Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Cordage problem (Read 5413 times)
beaverbutt8
Ex Member

Cordage problem
Sep 29th, 2005 at 7:30pm

Hey guys,

Yesterday i was reading on primativeways.com about making cordage. I  fully understand this, but there is a problem. If you twist, oh, say a few piecies of bark or something together, say 5 inches long, if you want to make a long string, how to you connect this short strand to others?? I can't think of any way

Plz Help

Mike

IP Logged

Smudge

Sticks and stones WILL
brake your bones.

everywhere
Re: Cordage problem
Reply #1 - Sep 29th, 2005 at 8:14pm

It tells you how to add on new fibers in the article.  Just overlap the last inch of old fibers on the first inch of new ones and twist it together.  Do this with each side and you can make cordage as long as you want.

IP Logged

Matthias
Past Moderator

Gatineau/Ottawa QC, Canada
Reply #2 - Sep 29th, 2005 at 8:36pm

Right. An even better approach would be to always carry X number of fiber bundles in the yarn. Say you wanted to make a single ply that was 5 strips thick. Rather than starting with 5 and then splicing in 5 more, start with one, then go a ways and add another etc. Once you are up to full thickness, you replace individual strands as they drop out (not need to overlap even, since the other 4 are carrying.

When you are wroking from fibre rather than strips, you just feed new material into the "spinning triangle" as you go, resulting in hundreds of overlaps in a length.

Matthias

IP Logged

beaverbutt8
Ex Member

Reply #3 - Sep 29th, 2005 at 9:46pm

I'm afraid i don't quite understand

IP Logged

Smudge

Sticks and stones WILL
brake your bones.

everywhere
Reply #4 - Sep 29th, 2005 at 10:05pm

Well, if you can't understand the large picture and several paragraph explanation of what to do on the Primitive ways website, then there isn't much that I can do to help you  Undecided.

IP Logged

beaverbutt8
Ex Member

Reply #5 - Sep 29th, 2005 at 10:39pm

which large picture?? I must be missing something

IP Logged

Smudge

Sticks and stones WILL
brake your bones.

everywhere
Reply #6 - Sep 30th, 2005 at 8:00am

Figure 5 in the article.

IP Logged

slingbadger
Interfector Viris Spurii

Don't Badger a Badger

Akron NY
Reply #7 - Sep 30th, 2005 at 11:07am

I think what they're talking about is basically splicing together the ends of the cordage, to join them together. It's and old sailor's-Boy Scout method to bring together cords, rope, etc. A great book, if you can find it, that explains the method is Bushcraft, by Richard Graves. If you happen to have a Scout book, it's explained in there.
    Basically, what you do is take an unraveled section of the cords, and interweave them, so that they are together. The weave, if done right, is suprisingly strong.

The greatest of all the accomplishments of 20th cent. science has been the discovery of human ignorance  The main difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has it's limits.-Einstein   I'm getting psychic as I get older. Or is that psychotic?

IP Logged

beaverbutt8
Ex Member

Reply #8 - Sep 30th, 2005 at 1:17pm

Oh, ok, I have a scout book from the 70's which was my dad's, it actually is WAY more informative than my new scout book, my dad also got me the american boy's handy book a few days ago, VERY useful stuff

IP Logged

Matthias
Past Moderator

Gatineau/Ottawa QC, Canada
Reply #9 - Sep 30th, 2005 at 1:33pm

Splicing is good stuff, and a useful skill to have (why just last week I spent a better part of an hour putting eyesplices on laid rope) but it is not a very efficient way to approach spinning cordage.

If you look at the pictures, you'll see that before you run out of the bundle of bark etc that you are spinning, you overlap in some new stuff. The twist holds it together... simple. With plied rope (more than one twisted strand, that are then twist together in the oposite direction) the plying action "locks" the individual parts, and they shouldn't come undone.

Matthias

IP Logged

beaverbutt8
Ex Member

Reply #10 - Sep 30th, 2005 at 2:47pm

Could you show me a picture??

IP Logged

Willeke
Interfector Viris Spurii
Past Moderator

Give me some string and
I know what to do.

Netherlands
Reply #11 - Sep 30th, 2005 at 2:48pm

Did you look at the pictures I made?

Willeke

"Never underestimate what a simple person can do with clever tools, nor what a clever person can do with simple tools." - Ian Fieggen - Writer of A booklet on lanyards, PM for info - Member IGKT, Netherlands
Bad spellers of the world: untie!
IP Logged

beaverbutt8
Ex Member

Reply #12 - Sep 30th, 2005 at 4:07pm

which ones?

IP Logged

Smudge

Sticks and stones WILL
brake your bones.

everywhere
Reply #13 - Sep 30th, 2005 at 4:14pm

There are pictures on the primitive ways website.

IP Logged

beaverbutt8
Ex Member

Reply #14 - Sep 30th, 2005 at 5:18pm

www.templelooters.com/evil/images/gabm-02.jpg

I dont get any of this! I tried overlapping and the strings just came apart as soon as an pressure was applied!
« Last Edit: Sep 30th, 2005 at 7:32pm by N/A »  

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Masiakasaurus, Curious Aardvark, Mauro Fiorentini, Chris, Rat Man, Bill Skinner, David Morningstar)