged

Chaotic Rage

Vous etes saoul!

Reply #1 - Oct 18th, 2005 at 6:44pm

I was reading on another website that slung stones can usually go about 90 mph, as fast as a major league baseball pitch. This is confusing though. I thought slung stones would go much faster than a thrown baseball because they are heavy enough to gain momentum, small and aerodynamic, and have the obvious (i don't like the word obvious  Undecided but) physical advantage. Any reasons for this?

&&
Roychipoqua  
IP Logged

Castle7

I'm on fire today!!

GR, Michigan
Reply #2 - Oct 18th, 2005 at 6:46pm

Sorry I can't help you cratercaster.

I am wondering how would I measure the speed of my rock?

If I build it, they will run.&&-Mikeel&&&&

IP Logged

Dale
Interfector Viris Spurii

California, USA
Reply #3 - Oct 18th, 2005 at 8:51pm

Quick answer: The folks that say a slung stone can go no faster than 60 miles/hour (or 90, or whatever) read that figure somewhere, and didn't think about it.

The sling has a significant mechanical advantage over a bare arm: if a baseball pitcher can zing one over the plate at 90, a slinger should be able to do better.  Much better.

This is borne out by Thomas, who has claimed over 500 feet distance slinging a baseball (farther than any recorded home run hit that I know of ... any baseball fanatics out there?  Give me some REAL figures).

I tend to believe a higher estimate that I have read, of around 200 miles/hour for a slung stone.  I can't do the math right now, but the Guinness world record for a slung stone is 1,434 feet.  What velocity would be needed to reach that distance, in air? Assume a launch angle of 30 degrees above horizontal.

No, I don't live in a glass house.&&&&"If builders built buildings the way programmers write programs, then the first woodpecker that came along would destroy civilization."&&&&Context matters!  "Nothing but net" is a BAD thing in tennis...
IP Logged

Wrenn
Tiro

I love Slinging.org!

Adelaide, Australia
Reply #4 - Oct 18th, 2005 at 10:12pm

There is some interesting information on the following page, http://www.baseball-almanac.com/feats/art_hr.shtml

I think 502 feet is the longest homerun hit they talk about. I dont know much about baseball but I would assume you can hit one a lot further than you can throw one.

A few sites I looked at suggested a hit ball can travel up to 160mph but they were just approximations. The world record pitch was listed at 100.9 mph.

I didnt look much at golf stats but the longest drive I could find was ~626m and the highest speeds quoted were ~200mph for Tiger Woods.

IP Logged

Stein Vegard
Descens

The n00b...

In the south of sweet, Norway
Reply #5 - Oct 31st, 2005 at 10:35am

Me and gard have analyzed one of Yurek's projectiles to 120 km/h. On the home site of slinging.org it stands that the slingers are availebale to get the stone up to 400km/h???? how could that happen?? ???
« Last Edit: Nov 8th, 2005 at 10:46am by Stein Vegard »  

Read your Bible....
Stein Vegard Stein Vegard  
IP Logged

Tumakas
Descens

I'm slinging in the rain!

Las Vegas, NV
Reply #6 - Oct 31st, 2005 at 11:06am

Well, I'm thinking that if you're good you could have a large plywood board as a target around 10m away or any other interval of ten [it's just easier and I'm lazy] then have someone [who knows exactly when the projectile is released] use a stopwatch and time how long it takes to leave the sling and hit the target. Then you could just do the math from there ie:

30m/2sec=15m/sec

I think that you would need a person on the stop watch who has really fast reaction time and some quick fingers...

redleadersb HypapinoyskadA  
IP Logged

Chris
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Rocks!

USA
Reply #7 - Oct 31st, 2005 at 1:05pm

I believe TechStuf has recorded speeds upwards of 200 - 250 mph. He was using ball bearings and a special sling with a trigger release.

The 400 kph claim on the front page is my estimation of the sling's upper velocity limit. 

Larry Bray though he might have been able to surpass the 2000 ft mark with lead projectiles.  That would require some pretty significant "muzzle" velocity. 

Chris

IP Logged

Matthias
Past Moderator

Gatineau/Ottawa QC, Canada
Reply #8 - Oct 31st, 2005 at 1:47pm

Quote:
me and gard have analyzed one of yurek's projectiles to 120 km/h. On the home site of slinging.org it stands that the slingers are availebale to get the stone up to 400km/h???? how could that happen?? ???

How did you do the analysis? That number seems _very_ low: 33 m/s. My estimates for average slinger speed based on confirmed ranges that members have posted are usually in the 45 to 60 range, with exceptional slingers going much higher. Once you break 60, it seems like you are "over the hump" to opening up truly long distance cast based on the aerodynamics of the projectile.

Fast reaction times and lucky! We're talking about flight time of less than a 1/4 of a second over 10m. I haven't had a chance to try out the "blowgun soundcard chrony" we talked about in another thread yet, but I bet those numbers would at least be a little more repeatable Wink

Matthias

IP Logged

Matthias
Past Moderator

Gatineau/Ottawa QC, Canada
Good tip.
Reply #9 - Oct 31st, 2005 at 1:50pm

We all use different units on this board, depending on where we're from and our experience/education/jobs. A very useful tool for quick conversion of units is to type the desired conversion into google.

Example: "60m/s in mph" returns "60 (meters / second) = 134.216178 mph"

Much handier than loading up a java calculator every time.

Matthias

IP Logged

Yahweh Bless you in Yeshua
Interfector Viris Spurii

Matthew 11:25-30

Reply #10 - Oct 31st, 2005 at 8:47pm

That's it.....I may just have to finally get off my increasingly fat @$$ and put this baby to bed once and for all.   So much for hoping an inspired young pup would grab the torch from my fatigued, burnt out hand.  Perhaps I should not have waved it so vigorously and then hung on so tight.....

At any rate,  I will endeavor to post some video by week's end.

Peace,

TS
« Last Edit: Nov 1st, 2005 at 1:20am by Yahweh Bless you in Yeshua »  

Blessings in Yeshua!&&

IP Logged

Tint
Interfector Viris Spurii
Past Moderator

Hong Kong
Reply #11 - Oct 31st, 2005 at 11:56pm

Alright, Techstuff!!!  Don't break the sound barrier!

Stein Vegard,

How did you and gard figure out the 120 km/h on yurek's shot?  That's really slow!  Did you mean 120 miles/hour?  Even that would be slow for a sling projectile.

IP Logged

Wrenn
Tiro

I love Slinging.org!

Adelaide, Australia
Reply #12 - Nov 1st, 2005 at 12:29am

There was a thread recently, I think the one where Yurek posted his video hitting the tyre, where some people analyzed the video by calculating the distance of the shot and working out the time expired from examining the movie frame by frame and knowing the fps of the video.

I dont think it was a full powered shot if its the video I'm thinking of.

IP Logged

Gard

Yup, there are slingers
in Norway too!

Norway
Reply #13 - Nov 1st, 2005 at 9:16am

Tint, I believed I'd heard somewhere that the distance was 20 metres, so if that's wrong...
The stone uses 0,57 second from release to when it hits the white thing.
20 meters divided on 0,57= 35,0877193 meters/second =126,315789 km/h
But, as I said, I'm not sure the distance is right.

Gard
« Last Edit: Nov 2nd, 2005 at 4:17pm by Gard »  

You never know what you might get to need, before you need it.

IP Logged

Tint
Interfector Viris Spurii
Past Moderator

Hong Kong
Reply #14 - Nov 1st, 2005 at 7:52pm

Gard,

Thanks! 

You mean 20meters / 0.57 seconds = 35.08 meters/second

which is

35.08 x 3600 = 126.3 km/hour

Make perfect sense there. 8)

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: vetryan15, Curious Aardvark, Morphy, Chris, Kick, Rat Man, joe_meadmaker)