civil unrest (Read 9993 times)
Gun
Interfector Viris Spurii
Past Moderator

Slinging  Viking

The Ozarks of Ark & Mo
Re: civil unrest
Reply #30 - Sep 17th, 2005 at 10:47pm

You not a sniper unless you have done everything that Smudge said and have a rifle that is worth more than most peoples cars.

"A Knifeless man is a lifeless man" Old Nordic Proverb

IP Logged

Douglas_The_Black
Interfector Viris Spurii

Hakkaa päälle!

Salineville Ohio
Reply #31 - Sep 18th, 2005 at 9:36am

and even then you may not make it... Smiley

i live in a maze of typo's&&&& popularity is for dolls a hero cannot be popular-Ralph Waldo Emerson&&&&DTB-master of the corny vest, and crappy carpet!
randelflagg22002  
IP Logged

Dale
Interfector Viris Spurii

California, USA
Reply #32 - Sep 18th, 2005 at 12:54pm

A little late into the game, but here is something to consider.

Most occupations have their own technical jargons.  It is apparent from the preceding discussion that the word "sniper" has two meanings: one that is common usage, and one that is part of military technical jargon.

Appealing to Answers.com, or even the Merriam-Webster Dictionary of the English Language, does not give the "civilian" definition any more authority than the "military" definition.

Two people arguing over whether someone else is, or is not, a sniper, cannot possibly come to an agreement or even decide who "won" the argument, when one is using one definition and the other is using the other definition.

The only possible winners of such an argument are those who choose not to participate.

No, I don't live in a glass house.&&&&"If builders built buildings the way programmers write programs, then the first woodpecker that came along would destroy civilization."&&&&Context matters!  "Nothing but net" is a BAD thing in tennis...
IP Logged

ben_banned
Interfector Viris Spurii

Reply #33 - Sep 18th, 2005 at 2:04pm

^^^
wiseness

zero tolerance=zero intelligence

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #34 - Oct 1st, 2005 at 2:40pm

what in the nine hells has a discussion about snipers got to do with civil unrest in northern ireland ?
And yes it's a bloody good job they don't use slings as cobble stones are a favourite hand thrown ammunition. Add a sling and you've got cobble stones coming in from several streets away.
nasty.

Wonder how far you could sling a northen ireland molotov ? Also scary thought. When I was growing up people I knew were frequently sent on tours of NI - and you never knew if they were coming back or not -  bad days. So lets keep slings out of NI :-)  
Mind you living in germany the baader meinhof were also pretty active when I was a kid, wonder why all of a sudden terrorists have to be islamic ?  

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

Smudge

Sticks and stones WILL
brake your bones.

everywhere
Reply #35 - Oct 4th, 2005 at 8:20am

Because it seems to me that the Islamic terrorists are a new breed of terrorist,  just as there are different types of the same disease, there are different types of terrorists.  The Islamic militants are the people who are literaly willing, or possibly overjoyed, to strap a bomb on their chest for "god" and kill or maim the people they claim to be fighting for.  Remember the casualties are made up of little kids and women too.

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #36 - Oct 6th, 2005 at 12:02pm

The baader meinhof were a bunch of nutters who were around in germany in the 70's. I mainly remember the posters in the post office and shops with (obviously in german) most wanted on them. They were unusual in that one of them - meinhof - was a woman - I'm sure any search on dogpile will bring up a lot more than I can remember.
Possibly communist, but also probably just unpleasant individuals with a grudge against everything.
[url]http://www.crimelibrary.com/terrorists/baader/[/url]
this seems to tell you more than you'll ever want to know. I do remember going shopping one day and there was a policeman sat on the bonnet of his car in the pedestrianised area of the town with a sub machine gun cradled across his lap -  trust me you didn't see this often in heinsberg :-). Apparently one of the gang were being chased in the area and he was waiting for them to come down that street. The german police don't mess about.

I suppose with the general demise of marxism, which seemed to fuel the majority of terrorism in the 70's and 80's islam has taken a front seat.
But if you look at actual numbers of incidents, islamic terrorism is still fairly low. Apart from the world trade centre in the us, the greatest act of terrorism to date was by Timothy McVeigh. A home grown old fashioned anti-government terrorist.
Then of course you've got the una bomber - did fairly well for quite a long time. Then more recently there was the washington sniper. Now simply because these people aren't part of some global religious crusade, does not make them any the less terrorists.
Admittedly al-quiada have committed the single largest attack. But it's the only one to date. America's own home grown terrorists have over the years inflicted more terror in quite a large number of incidents.
I suppose I'm saying don't get too great a case of tunnel vision.
And look on the bright side, suicide bombers - by definition - only ever commit one bombing. Whereas most other terrorists manage to commit several, at least, before they are caught/shot.

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

Smudge

Sticks and stones WILL
brake your bones.

everywhere
Reply #37 - Oct 6th, 2005 at 6:35pm

[quote author=curious_aardvark  link=1126748071/40#44 date=1128614529]And look on the bright side, suicide bombers - by definition - only ever commit one bombing. Whereas most other terrorists manage to commit several, at least, before they are caught/shot. [/quote]

Yeah but they're still making 90% of the deaths of Baghdad civilians.

IP Logged

Gun
Interfector Viris Spurii
Past Moderator

Slinging  Viking

The Ozarks of Ark & Mo
Reply #38 - Oct 6th, 2005 at 8:23pm

Quote:
Yeah but they're still making 90% of the deaths of Baghdad civilians.

It seams to be working. Everyone wants out of Iraq now.

IP Logged

ben_banned
Interfector Viris Spurii

Reply #39 - Oct 6th, 2005 at 8:44pm

because their wimps

IP Logged

Gun
Interfector Viris Spurii
Past Moderator

Slinging  Viking

The Ozarks of Ark & Mo
Reply #40 - Oct 7th, 2005 at 8:34pm

I really didn't mean the people there, event though they may want out now to since the government can extended a person tour over there listed time. I mean the people here in usa. It seams everyday more and more people want to just get out of there right a way. If we left know we would be doing the iraqies worse.

IP Logged

ben_banned
Interfector Viris Spurii

Reply #41 - Oct 7th, 2005 at 8:43pm

like i said, wimps

IP Logged

Smudge

Sticks and stones WILL
brake your bones.

everywhere
Reply #42 - Oct 7th, 2005 at 11:09pm

I won't shed any tears if the U.S. pulls out of Iraq, its not as if the terrorists have any plan of what to do once they overun a government.  Also, did anyone hear Bush's speech on what he thinks would happen if we pulled out of Iraq?  He basically believes that a domino effect will occur, staring in Iraq, and spreading to the rest of the middle-east. He then says that a radical Islamic state spreading from Spain to Indonesia will form.  Didn't we find out with Vietnam and communism that the domino effect can not happen?  We thought that communism would spread throughout the countries of southeast Asia like wildfire, and it did not.  History disagrees with Mr. Bush's reasoning.

IP Logged

ben_banned
Interfector Viris Spurii

Reply #43 - Oct 7th, 2005 at 11:26pm

who was allies with the veitkong?

IP Logged

Smudge

Sticks and stones WILL
brake your bones.

everywhere
Reply #44 - Oct 8th, 2005 at 12:04am

The NVA.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Rat Man, Mauro Fiorentini, Bill Skinner, Curious Aardvark, David Morningstar, Chris, Masiakasaurus)