SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Palestinian Slings (Read 5304 times)
Makavelli

Palestinian Slings
Oct 7th, 2005 at 3:36pm

PalestinianS Strong Arm Isreali Defense Forces with sling shots.
REAL MEN !

IP Logged

ben_banned
Interfector Viris Spurii

Re: Palestinian Slings
Reply #1 - Oct 7th, 2005 at 9:05pm

thats for cearin up the men part i wasnt sure

zero tolerance=zero intelligence

IP Logged

Tint
Interfector Viris Spurii
Past Moderator

Hong Kong
Reply #2 - Oct 8th, 2005 at 12:57am

We have pictures of that in the gallery.  I wonder how effective they are?

IP Logged

Chris
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Rocks!

USA
Reply #3 - Oct 8th, 2005 at 2:17pm

For people that are interested, there is a section dedicated to images of sling use in the palestinian conflict. 

http://www.slinging.org/mediacorbisgallery.html

However, I do urge restraint from posters commenting politically on the issue, as it is a very controversial topic.  This is a forum about slings...

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #4 - Oct 8th, 2005 at 2:23pm

Well politics aside I feel sorry for the israelis. I don't think the world media realise just how nasty those missiles would be.

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

Leeds_Lobber

Reply #5 - Oct 8th, 2005 at 5:47pm

Regardless of Politics, I don't think anyone can dispute their courage, and I have a sneaking desire to meet them and get some tips.....

I have noticed that they almost all use a side-arm rather than vertical technique. Its a good thing they are not members, or Yurek might be getting an angry 'phone call from Mossad!

Pat

IP Logged

Zwiebeltuete
Descens

Fly! Angel, fly!

Germany, near Nuremberg
Reply #6 - Oct 8th, 2005 at 7:25pm

They seem to be using very long slings. There is vertical rotation probably not possible.

Slinging since 2005-09-24.
IP Logged

mgreenfield
Funditor

Milwaukee Wisconsin
Reply #7 - Nov 17th, 2005 at 2:07pm

The Palestinian slingsters are probably one of the last sizeable groups practicing the craft as a martial art.  We can expect that with their "practice opportunities" and group interaction, they've developed some optimal sling designs and techniques.

I do note a variety of grips, however.   Also a variety of lengths, though they do seem to go for the long ones.

Anybody have any movies showing technique in detail??

IP Logged

bigkahuna
past-moderator

Delaware, USA
Reply #8 - Nov 17th, 2005 at 7:43pm

Hi gang. I don't know if any one has relatives serving overseas, but perhaps we could ask them to keep their eyes open for local made slings when they are not dodgeing bullets or boobytraps. Any Israelis out there can have the IDF turn over all confiscated slings to us for safe keeping if they feel so inclined Wink

Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day. Teach a man to fish and he will sit in a boat and drink beer all day.
John Walker  
IP Logged

mgreenfield
Funditor

Milwaukee Wisconsin
Reply #9 - Nov 21st, 2005 at 3:20pm

Just spent a lot of time looking at these pix.  Based on this, I'd expect to see most of them start the "spin-up" with an underhand release, do a turn or two in an overhead circle, but with its plane tipped about 45deg, then launch with a strong sidearm motion that leaves the sling hand near the opposite-arm shoulder.  Perhaps they include some torso twist and extension to add power.  Also, forward running hops for same.

What do others here think.   SURE!!! would like to see some movie film footage!!  Like 'em or not, these are today's sling pros.

IP Logged

Gard

Yup, there are slingers
in Norway too!

Norway
Reply #10 - Nov 21st, 2005 at 3:46pm

This movie with Yurek is the closest, but the Palestianinan slingers have the sling higher up on their left side, and lower on their right side.
http://www.kajakowe.com.pl/sling/hit1.avi
It seems that it varies between hurling the sling quite horisontal, to 45 degrees.
Yeah, does anyone have videoes of Palestinian slingers? Wow, that would've been cool!

Gard

You never know what you might get to need, before you need it.

IP Logged

magnumslinger
Descens

I don't sling a thing
if I ain't got my sling!

United Arab Emirates
Reply #11 - Nov 22nd, 2005 at 1:33am

I think that the problem may be one of history repeating itself.  The first famous Philistine/Palestinian Goliath/Galoot took a spear to a sling fight, whereas his modern counterparts take slings to tank fights, and to me it's a little like taking a knife to a gunfight.

To the credit of good people on BOTH sides of that unfortunate conflict, the REAL gains of the Palestinian people have been achieved through peaceful means, much as Native Americans win FAR more battles in the courts than by violence.  Cooler heads are slowly prevailing in winning the support of good people everywhere to reject violence in favour of appeals to universal human values, and nonviolent resistance.

I'm all for using the sling for sport, self-protection, etc., but obviously would never use it to give enemy troops an excuse to bring deadly force down on my position, or try to make a political point.  That's what the "Rodney cam" is for! (Can't we all just get along?) Wink.

Slinging.org people are progressive preservers of pre-historic protective, pantry-packing, and post-paleolithic parabellum practices...and they're also generally REALLY COOL!  Their bootlaces are their arsenal, and the world is their ammo dump!

IP Logged

mgreenfield
Funditor

Milwaukee Wisconsin
Reply #12 - Nov 22nd, 2005 at 2:04pm

This is from sv.  I'm betting it's close to what we'd see in the video of a Palestinian shot.  Maybe a different start, and maybe an extra turn among the Palestinians, but close.   Maybe not as accurate as the figure8 overhand, but several more opportunities for adding power with this style:  1/ More arm extension for a longer time in the throw.  2/ More of the body contributing motion/power.  I'm pretty sure our distance-slinging friend in Poland uses a style near this, too.

http://www.slinging.org/movies/badger/MVI_0903.MOV
http://www.slinging.org/movies/badger/MVI_0903.AVI

IP Logged

SofaGeorge

I sling tennis balls for
my dog.

Reply #13 - Nov 22nd, 2005 at 5:08pm

If it isn't an mpeg I can't view it.   Cry

If the fast life kills you - you'll have no regret
IP Logged

mgreenfield
Funditor

Milwaukee Wisconsin
Reply #14 - Nov 23rd, 2005 at 9:23pm

I read someplace recently (not on this forum) a report that mentioned a US Border Patrol Officer had been hit by a rock from across the border.  It mentioned that the rock had been launched from a "crude catapult".   I went back to where I thought I'd seen the report, but can't find it again.

You don't suppose........

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Kick, joe_meadmaker, Rat Man, Morphy, vetryan15, Chris, Curious Aardvark)