Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Slings as Belts (Read 3899 times)
Maillemann
Tiro

Slings as Belts
Sep 30th, 2005 at 9:54am

I have seen now numerous comments about slings being worn around the waist as "belts" - often jokingly here on the forums. Is there much historical documentation for this? Cervantes refers to shepherds "ungirding" their slings, and Strabo also mentions slingers "girdled with a rush-rope... of black-tufted rush, I say, or of hair or of sinews..."

So, clearly it was done, but how were they secured? Were the ends simply tied together? Or to something else? Does anyone here go about with a sling as a belt? I could see it being a great opportunity to show off some braiding, but to make it a practical belt would probably make it an impractical sling.

IP Logged

Willeke
Interfector Viris Spurii
Past Moderator

Give me some string and
I know what to do.

Netherlands
Re: Slings as Belts
Reply #1 - Sep 30th, 2005 at 12:17pm

You have not been the only one wondering, Johnny has made a picture showing his opinion of it. (You can find more of his drawings by going to members, (by letter) select Johnny and see all posts.)

Willeke

Quote:
Here is a color sketch I rendered in Photoshop of a Balearic slinger around the 3rd-2nd century BC. He has three different length slings, one tied around the waist, another around the head. His leather shepherds bag is loaded with stones weighing about 1 pound each. Hope you folks like it!
Johnny

"Never underestimate what a simple person can do with clever tools, nor what a clever person can do with simple tools." - Ian Fieggen - Writer of A booklet on lanyards, PM for info - Member IGKT, Netherlands
Bad spellers of the world: untie!
IP Logged

Willeke
Interfector Viris Spurii
Past Moderator

Give me some string and
I know what to do.

Netherlands
Reply #2 - Sep 30th, 2005 at 12:25pm

On second thoughts, if you make a sling long enough to go round your middle, just pull the end through the loop and tie of with a slipped half hitch, (that is just pull a loop through and not the whole end so that when you pull on the end it will come undone.)
If your sling is long enough to go round your middle twice, fold it, wrap it round yourself, pull one end through the pouch and tie as above. If you use a big release knot you may not even have to tie the end, it can work as a toggle with the retention loop.
Or fold it besides the pouch and tie the ends on the loop. Many posebilities.

Almost any female friend can help you to find a style which will stay and show of well. Cheesy
Willeke

"Never underestimate what a simple person can do with clever tools, nor what a clever person can do with simple tools." - Ian Fieggen - Writer of A booklet on lanyards, PM for info - Member IGKT, Netherlands
IP Logged

Zwiebeltuete
Descens

Fly! Angel, fly!

Germany, near Nuremberg
Reply #3 - Sep 30th, 2005 at 1:39pm

Quote:
You have not been the only one wondering, Johnny has made a picture showing his opinion of it.

I have to say his drawing looks very realistic. There is also I think a historic image which shows a slinger with shield in his left hand and stones hin his cape.  I really can't imagine a slinger like that. That measly shield doesn't protect much while it makes his left hand useless for loading. And with the stones lying in his cape ... if he does one false movement they are lying on the ground. Johnny's proposal looks usable. That is exactly what I would imagine too. And he is very good at drawing too. (which I am not)

Regarding the sling as belt: I don't think there is the single solution for this question. Each had probably his preference and style and this is probably not different than what we would do today if we are given a sling and told to use it as a belt.

Slinging since 2005-09-24.
IP Logged

Maillemann
Tiro

Reply #4 - Sep 30th, 2005 at 2:04pm

I must say, Johnny is quite an artist. That piece is certainly exceptional - I thought it had come from an Osprey book, but then, perhaps he has contributed to them? If not, he probably should!

I hadn't considered the tying methods mentioned here, so thank you. I suppose they didn't seem obvious because my sling isn't nearly long enough to tie that way, only to overlap slightly around my waist. And no, I don't have a large waist, just a short sling...

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #5 - Sep 30th, 2005 at 2:18pm

keeping a sling round your waist does not neccessarily mean you are using it to hold your trousers up. But in an era without pockets tying it round your waist makes sense. Also easily to hand and out of the way at one and the same time.

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

Willeke
Interfector Viris Spurii
Past Moderator

Give me some string and
I know what to do.

Netherlands
Reply #6 - Sep 30th, 2005 at 2:20pm

The sling I use most is only fingertop to elbow (folded), so I do understand the problem. (No, I am not a wasp waist, never have been, never will be, thanks to chocolate.)

If you use a middle size sling, wear it as necklace, as the sling this slinger holds in his hand would be worn. If you use wool you can even pretend it is a shawl.

Willeke

IP Logged

Smudge

Sticks and stones WILL
brake your bones.

everywhere
Reply #7 - Sep 30th, 2005 at 4:25pm

How about a braided sling where the finger loop is the belt buckle and the release cord is flat?  You could even put a pocket on the outside of the pouch to use for holding a folding knife.  8)

IP Logged

MammotHunter
Interfector Viris Spurii

Give me a rock, a sling,
and give me some room

virginia, for now
Reply #8 - Oct 1st, 2005 at 12:12am

I actually made some of my braided slings to look like very decorative or plain belts, and I've even slipped them around my waist and as an experiment, wore one at work as a belt, under my shirt but around my waist with a large pair of pants, and they stayed up, no problems.  I simply tuck the retention knot through the finger loop, tuck the hanging end into a pocket or slip through some belt loops and voila! It's a belt, a sash across my chest, or, wrapped multiple times, a head or armband. Though I have a large waist, all of my slings are at least 4 feet long, which is more than ample to fit around my waist with cord to spare. Mostly though, I wear them across my chest, and all  I have to do to deploy it is whip it off my chest, put my fingers in the loop, grab the knot, load and fire.

Foolish is he who frets at night,&&And lies awake to worry'&&A weary man when morning comes,&&He finds all as bad as before&&-Excerpted from "The Havemal"
palaeoEvolution  
IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #9 - Oct 1st, 2005 at 2:15pm

I take my belt off my jeans fall down and my utility pouches fall on the floor.
So you're going to need two slings :-) One to use and one to hold your trousers up :-)

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

Mithras

Slinging beach pebbles
off the Yorkshire coast

East Yorkshire, England
Reply #10 - Oct 1st, 2005 at 4:35pm

When at a Late Roman re-enactment show, I often use my favourite sling as a belt to hitch up my tunic before I put on my ringmail. I think of the Balaeric slingers everytime I do it!

They shrink for fear, abated of their rage,&&Nor longer dare in a blind fight engage;&&Contented now to gall them from below&&With darts and slings, and with the distant bow.&&&&Aeneid 9.503&&
IP Logged

Naiyor
Descens

My sling-a-ling, My sling-a-ling,
I want you to..

Canada
Reply #11 - Oct 3rd, 2005 at 4:19pm

one may be able to conceal the sling by forming it into some sort of Thong underwear

You can use the pouch as a...ahem....*cough, cough* Embarrassed

I am sure no one would want to steal your sling!

and you might impart some "Crotchly Essence" into your ammunition.

Sorry...I a tad strange!

IP Logged

britishslinger

slings the handheld arlilery

Reply #12 - Oct 4th, 2005 at 4:01pm

the pouch wont hold enough 'soft tissue'

listen to old people

IP Logged

Naiyor
Descens

My sling-a-ling, My sling-a-ling,
I want you to..

Canada
Reply #13 - Oct 4th, 2005 at 4:26pm

lol  Cheesy

IP Logged

Smudge

Sticks and stones WILL
brake your bones.

everywhere
Reply #14 - Oct 4th, 2005 at 6:09pm

...the family jewels...he he, I'm so immature

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Morphy, vetryan15, joe_meadmaker, Kick, Chris, Rat Man, Curious Aardvark)