Pages: 1 2 3 4
Send Topic Print
civil unrest (Read 10041 times)
sv
Funditor

ireland
civil unrest
Sep 14th, 2005 at 9:34pm

in northern ireland recently there has been severe rioting, by so-called loyalists. one man has a crossbow shot from his hands by an army sniper (he was shot through the arm in fact)  the question is, if slings were used instead of the traditional stones and petrol bombs, would the casualty list be greater? if so, isn't there a case for keeping the sling out of public awareness?
sv

IP Logged

ben_banned
Interfector Viris Spurii

Re: civil unrest
Reply #1 - Sep 14th, 2005 at 9:35pm

errr idont know.....but thats one hell of a shot!

zero tolerance=zero intelligence

IP Logged

sv
Funditor

ireland
Reply #2 - Sep 14th, 2005 at 9:40pm

it was at 150 yards no less - but i could hit a cigarette packet at 300 yards when i was in the territorial army - with open sights too!
sv

IP Logged

ben_banned
Interfector Viris Spurii

Reply #3 - Sep 14th, 2005 at 10:15pm

in a crowd of people?

IP Logged

Smudge

Sticks and stones WILL
brake your bones.

everywhere
Reply #4 - Sep 15th, 2005 at 12:15am

The record for longest sniper shot in combat right now is held by a Canadian sniper would killed a taliban insurgent in Afghanistan at a distance of over 2400 yards with a .50 caliber sniper rifle.  The previous record was held by Carlos Hathcock in the Vietnam war who killed a member of the NVA at around 2250 yards using a modified M-2 machine gun designed by John Browning.
« Last Edit: Sep 15th, 2005 at 6:23pm by Smudge »  

IP Logged

Smudge

Sticks and stones WILL
brake your bones.

everywhere
Reply #5 - Sep 15th, 2005 at 12:22am

Also, snipers almost always have spotters.  The sniper himself is uaually armed with a slow-firing rifle such as a Winchester model 700 or Remington model 70 in the 30-06 caliber or larger.  The spotter would tell the sniper where to take a follow-up shot if he was unlucky enough to miss the target and would be armed with a rifle that functioned as both a sniper rifle but could function in close quarters (such as the M-14).  A lone sniper is almost an expendable soldier, as they were sure to die if the enemy flanked their position.

IP Logged

ben_banned
Interfector Viris Spurii

Reply #6 - Sep 15th, 2005 at 4:48pm

Quote:
The record for longest sniper shot in combat right now is held by a Canadian sniper would killed a taliban insurgent in Afghanistan at a distance of over 2000 yards with a .50 caliber sniper rifle..

where did you hear that i dont think thats right its in the geneva convention that you can not hit people with a .50 cal sniper rifle

IP Logged

Smudge

Sticks and stones WILL
brake your bones.

everywhere
Reply #7 - Sep 15th, 2005 at 6:19pm

Funslinger, go to your local library or bookstore and get your hands on the book Whitefeather or any other information on snipers.  A sniper would not necessarily need a spotter on an assasination mission, but for jungle or open desert combat they were needed.  I've even heard of three-man sniper teams in Iraq.  And ben_banned, why in the world would .50 cal rifles be banned by the Geneva Convention?  They kill a person just as fast as a 30-06 and possibly even more humanely than an M-16's .223.  Go to Answers.com and type in Sniper or Carlos Hathcock.  Not only is the .50 cal the standard anti-vehicle and anti-personnel cartridge used by the world's armies today, some armies in Europe use an even bigger cartridge.  Also, the .50 cal is the only cartridge whose bullet would have enough knockdown force to take out a person reliably after traveling 2000+ yards.

IP Logged

ben_banned
Interfector Viris Spurii

Reply #8 - Sep 15th, 2005 at 7:11pm

yea its only used for knocking out vehichiles and such at least during desert storm it was against the geneva convention i dont know why they would change it

IP Logged

sv
Funditor

ireland
Reply #9 - Sep 15th, 2005 at 7:18pm

with regards to rifle range, "Pre-1916 Lee-Enfields were also equipped with interesting device, called the "volley" sights. This device was mounted at the left side of the stock, ahead of the magazine, and was used to provide an indirect fire capability at the ranges from 2 000 and up to outstanding 3 900 yards (1800 - 3550 meters).
i think that the lee enfields i shot with in the army cadets were sighted up to 2000 yards. 1000 yards for a reasonably proficient shooter is not a difficult shot, at a man-sized target.
terrorists in ireland have sniped at soldiers with a barret light 50 "anti-tank" rifle, which is .50 cal. the bullet is the same calibre as some fighter aircraft guns, including the  sabre jet fighter.
i have never been in any military action and am now too old for service, but i would not have been a sniper, despite the fact that i was an above-average shot. i lack the necessary patience and would not enjoy that kind of soldiering, it seems a bit too cold-blooded .
the best ever book on sniping is "sniping in france" by hestketh pritchard, an officer who single-handedly developed british sniping tactics in world war 1.
sv

IP Logged

ben_banned
Interfector Viris Spurii

Reply #10 - Sep 15th, 2005 at 7:33pm

I did some research and i got two answers "its forbidden" and, "thats a myth"  Ill as my DI tomorrow

IP Logged

Smudge

Sticks and stones WILL
brake your bones.

everywhere
Reply #11 - Sep 15th, 2005 at 7:39pm

The point is why would it be against any law?  You have an enraged group of Muslim holy war fighters that are hell-bent to kill you with their AK-47's and RPG's.  So why would it be against the Geneva Convention to shoot them?  You're not really damaging the environment or anything of that sort, you're just using a really powerful cartridge to reach out and tap them.  I can't believe I'm even arguing about this.  Look it up online.

IP Logged

ben_banned
Interfector Viris Spurii

Reply #12 - Sep 15th, 2005 at 7:55pm

how many innocent families walls do you think a .50 cal bullet would go through?

IP Logged

ben_banned
Interfector Viris Spurii

Reply #13 - Sep 15th, 2005 at 8:38pm

yeah ive seen that i just wonder if its real it almost seems as if it was manipulated

IP Logged

ben_banned
Interfector Viris Spurii

Reply #14 - Sep 15th, 2005 at 9:02pm

what do you  mean contents? lol

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Mauro Fiorentini, Bill Skinner, David Morningstar, Curious Aardvark, Rat Man, Chris, Masiakasaurus)