Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Outline Question (Read 2531 times)
slingerkid

Job 39-42

Taranaki, New Zealand
Outline Question
Oct 5th, 2005 at 8:36pm

Just a question - In outline #2, the main focus is on the history of the sling. That is fine, but i feel you are neglecting another major point - slings today.
As far as I know, there is no chapter on weilding a sling/ making a sling/ making ammo. Shouldn't that also be a major part?

I look forward to hearing (seeing?) your thoughts on this subject - feel free to correct me.

The Earth moved, and the object hit the universe, as a chair, hitting the object. The crowd leaves to avoid itself. You are of the dream you once had tomorrow. Let go of the hand that holds itself, and it will let go of yourself.
IP Logged

slingbadger
Interfector Viris Spurii

Don't Badger a Badger

Akron NY
Re: Outline Question
Reply #1 - Oct 6th, 2005 at 12:03pm

Each area should cover a seperate theme about the sling.  The use of slings today is part of the history, but should be treated as a different subject. Thats the way it was explained to me when I wrote my research paper on the sling. The lady that helped me  works in the library sciences at Cornell University, so I have little reason to doubt her.

The greatest of all the accomplishments of 20th cent. science has been the discovery of human ignorance  The main difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has it's limits.-Einstein   I'm getting psychic as I get older. Or is that psychotic?

IP Logged

Smudge

Sticks and stones WILL
brake your bones.

everywhere
Reply #2 - Oct 6th, 2005 at 6:14pm

Lets face it, even though this website is a great place for us slingers to put our thoughts, the sling has been mostly forgotten.  I'm afraid the sling as it is today would be a rather dull topic, since it is no longer what wins battles and topples armies.

IP Logged

Douglas_The_Black
Interfector Viris Spurii

Hakkaa päälle!

Salineville Ohio
Reply #3 - Oct 6th, 2005 at 7:52pm

well nether does a sword but if you write a book on swordsmanship it will sell to a set of people. I think the same is with the sling.

i live in a maze of typo's&&&& popularity is for dolls a hero cannot be popular-Ralph Waldo Emerson&&&&DTB-master of the corny vest, and crappy carpet!
randelflagg22002  
IP Logged

Smudge

Sticks and stones WILL
brake your bones.

everywhere
Reply #4 - Oct 7th, 2005 at 4:09pm

Swords went totally out of use in battle in the 1800's and are still used for ceremonial purposes, the sling hasn't seen the front line since the Roman times.

IP Logged

Gun
Interfector Viris Spurii
Past Moderator

Slinging  Viking

The Ozarks of Ark & Mo
Reply #5 - Oct 7th, 2005 at 8:53pm

don't forget the middle east. People still do use them there for time to time.

"A Knifeless man is a lifeless man" Old Nordic Proverb

IP Logged

slingerkid

Job 39-42

Taranaki, New Zealand
Reply #6 - Oct 9th, 2005 at 2:32am

OK, I don't think my ideas came across clear enough.
I don't want a section on how the sling is used in warfare today, I would like to suggest a section on how to make a sling etc. Like what we have in the 'articles and guides' section of this site (except way more prefessional!).
The type of stuff a slinger wannabe would like to know. Not how the sling is used today, but how to use the sling.
Sure, the history of the sling is awsome, but if we want to comply a book of all the known information on the sling, then we need a how-to section

I hope that got my idea across without sounding to much like a lecture Smiley

Thanks, slingerK

The Earth moved, and the object hit the universe, as a chair, hitting the object. The crowd leaves to avoid itself. You are of the dream you once had tomorrow. Let go of the hand that holds itself, and it will let go of yourself.
IP Logged

bigkahuna
past-moderator

Delaware, USA
Reply #7 - Nov 19th, 2005 at 11:16pm

They were using slings in the Spanish Civil War to toss grenades.

Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day. Teach a man to fish and he will sit in a boat and drink beer all day.
John Walker  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Chris, David Morningstar, Masiakasaurus, Rat Man, Mauro Fiorentini, Bill Skinner, Curious Aardvark)