Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
slinging for food and survival in the wild (Read 2730 times)
pancaker

Ohio
slinging for food and survival in the wild
Sep 3rd, 2005 at 4:24am

Would anyone here be interested in a Pacific Crest Trail thru-hike without re-supply stops? If I ever get decent enough at slinging to hunt small animals, I think I would like to try. I don't know if this is possible because of hunting rules, but I like the idea.

No re-supply would mean no fuel, so this would require a portable wood stove for cooking. I’m not sure if these are allowed by the park/forest services. If they’re not, then an Appalachian Trail without re-supply stops should be fun as well. I think the AT allows wood stoves.

I probably won’t be good enough at slinging in the foreseeable future, but I’m curious to see if there’s any interest.

The Pacific Crest Trail and the Appalachian Trail are two very long hiking trails that run roughly North-South, in the western and eastern halves of the United States, respectively.

IP Logged

english
Ex Member

Re: slinging for food and survival in the wild
Reply #1 - Sep 3rd, 2005 at 7:29am

I'd really like to do the AT, without food stops.  A couple of throwing sticks, a digging stick and a bow would be enough, but I'd want to carry quite a lot of food to begin with to make sure I could do it.  But it's certainly something I've seriously thought about.  Not with a sling, though - I won't ever be good enough, I don't think.  In Shenandoah, there's lots and lots of small game to eat - I remember squirrels coming to eat our food, wild turkeys walking about, that kind of thing.  And there's always the chance of a bear.

IP Logged

Mike_R
Funditor

Reply #2 - Sep 3rd, 2005 at 11:26pm

Come to Canada, lots of real isolated hiking areas. No suppliy stops because there are really no people or places to get supplies for hundreds of miles!

You bring yer diggin sticks, I'll bring a bit more. I like to head out for about seven to ten days, but I take my sling, a tent, thermarest, food, fishing rod, .303 enfield rifle, short shotgun (for grizzly bears), gps, compass, ultra-light camping stove that burns naphalene, some knives, flares, sleeping bag, snowshoes, crampons, and so on. I like to take my kayak so I can also take my bow, and piles more gear.

Every now and then some tourist wanders off (usually only ten minutes from a city like vancouver) in shorts and sandals going for a hike with his diggin stick. Then the search and rescue find his frozen corpse three days later. Not to mock diggin sticks, but at the very least I would take warm clothes, emergency flares, first aid gear, signal mirror, a tent, water purification tablets (halazone or chlorine) emergency fire starting gear (usually a lighter and some kind of solid petrolium stuff)and so on.

Fuel burning stoves really are the only way to go, what if everyone went around hacking up all the trees to burn? When I catch city folks up in the alpine burning up yew and cedar trees that took four hundred years to grow 8 feet high I'm glad I brought a rifle. Plus with the increased forest fire hazard in the last few years in north america open fires are banned in many places.

IP Logged

english
Ex Member

Reply #3 - Sep 4th, 2005 at 9:33am

Yeah, I'm not saying I'd go and hike the whole of the AT, or even just section-hike it, without a tent and good clothing, and a cooking system.  I know how cold it can get in New England, even in Summer.

IP Logged

ben_banned
Interfector Viris Spurii

Reply #4 - Sep 5th, 2005 at 1:10pm

that sounds cool

zero tolerance=zero intelligence

IP Logged

pancaker

Ohio
Reply #5 - Sep 5th, 2005 at 7:44pm

Mike_R,

I don't doubt that fuelled stoves are the way to go, but I have heard of people using wood-fired stoves on long hikes without problems. There should be enough kindling on the ground (assuming there's no snow) to cook a meal or two.

I would LOVE to come to Canada, I hear it's beautiful land.
Not too keen on the Grizzlies though...  =]

How in the world to you carry that much gear? Must weigh a ton! I'm very unhappy when my pack weighs more than 25kilos... Maybe I'm just a wimp

IP Logged

Mike_R
Funditor

Reply #6 - Sep 5th, 2005 at 8:20pm

It is a bit of gear. I use new tents, sleeping bags, thermarests, stoves, and so on. The new high-tech stuff is super light. I try to kayak out down a big lake, or up the ocean coast also. I can get about 300 pounds of gear in my kayak. It holds about 275 litres volume in the storage hatches. Or in the winter I snowshoe, and pull a sled behind me.

The lightest I take is about 50-65 lbs of camping gear plus 20 lbs for a rifle, a short shotgun, and ammo.

New stoves are fairly fuel efficient, I use a msr dragonfly, and I take two 750ml bottles of naphalene (or white gas or whatever) for about a week.

The wood chip burning stoves I have seen are pretty hard on fuel. They use chipped wood, and you need nice hard wood and not punky windfalls to get them going.

Sometimes if the risk of fire is low, or it is winter, I make a small campfire. I dig a hole, line it with rocks, make a low ring of rocks around the top. Put a couple of big flat rocks on top, leaving about one quarter uncovered. Then I dig a channel for air to enter. Most times the whole fire is down in the hole and not resting on the ground. It will burn very hot and smokeless. I make coals and then use it like an oven and cover the open part. You can get a lot of cooking from a little bit of wood.

IP Logged

ben_banned
Interfector Viris Spurii

Reply #7 - Sep 5th, 2005 at 8:20pm

i would rather go to some unheard of place hike find a place camp for a day or two and move on maybe even 3 days.  with like a group of 8 people

IP Logged

slingerkid

Job 39-42

Taranaki, New Zealand
Reply #8 - Oct 6th, 2005 at 8:23pm

Call me an idiot and all - but whats a digging stick?

The Earth moved, and the object hit the universe, as a chair, hitting the object. The crowd leaves to avoid itself. You are of the dream you once had tomorrow. Let go of the hand that holds itself, and it will let go of yourself.
IP Logged

ben_banned
Interfector Viris Spurii

Reply #9 - Oct 6th, 2005 at 8:45pm

appearantley its a sharp stick or sop im told id rather bring an e-tool

IP Logged

Naiyor
Descens

My sling-a-ling, My sling-a-ling,
I want you to..

Canada
Reply #10 - Oct 7th, 2005 at 2:31pm

My cousin did some minimalist camping before. canoe, axe, hunting knife, matches, some fishing line and a couple of hooks, some rope and 2 days food and water....was out for 6 days before he got fed up with the mosquitos and black flies.

I am tempted to go with him next time.

He is putting thie finishing touches on a hand made birch bark canoe he is building...the thing is beautiful.

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #11 - Oct 8th, 2005 at 10:56am

yeah but blackflies. I hate those damn things.
The two biggest problems with canada are the blackfly and the mozzies. Other than that It's a great place :-)

I do like the idea of a wilderness hike with 300lb of gear. But why not go the whole hog and just hire an RV ?
It sounds like the amount of gear they take on the arctic/antarctic hikes that last months.

I'm not saying I'd be any different - Hell the first thing I belt on when I get up is my gerber and that's just for being in the house :-). But I do have a little more sympathy with the more minimalist members of the forum.

I wouldn't mind going on a wilderness hike with some of the north american indians that still have their traditions.
They seem to take a stand somewhere between the axe, stick and loincloth and the 300lb of gear plus a crate of beer approach.

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Bill Skinner, Chris, David Morningstar, Curious Aardvark, Rat Man, Mauro Fiorentini, Masiakasaurus)