Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
And one more joins the fray.. (Read 3881 times)
Zywack
Tiro

Slinging for the soul

Canada
And one more joins the fray..
Sep 22nd, 2005 at 12:59pm

Maybe it is called picking up lost time. Maybe there is simply no true reasons why. I never threw rocks when I was younger, or anything similar. How is it that comming across this website (From a link from a military strategy game board no less), I found slinging to be appear interesting, I have no ideas. I read about the various techniques, checked a few videos and images, read the board a little. I figured that I had nothing to lose by trying make a sling and doing a throw or two, except by feeling a bit silly and possibly knocking myself out with my own rock.

I used the instructions given by the first "sling-making" guide on the main webpage: Very nicely done for people with 0 craft experience like myself. I went to a field, and checked about for ammo. I found only about 15 barely useable rocks, but hey, I wasn't going for accuracy, only for throwing the thing in the right direction.

I'm happy to report the following observations after throwing those rocks, using what I *think* is the standard overhand and underhand with one spin (No experimenting this early  Wink):
1) Contrary to expectations, the rocks actually went foward.
2) The rocks went on "only" a 120 degree spread. Much better than the 360 degree spread I was fearing.
3) A sling have a reach of up to 10m using overhand.
4) I would think a sling would be a potential tool for bowling using underhand throws. At least, based on my rocks being sent directly rolling on the ground.
5) A stone placed in the middle of the sling stays inside during the rotation. A stone mistakenly placed half-hanging outside doesn't. At least it still went foward.
6) No windows, cars, animals or heads were harmed in any way.

The conclusion of the observations is this: The slinging community got itself a new member. Not a slinger who will ever throw far or accuratly, but one who loved his first experience with a sling and is looking foward to his next rock-throwing session. Although I'm fully aware it was a pathetic display at best, it was certainly a fun one. Both in knowing there's so much to improve and both in simply having a fun relaxing time.

In the end, I'd like to give a big thank you to the owner(s) of the site and every member here for having helped me find a new, fun and simple hobby! Cheesy

IP Logged

Yahweh Bless you in Yeshua
Interfector Viris Spurii

Matthew 11:25-30

Re: And one more joins the fray..
Reply #1 - Sep 22nd, 2005 at 1:56pm

Zywack, welcome to the forum.

Peace,

TS

Blessings in Yeshua!&&

IP Logged

Naiyor
Descens

My sling-a-ling, My sling-a-ling,
I want you to..

Canada
Reply #2 - Sep 22nd, 2005 at 2:03pm

Welcome to the Forum,

I too have had little experience with slings until I came across this site (I was reading about ancient weapons in the Wikipedia). I thought *wow* this seems like it would be fun and inexpensive. (Plus having moved to a city, I needed a new outdoor hobby). I made one of Dan's braided slings and went at it...

Now I am hooked!

Great to have another member!

Cheers

IP Logged

Chaotic Rage

Vous etes saoul!

Reply #3 - Sep 22nd, 2005 at 3:58pm

Welcome Zywack! It's great to see new people come in all the time. It's also cool to know that slinging.org is spreading to other websites like that board. It's popular!!

&&
Roychipoqua  
IP Logged

Tint
Interfector Viris Spurii
Past Moderator

Hong Kong
Reply #4 - Sep 22nd, 2005 at 4:42pm

Zyawack,

Welcome!  See you around!

I believe you are the first to suggest bowling with the sling! Grin

IP Logged

sv
Funditor

ireland
Reply #5 - Sep 22nd, 2005 at 6:28pm

zywack, there is no reason why you won't throw far and accurately with practice. everyone has to start somewhere, and the sling isn't like a gun, or even a bow. most people  pick one up and be ok with it within a short time. my first shots hit the ground and hurt my shoulder muscles, and it's taken me nearly a year to be accurate to within a few feet or less at 30 yards, and my throws are now effortless. i practice every day minimum 10 minutes, usually 1/2 hour. there's far better slingers than me here though, so i am always trying to improve. be warned, once the bug bites you won't even feel comfortable unless you have one with you. good luck!
sv

IP Logged

Smudge

Sticks and stones WILL
brake your bones.

everywhere
Reply #6 - Sep 22nd, 2005 at 7:03pm

It's good to know that this website is here to help slinging beginers, I taught myself and had quite a bit of failure at first. Undecided

IP Logged

Gun
Interfector Viris Spurii
Past Moderator

Slinging  Viking

The Ozarks of Ark & Mo
Reply #7 - Sep 24th, 2005 at 9:27am

When i started there was no website. Just a small article in a not well known magazine that taught me. Welcome to the forum.

"A Knifeless man is a lifeless man" Old Nordic Proverb

IP Logged

Zwiebeltuete
Descens

Fly! Angel, fly!

Germany, near Nuremberg
Reply #8 - Sep 24th, 2005 at 10:55am

I tried today my self-braided sling in a field with the stones I found there.  Almost all stones were in an arc of +/- 25° from the desired direction. Max. distance was about 10-20m. (I am not that good at guessing distances.) I used mostly the helicoper style with 1-2 rotations for this. Sling length about 60cm when folded.

Part of the distance problem are certainly the stones. They are uneven and to light. The larger ones there were like disks and sliped out.

The most important part accounting for the distance problem is certainly the slinging technic. It is like when I began with Golf. I did the overall movement correct, but I missed all the little tricks to improve the speed.

People write here they are better when they don't force the slinging. It is the same in Golf. Trying to hit the ball with force is bad. I have heard that because of this it is easier to learn Golf for women.

Slinging since 2005-09-24.
IP Logged

Zwiebeltuete
Descens

Fly! Angel, fly!

Germany, near Nuremberg
Reply #9 - Sep 27th, 2005 at 10:51am

I tried on sunday more slinging. In return I got a distance of about 30m and aching muscles. It is really the same as Golf. When you start training Golf muscles ache of which you never have even heard of.

IP Logged

Chris
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Rocks!

USA
Reply #10 - Sep 27th, 2005 at 3:33pm

Welcome Zywack.

Chris

IP Logged

sv
Funditor

ireland
Reply #11 - Sep 27th, 2005 at 7:11pm

try and make it effortless, like skipping a stone across the water, that kind of casual snappy release. it took me a while to realise that sore shoulder and tennis elbow isn't necessary. do not (and this is only my personal experience) try the apache style at first, you only hit the ground and hurt your muscles. try a single wind-up and a sidearm release. it's the snap at release that's the key, don't just let one end of the sling go from a rotary movement.
best of luck!
sv

IP Logged

Zywack
Tiro

Slinging for the soul

Canada
Reply #12 - Sep 28th, 2005 at 9:30am

Thanks for the welcome!

After a few more slinging sessions, I can say that basic improvement comes amazingly fast with slinging. I wasn't expecting getting about 3 times the distance I used to get two days before. Of course, 3*(Tiny distance) = (Still tiny distance), but I'll keep it as a percentage instead Smiley It's fun, it's decent exercise, it's challenging but still relaxing, I couldn't ask for more.

I haven't experienced any real sore or tennis arm syndrome like you did Zwiebeltuete, but then I'm not using the same technique as you. I personally just use the standard overhand and underhand (Underhand mainly), which is basically one spin clockwise or counterclockwise in the vertical axis before release, if I understood the descriptions in the articles well. I can see that being much less straining than your technique.

For golf, well... I can sling a stone further than I can hit a golf ball. I suppose it's excusable for having golfed once, but maybe if they allowed sling golfing I could get a hole in less than 6 for once!

IP Logged

Zwiebeltuete
Descens

Fly! Angel, fly!

Germany, near Nuremberg
Reply #13 - Sep 28th, 2005 at 12:32pm

It seems to me the snap at the end is the most demanding part of a swing regarding my shoulder.

I had also my factor of three improvement in my slinging from the first to the second day (10m -> 30m), but my golf is still better (120m). My main aim is really accuracy and then comes distance. What good is it if I can get a golf ball to fly 300m when it is flying into the completely wrong direction?

There is a difference between golf and slinging: The physics of golf seems to me much easier. If the golf ball flies that curve the club must have hit it that way.

Btw. has someone tried a diskus throwing like slinging? I.e. the sling going behind the back to the front and then with the throwing arm a diskus throwing like movement.

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #14 - Sep 28th, 2005 at 4:35pm

yep think tint videoed that. Called it backhand :-)

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Kick, Chris, Curious Aardvark, Rat Man, Morphy, joe_meadmaker, vetryan15)