Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
I need help with figure 8 (Read 3878 times)
kid
Tiro

I love Slinging.org!

I need help with figure 8
Sep 30th, 2005 at 8:43am

Try as I might I canot get the figure eight.  For some reason I cannot view many of the video clips but I have read all the descriptions and studied the drawings.  If anyone has any suggestions I would appreciate it.

IP Logged

sv
Funditor

ireland
Re: I need help with figure 8
Reply #1 - Sep 30th, 2005 at 8:55am

stick to greek overhand - fig 8 is difficult (for some people) to master, and you could spend more productive slinging time with something tha gets results. i'm only just getting fig 8 sorted after 10 months of slinging. it still strains my arm  tho... the best way i think is to start with the stone held out in front, then let it fall behind your back, then bring the sling forward as if you're throwing a javelin.
one day it will just click, and you'll be doing it.
sv

IP Logged

Africa_Slinger

I love Slinging.org!

Johannesburg, South Africa
Reply #2 - Sep 30th, 2005 at 9:26am

Hi kid.

Lets try.

Presuming you are right handed.

The sling is in your right hand (held just under the rib cage) and you are holding the ammo and pouch with your left hand (horisontal to the ground and the cords facing lenthwise in the direction of the target. Let go of the ammo and pouch wich will make it drop in an arc towards the ground. You have to trace the same arc with your hand and arm. As the ammo and pouch go past your right leg and as it pass lift your hand and arm to almost behind your head, slightly twist your wrist to the left, making the sling complete one full rotation to the left of your body. As it circles behind your back feel how the sling generates momentum at the pouch wich is your que to prepare for the cast.

I would also suggest that you first try without a sling.

Extend your right arm straight out in front of you (direction you are looking). Keeping it straight let your arm come down past your right leg (elbow facing towards your body) and to 180 degrees to where it came from. Bend your elbow at this stage and from behind your head, touch your left ear. You will now notice that your hand can not go down from your ear mich futher and that you have to twist your wrist to make your hand come diagonally agross the back of your head (left to right) and extending your arm to the original starting point.

It also helps if you look at the pouch through as much of the cast as you can. Notice how your head is making a figure 8. (do not do this with ammo in the pouch)

Hope all this long windednes helps.

Coenie Cheesy

Keep your shoulder to the wheel&&Your hand to the helm&&Your eye on the ball&&Your nose to the grindstone&&Your ear to the ground&&And you will not have time to put your foot in your mouth.&&&&(unknown)

IP Logged

Africa_Slinger

I love Slinging.org!

Johannesburg, South Africa
Reply #3 - Sep 30th, 2005 at 9:33am

Me again.  Roll Eyes

I forgot to add that the 2nd paragraf is a grossly exagerated figure 8 training tool and you will realise that the movements are not that bold when you use a sling.

Smiley Wink Cheesy Grin Tongue

Keep your shoulder to the wheel&&Your hand to the helm&&Your eye on the ball&&Your nose to the grindstone&&Your ear to the ground&&And you will not have time to put your foot in your mouth.&&&&(unknown)

IP Logged

Tint
Interfector Viris Spurii
Past Moderator

Hong Kong
Reply #4 - Oct 1st, 2005 at 6:17am

I learned the figure 8 by looking at this:

http://www.ifp.uiuc.edu/~anilrao/serve.html

and imagine that he is slinging.

Hope that helps.

IP Logged

kid
Tiro

I love Slinging.org!

Reply #5 - Oct 3rd, 2005 at 8:17am

Thank you  for the help-I think I am getting it but so far I don't like it-I will keep trying.  Again thanks.

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #6 - Oct 3rd, 2005 at 11:25am

having watched the tennis-ball-wife-trauma video I thought I'd give it a go. Conclusion, it doesn't work very well with a short sling. Long sling stylee only I reckon.
A standard overhand throw is easier and at least as effective.

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

justbarak

Nashville, TN
Reply #7 - Oct 6th, 2005 at 12:05am

I don't have my little video camera, but I might be able to find something tape a bit of a demo with and some practice exercises...  But here is a quick verbal sketch.

Get a stick that's approximately one meter long and has a bit of weight to it (a centimeter or two in diameter is good).  Assuming you are right handed perform a basic "upwards" figure eight like you are holding a sword:

1. Stand squarely and hold the stick down by your right leg
2. swing it up towards your left shoulder and let it drop down behind your left shoulder
3.  Cross is back up in front of you towards your right shoulder and let in drop down behind your right shoulder
4. Cross it back towards your left shoulder etc etc etc

That's the motion for an upwards figure eight.  Each cross in front of you would be like an upward slash with a sword.  With the stick there is a of course a lot of wrist movement to make the stick flow smoothly.  It will be the same with the sling.

People naturally do this movement in the opposite downward figure eight where instead of the motion slashing up towards the opposing shoulder it slashes down towards the opposing foot.    When I teach people the figure eight and they practice these basic exercise with a sling, they have a lot of trouble getting the upwards figure eight and always end up back in the downwards figure eight.

So why is this important?  Once you are comfortable with the upwards figure eight while standing squarely the next step is to do it sideways.

1.  Stand square and start doing an upwards figure eight.
2.  While doing the upwards figure eight turn 90 degrees to the left without changing the direction of the figure eight. 
3.  Your figure eight should now be passing behind your right are and in front of your right arm (instead of right shoulder left shoulder).

Your eyes are of course watching your right hand perform this motion with the stick right?  Turn your head and look over your left shoulder while your right hand continues to point in the opposite direction spinning the upwards figure eight.  You are now in a stance that is almost the figure eight throw.  When the stick goes behind your right arm, that is the point where you would step forward with you left foot and throw like a baseball.

So now do the some same thing with an empty sling (or a sling with a soft projectile like a footbag).  Stand square and practice the upwards figure eight.  Then continue the figure eight but turn 90 degrees to the left.  Then practice the throw just as the sling drops behind your right arm (which is basically behind your back).

If you can throw a baseball without throwing out your arm, you can throw a sling with the figure eight without hurting yourself.  It's all in the form.  The deceptive picture of the tennis analogy is that your hand moves wide.  It shouldn't. 

The hand should exactly replicate a baseball throw from beginning to end.  Pick up a rock and take a pitchers stance.  You step out with your left foot, and your right hand cocks back just behind your ear with the wrist flipped back over your shoulder.  That same movement with a sling with make the sling drop naturally over your back.  Then your whole body twists forwards as your hand grazes by your ear and your hips twist and you throw the rock.  Same exact movement with the sling.

When the figure eight throw starts to feel tweeky on my shoulder or elbow, it's usually because my form is bad. 

anyway, I'll try and put a little video together - I have  a friend who has a camera I might be able to borrow.  A video is worth a million words.

Barak

WWW justbarak  
IP Logged

Thori
Descens

Reply #8 - May 27th, 2006 at 12:18am

I just wanted to comment on my brother's intuitiveness with this style.  Being in constant proximity of me, he generally ends up trying the new things I choose to try (like slinging), and likewise for his curiosities.  So, seeing as he had some experience with somewhat simpler casting styles, he thought he might try out this weird "criss-cross" thing I was doing.  So I tried to explain it to him, and I'll be slung if he didn't have it worked out within 10 minutes.  It took me weeks!  Good for him.  Smiley

IP Logged

magnumslinger
Descens

I don't sling a thing
if I ain't got my sling!

United Arab Emirates
Reply #9 - May 27th, 2006 at 6:15am

Hmmm! I THOUGHT Tint's tennis skill probably had a lot to do with his unequalled grace and skill with a sling!  His figure 8 speed slinging is the greatest! It's my favorite to watch these days.  Smiley  I still can't do a decent figure eight!  Angry  Grrrrr!  But watching Tint do it gives me hope.  Wink

Slinging.org people are progressive preservers of pre-historic protective, pantry-packing, and post-paleolithic parabellum practices...and they're also generally REALLY COOL!  Their bootlaces are their arsenal, and the world is their ammo dump!

IP Logged

Thori
Descens

Reply #10 - May 27th, 2006 at 9:03am

Tint's a sling ninja, or maybe it's his X-Men power, or something.  It's very cool.

IP Logged

Altay

Romans 8

Gibsonia, PA (USA)
Reply #11 - May 29th, 2006 at 2:59am

Quote:
For some reason I cannot view many of the video clips but I have read all the descriptions and studied the drawings.

Did you look at these movies?
http://www.slinging.org/34.html

I learned by staring in disbelief at how he could bend his arm around like that without hitting himself until I finally (1 or 2 hours) figured it out. I still can't figure out the running start though. When does the skip come? I definitely like to use a long sling with figure-8, though I figured it out on a medium/short.

There are 10 types of people in this world:&&those who understand binary and those who don't&&
&&E=mc^2&&Entertainment = mass * (centripetal acceleration)^2&&
&&Bad spellers of the world untie!&&
&&
IP Logged

Antti
Tiro

I love Slinging.org!

Finland
Reply #12 - May 29th, 2006 at 5:51am

I have problems with figure eight too. I can make the "8" about right, but it feels strange! and the stone flies about 3 meters with a lot of force. (always..)    Sad

Apache style is really easy.. Is it just another name for greek overhand?

IP Logged

Taiki
Interfector Viris Spurii

Don't tell my mom i'm
here will you...

belgium
Reply #13 - May 29th, 2006 at 6:12am

Nope apache and greek are diffrent in thatgreek has an overhead rotation where as apache has no rotation its just a snap across the shoulders and body (good for accuracy mind Wink )

Taiki  
IP Logged

Tint
Interfector Viris Spurii
Past Moderator

Hong Kong
Reply #14 - May 29th, 2006 at 6:14am

Welcome to the forum Antti.

If your stone hits the ground like that, you are probably releasing too late.  You may also want to try aiming up by bending your upper body back a bit like a javelin thrower.  Hope that helps.

see you around,

Tint

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: vetryan15, Kick, joe_meadmaker, Chris, Morphy, Curious Aardvark, Rat Man)